LED thrower suitable for gun mounting?

ateallthepies

Enlightened
Hi all,

I live in the U.K and am a member of a few airgun forums and would like some recommendations of suitable gun lights to share with other air-gunners?

Can I start off by saying I have recently bought a Fenix TK11 R2 and while the range is stated as 'up to 200 metres' I think this is a bit optimistic and the beam does spread quite a bit and identifying anything at 200 yards by naked eye is very hard.

What I am after is a LED torch that has a compatible remote/tape switch for starters.
It has to give a very good narrow beam to at least 150 yards and be capable of being able to identify Fox and Rabbit size targets through a scope at this range with ease.
Runtime is somewhat unimportant as 18650 batteries are small and easy to carry spares, but a full output for over an hour would be nice, more if possible.
The light needs to be able to have adjustable brightness levels so allow close in vermin shooting without scaring them off!
The torch needs to have a diameter of 25mm (1 inch) or 30mm or there abouts, so as to fit standard mounting brackets here.

The main thing though is brightness of beam at range. It just needs to be able to easily identify small vermin so we don't go shooting the neighbours cat :D

Thanks for any suggestions,

Steve.

maxilux

Enlightened
When it is not to big for you a Tiablo A9 when this is not enough throw than try it with Collimator Head, there is a remote switch from Tiablo too.
When it is to big than Olight M20, SMO with remote switch.

ateallthepies

Enlightened
Just been looking at a U.K store site at the Tiablo lights.

Looked at the A9 and the A10 g.

The A10 g has slightly more lumen's and has a wider, deeper reflector. The A9 though is compatible with the collimator head.

Will the A9 out throw the A10?

The A10 is £134 (149 euro's or $221)

The A9 with the collimator is £96 (107 euro's or $159)

Thanks,

Steve.

maxilux

Enlightened
The A10G throws out the A9 but with Collimator Head the A9 throws out the A10G, but A10 is to big in my opinion. The A10G has 5-10% more throw as A9 with SMO Reflektor. The A9 has much more runtime and better use with gun mount.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would highly recommend JetBeam RRT-1 Raptor. I got mine at www.lightjunction.com . Ethan and Jay are great guys, and have taken very good care of me with all my purchases.

Some of the specs you were interested in.....

• The Rapid Response Activation Ring allows the user to select between the three various brightness levels and strobe function.
  • Stainless steel Rapid Response Activation Ring, increased reliability and durability.
  • CREE XR-E R2 LED
  • Max output of 240 Lumen with an effective range of 500+ yards
  • RRT-1 Raptor can utilize the "RM-01" tactical pressure switch and other available accessories, which allows it to be used for a variety of missions.
Output & Runtime:
High Mode
Using 2*CR123 batteries: 240 Lumens, 2 Hours
Using 2*16340 batteries: 240 Lumens, 1 Hour
Using 1*18650 battery: 240 Lumens, 3 Hours

Mid Mode
Using 2*CR123 batteries: 100 Lumens, 6 Hours
Using 2*16340 batteries: 100 Lumens, 3 Hours
Using 1*18650 battery: 100 Lumens, 8 Hours

Low Mode
Using 2*CR123 batteries: 30 Lumens, 20 Hours
Using 2*16340 batteries: 30 Lumens, 10 Hours
Using 1*18650 battery: 30 Lumens, 25 Hours

Jetbeam-RRT-1_06.jpg

I took the RRT-1 and my DBS V2 out to the soccer fields last night and what I used to think was impressive with my DBS V2 just blew my mind with the RRT-1. The following map of the soccer fields show where I was standing, and the restroom building I was shining the lights on. The RRT-1 clearly outshined my DBS V2 hands down. The DBS did light the restrooms, but not nearly as well as the RRT-1. I could see illumination with the DBS, but the RRT-1 really lit up the side of the building. According to the scale key, the distance is 250+ meters.

SoccerField.jpg

Last edited:

ateallthepies

Enlightened
Hi Rob,

Wow 250 metres! Is the beam capable of identifying small animals at this range do you think.
How is this 240 lumen rated torch capable of such good throw? My TK11 is rated the same but comes no where close to this performance. Is there something special with the reflector?

Thanks,

Steve.

maxilux

Enlightened
Yes the RRT 1 is a very great light but in my opinion much to big for gun mounting, and when you want to have more trow than this: Tiablo A9 with Collimator Head throws out the RRT-1 without problems.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TK11 has a much smaller diameter reflector(34mm) which is also a lot more shallow than the RRT-1 which has a reflector diameter of 55mm. It by design and physical size will greatly out throw the TK11's smaller reflector. The RRT-1 looks like a white laser shooting up in to the night time sky.

Hi Rob,

Wow 250 metres! Is the beam capable of identifying small animals at this range do you think.
How is this 240 lumen rated torch capable of such good throw? My TK11 is rated the same but comes no where close to this performance. Is there something special with the reflector?

Thanks,

Steve.

Last edited:

ateallthepies

Enlightened
I can't get my head round the RRT-1 being able to throw out to 500 yards:eek:.

What sort of light is thrown this far, 1 candlepower?:D

All I have to compare lights is, as I have said my TK11 R2. Is this torch just not a good a thrower as the Tiablo A9 and RRT-1? I seem to be getting good light out to maybe 150 yards then it dims to unusable levels at around 200 yards!

Also, the run-time for the RRT-1 is stated at 240 lumens for 3 hours. Is this full brightness for three hours or like the TK11, 1.5 hours of full then down to 50% brightness and less for the remainder of the run-time? This is with a 18650 being used.

Steve.

Last edited:

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW Steve, if no one else has done so so far.....:welcome: If you really like lights...prepare yourself for flashaholic overload....And oh yeah....lock your wallet in a safe and throw away the combination or it will empty out really fast.:broke:

Last edited:

Toaster

Enlightened
Yes the RRT 1 is a very great light but in my opinion much to big for gun mounting, and when you want to have more trow than this: Tiablo A9 with Collimator Head throws out the RRT-1 without problems.

The RRT-1 is virtually the same size as Tiablo A9 with aspheric head. Going by your logic the A9 is too big for weapon mounting as well. :rolleyes:

ateallthepies

Enlightened
BTW Steve, if no one else has done so so far.....:welcome: If you really like lights...prepare yourself for flashaholic overload....And oh yeah....lock your wallet in a safe and throw away the combination or it will empty out really fast.:broke:

Yep I have had a welcome or two:) ta!

I also have severe flashalitis, bordering on flashaholicism:D, but so long as I get a daily dose of lumen's, I'm O.K:D

My wallet hasn't had a decent pounding yet but this will change and so far the next contenders are the Tiablo A9 and the Raptor RRT-1!

Here is a link to my small but growing collection of lights...

001-24.jpg

If the image is too big, can someone let me know how to resize please? It's from Photobucket.

Steve.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A10G throws out the A9 but with Collimator Head the A9 throws out the A10G, but A10 is to big in my opinion. The A10G has 5-10% more throw as A9 with SMO Reflektor. The A9 has much more runtime and better use with gun mount.
One thing to consider is that the A9 is not regulated on a single 18650, it needs 2xCR123 for that... So if the user needs a full hour on maximum power that could be a problem.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing to consider is that the A9 is not regulated on a single 18650, it needs 2xCR123 for that... So if the user needs a full hour on maximum power that could be a problem.

The drop in brightness is not so dramatic. A9 with aspherical head will still out throw the competition after one hour.

ateallthepies

Enlightened
In the red corner is the Jetbeam RRT 1, in the blue corner is the Tiablo A9 with the collimator.
Both fed with 18650 batteries and both looking goooood, FIGHT!

So disregarding battery life, which throws the longest punch, I mean beam?

Or is there any other contenders in this light-weight, 12 round king of the LED throw death match?

Note, DEFT is a couple of weights levels higher!

Steve.

P.S Should I just get both:thinking:

deeuubee

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

Back from being side tracked with life...

I just started re-aquainting myself with what's out there the other day, and being a fan of AE lights I checked them out first. Guess who in my family wants their PINK led light? I came across this...

AE Gun light:
Specifications:
3 Watt CREE Q5
Lumens: 160-180 Lumens
Projection Distance: 500m
Beam Convergence: 15 deg fixed, orange peel reflector for good peripheral vision
Battery: 2pcs or 3 pcs CR123
Run time: 2pcs 150 minutes or 3pcs CR123 240 minutes 450mAh CR123
Rating: IP67 dust and immersion proof
Light body: Anodized to 40-90 degree hardness, scratch resistant
Material: T8 Aluminum Corrision resistant Aircraft grade
Dimensions: Length 152.4mm (6") with 2-CR123 * 190.5 mm (7.5") with 3-CR123
Dimension Head: 41mm (1.61")
Function:Two modes 180 lumens Hi / 30% 50 lumens Low

Looks like it comes with weaver mount, pressure switch, and regular tail cap for off gun use.

Seems made for just what you/I want. If I can remember how, I'll add a picture later. Here's a link to their photo of it.

http://www.aelight.com/popup.php?id=386

I'm looking for one also to put on my RWS 34 and RWS 850 air guns for some night time pest control.

Being the guinea pig that I am, I'll let you know how it works when it comes in next week.

What are you looking to put it on?