How to Widen Beam of 5 mm LED

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave a special friend an Arc AAA. She uses it mainly for reading at plays, opera, etc. and complains that the beam is too narrow. I would like to modify it to more of a flood.

I recall reading a thread in the past week or two that described a technique for sanding or roughing up the surface of the LED to widen the beam. Search as I may, I can't find it. Does anyone know where that thread is -- or have any advice?

Shark

Enlightened
I belive that McGizmo has some of his inventions on the skunklights web site he used a clear epoxy and filled the reflector making sort of a lense. It really had a dramatic effect as far as widening the beam. Go to www.skunlights.com and click on McGizmos gadget O rama.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
yup...that would be the best way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sharks link isn't working...but i believe the stuff he used was called "ultra-glo" or something to that effect...

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try to fill the reflector with water first. That way you get a temporary simulator. The light won't leak but you can only shine the light upwards, else the water will be sucked by the gravity. I like to see the wide flood from the water filled relector.

This is Mr McGizmo's website, he's a great modder.

Vince.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, guys. McGizmo's pages are always a nice place to be and think deep thoughts about what could be. I found the page about making a clear epoxy lens for the Arc AAA.

I did the water drop in the reflector experiment. Although there's still a strong center beam, it is a little wider. I think, though, that the index of refraction of the epoxy would be greater, resulting in an even more spread out effect. So I believe that for my problem, the epoxy solution is a viable option.

. . . still, I would sure like to rediscover that thread about abrading the surface of the LED. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Paul

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try searching for polishing Nichia or polishing Led or Turtlelight. I seem to recall it was related with those. I don't rember the person who polished Turtle light clone leds. Of course once it is in an Arc head it is kind of tough to polish it to the proper surface for a wider beam. Optically clear epoxy is probably the best bet.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pellidon,

Thanks -- searching for "polishing" & "Nichia" yielded the post I was originally looking for. I now have a lot of ideas to play with.

Thanks all.

Paul