Dorcy AAA led upgrade advice

dandism

Enlightened
I just got the $4.50 AAA dorcy from big lots and am a little disappointed with the output. The 5mm led looks like it could be easily replaced, but I have no idea what to replace it with. What have you guys swapped in there? I saw someone put in a Mag led in there but I want to keep this low budget so that's out of the question.

Thanks,

Dan

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
the GS isn't much brighter than the nichia that was in it which probably was a DS anyway if you want it brighter you will have to get a luxeon or better and mod the circuit to put out more current. or you could just get your money back and see if they still have the dorcy 3AAA or 2AA for $10-$11 and get one of those. The 2AA version is a good bargain IMO.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Going from a DS to a GS is roughly a 4-5 Lumen increase... FWIW. There have been some extensive mods to the "fish-eye" dorcy AAA, from 2-3 years ago. You'll have to search to find them though. One of the more impressive mods replaced the fish-eye optic bezel with the switch cap and a DIY lens of a donor light to produce a nice floody beam. I think this light is more of a long running task light than a lumen burner though, so I think you are expecting a bit too much from it.

I dont recall any mods done to increase lumen output, although its been a while since I saw any of these threads and my memory has faded

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Going from a DS to a GS is roughly a 4-5 Lumen increase... FWIW. There have been some extensive mods to the "fish-eye" dorcy AAA, from 2-3 years ago. You'll have to search to find them though. One of the more impressive mods replaced the fish-eye optic bezel with the switch cap and a DIY lens of a donor light to produce a nice floody beam. I think this light is more of a long running task light than a lumen burner though, so I think you are expecting a bit too much from it.

I dont recall any mods done to increase lumen output, although its been a while since I saw any of these threads and my memory has faded
people have modded the circuits in the first gen and put luxeons in them before. I am not sure what the last 2 gen circuits will do but the first gen will do enough to drive a lux well with modding