wanting some gift keychain lights

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
im looking to gift a couple friends some keychain flashlights. im thinking of course of the fenix eo1 (if thats the most recent) but i'd like to give a couple so if i didn't have to spend $15 each that would be great. does anyone know if the slightly older version or barely less efficent bin is still out there on clearance anywhere? maybe you have another light suggestion that is less but has the brightness punch/runtime of the eo1?

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
im looking to gift a couple friends some keychain flashlights. im thinking of course of the fenix eo1 (if thats the most recent) but i'd like to give a couple so if i didn't have to spend $15 each that would be great. does anyone know if the slightly older version or barely less efficent bin is still out there on clearance anywhere? maybe you have another light suggestion that is less but has the brightness punch/runtime of the eo1?

At this price point you can't do better than the E01. Tough, reliable, great runtime, and a usable amount of light.

At 4sevens.com with the CPF8 discount code you get them for less than $14 shipped. At BatteryJunction.com they're $12.50 each before the BJAUG2009 coupon code for 5% off, but with shipping 4sevens.com is slightly cheaper. Both are companies that have treated me very well.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another cheap option is Tank007 AAA. Single mode clicky, very smooth beam profile, claimed output of 110 lumens which I think it's slightly overrated. DX $10.87 shipped.

3aaan.jpg

Middle light.

scout24

Flashaholic
Streamlight Nano, but batteries can be $$$, Streamlight Microstream is AAA and very nice as well. EO1 is a great choice... and comes in different colors if that might matter. Batteryjunction may have some Fenix EO's left, last generation before the EO1 and seem to be well reviewed for what they are...

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
im really leaning toward the fenix eo1, but wanted to buy 4 for 4 friends keychains and didn't want to spend $15 each. (read: im too cheap and/or dont like these particular friends that much) i'd love to have the old version of this on a clearance sale, or if there is another aaa light with nichia led (preferably gs or close) that would be great too.

musicalfruit

Newly Enlightened
Another cheap option is Tank007 AAA. Single mode clicky, very smooth beam profile, claimed output of 110 lumens which I think it's slightly overrated. DX $10.87 shipped.

Is this the one?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18630

$8.15 shipped if you're ordering 3 or 4. Seems like a good price. What kind of runtime do you get? The specs claim an hour but obviously that's suspect.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
thanks, but i wasn't looking for a super bright/short runtime light. i wanted something that would be there for them when they needed it. looong runtime preferred. this is not a nichia 5mm light, i think its cree or seoul high powered led. the search continues

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks, but i wasn't looking for a super bright/short runtime light. i wanted something that would be there for them when they needed it. looong runtime preferred. this is not a nichia 5mm light, i think its cree or seoul high powered led. the search continues

Fenix E01 FTW for sure. This light is excellent quality, runtime and water resistance.... geez... this light takes the gold... platinum for your situation.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or you can be known as the guy who gave them the faulty, cheap light that left them in the dark... :nana:

duboost

Enlightened
im really leaning toward the fenix eo1, but wanted to buy 4 for 4 friends keychains and didn't want to spend $15 each. (read: im too cheap and/or dont like these particular friends that much) i'd love to have the old version of this on a clearance sale, or if there is another aaa light with nichia led (preferably gs or close) that would be great too.
Light Junction has the older E1 for $12.50 and if you use the coupon code "CPFSAVE12" you will get 12% off bringing the total to $11 each. But if you really don't like these friends that much then why not just give them a fauxton or something?

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you really don't like them that much... why not just get them a crappy Maglite Solitaire for like a fraction of the price? Only your good friends should get the Fenix E01's truthfully... And anyways... if they are not flashaholics... they will think Maglites are still creme de la creme... So it's a win win for you and your wallet... :naughty:

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had not seen that you did not like these friends until duboost had quoted your reply...:candle:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this the one?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18630

$8.15 shipped if you're ordering 3 or 4. Seems like a good price. What kind of runtime do you get? The specs claim an hour but obviously that's suspect.

That's another version, which is the later of the two.
I didn't test the runtime. Average built, nice tactile clicky, smooth beam, smallest AAA clicky I found and decent brightness. What more do you expect from a $8 light? :grin2:

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
i gifted 4 eo1s recently, got to play with them all before they left, they were all excellent, well built, nice tint/beam, felt solid, nice twisty switch, you might find something cheaper but i doubt youll find anything more reliable (simply nothing to fail on them) and or better built for the $$, if i were in a serious situation, id want a couple eo1s around.

d1337

Enlightened
I have given many people fauxtons and people rave about them. I often hear stories from people about how they use it all the time or how it really saved them in an emergency. I have thought about getting some of these people something that ran on a AAA battery but realized most people won't really carry a AAA battery sized light. A light that they actually carry will be more useful than the one they don't. You can get them for about 50 cents each. I bought a bag of 50 white ones from DX for about $25. In a year or so when people ask me where to get batteries I just give them a new light (it comes with batteries). At least for the people I know it's a cheaper and more appreciated gift.

Slash5

Newly Enlightened
I'd recommend the fauxtons as well. Thats all a non flashlight person wants to carry.
I order them 20 to 50 at a time from DX. I pass them out like candy.
I've never given them out without the person coming back for another one for a family member. Quite often, I end up ordering 10 or 20 for other people after they see how handy they are.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
thanks for the replies. i was kidding about not liking them enough. but i still would have rather found a deal on some old eo's for less than $10 apiece. but if i have to choose between $11 lights that were 5 lumens, and $13 lights that are 10 lumens with the same runtime, its a no brainer for me. i'll get them the one i can brag about. the 10 and 20 packs aren't a bad idea, then i could give them out to my "b level" friends too. i might even spring for the higher mcd ones. which ones have you guys been getting to give out. aren't there a few different ones? i'd really like to have one where they can press it on and it stays on, not one they have to hold the button to stay on. do you have a link to something like that or do all the fauxtons have that?

Marduke

Flashaholic
Photon Freedom's are $8.99 at CFR Lights, an excellent value for what they are. Hands down my favorite keychain light.

DX fauxtons will stay on with the little sliding switch. Can't beat them for a cheap giveaway at 47 cents each.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
thanks for all your help. i found a spot i can buy a few eo1's and get them for only $10 apiece. (negotiated a deal, lol) i am also ordering some 22000mcd blue keychain lights from dx with white leds, and im trying out some of their 10mm focused led key lights. they should be pretty bright. so now i'll have 24 lights to give away, with the 4 fenix going to a few of my closest buddies. thanks for all your help, i think they're all getting some nice gifts.
jason

Marduke

Flashaholic
Keep in mind, the blue bodied fauxtons cast a horribly blue tint to the beam. I recommend the clear or black bodied ones instead. They have a much whiter beam.