infinitely variable 2aa light

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
im back into a flashlight buying frenzy (against the behest of my wife). i do love those first walks a night with a new light. im currently debating between the itp c8 and the nitecore d20. ive read the reviews and see that the itp seems more efficent when at comparable light levels, not to mention is cheaper brand new. i really like my d10 and wouldn't mind the easy transition into a d20, but cant argue with the value. i dont really know the itp brand, which way would you guys recomend me to go. i searched for itp c8 threads and found only a 2008 thread, plus it wasn't applicable to my situation. thanks,
jasonsmaglites

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both lights and really like them both. I had to get used to the D20 and it does not always ramp up and down like I want it to. I like the feel of the D20 and it is a little brighter. The ITP8 has the smoothest ramping of any light I own. You just turn the head until you get to the desired level, then turn it back. It always works although you may find it a bit tricky to do one handed. The ITP might be a better light for the money!

Mike

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me i like the feel of the battery tube and rounded tailcap of the C8. And the Olight Infinitum's look nice as well..im going to get one soon just have to hide it from the wife.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
why does it have to be infinitely variable?
just wondering.

Since if you're looking for output/runtime efficiency, i think you're looking at the wrong place.

Fenix L2D is the king @ high output.

Closet_Flashaholic

Enlightened
Technically, most digitally controlled LED-based lights are not "infinitely" variable. They may have a lot of "steps" but "a lot of" isn't infinite.

Setting that aside, I have a D10, bought a D20 because of it. The D20 is a nice light, it has a very rugged/heavy "feel" to it. Much more so than any 2AA m@glight that I own. The ramping up/down of its 100 levels is a little too fast for me to get to a desired level without over-shooting it. But it doesn't bother me too much anymore. I have never used the pocket clip, the light is too heavy/too big for me to EDC - I have a D10 for EDC.

As a side benefit, the filter kit for 2AA m@gs (red/yellow) and the associated hex holder that pushes on the front to hold the filter in place, also works on the D20. I just added 1 layer of black electrical tape around the bezel to increase the thickness so that it doesn't pull off as easily. With the red filter in place and the D20 on its lowest setting, the output is probably 0.01 lumens or less, which is perfect for navigating a very dark house and preserving my "night" vision.

The D20 replaced a few m@g 2AA lights and also a couple of L2D Q5/CE lights as well.

Last edited:

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
why does it have to be infinitely variable?
just wondering.

Since if you're looking for output/runtime efficiency, i think you're looking at the wrong place.

Fenix L2D is the king @ high output.

i have the l2d already :)
im on my third one, l2d ce, rebel 100, now q5