need a good LED

PhilMac

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,
I'm new to CPF and i'm looking for a good LED for huting/camping. I have been searching the forums and read a ton of reviews but there is just so much info some of which I don't understand. So if any of you guys can give me some good recommendations I would appreciate it. I'm kinda on a budget right now so price is important. I would like to keep it under 80 bucks or so. I would like a light with good throw and as many lumens as I can get as long as its got a decent run-time.

Thanks,
PhilMac

shaynster

Newly Enlightened
I'm no expert, but I just bought a Jetbeam Jet-III Military/LE and love it. In the past all I had was Surefire and for the money this one has better features. I bought it from www.bugoutgearusa.com. It cost around $75 and I got it in 2 days. I bought the OD green one and I'm thinking about a second one.

Shayn

shaynster

Newly Enlightened
Here's a picture.

blackforce_2067_0.jpg

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
What batteries do you want to run ?

This would be your first question ..

Rechargeable ? Supermarket / AA-AAA- C - D
Flashlight Dedicated ? 18650 - CR123A - 14500 - etc
Actual function of the light
Run time needed / 8 Hours / 20 Hours / 40 Hours

A small EDC may serve you well , lots of options , and the CR123A / 14500 can put out plenty of light , Some AA powered lights can serve you well , but Im not sure if any single AA light can compete with CR123A / 14500 .

Next would be 18650 or 2 x CR123A .

Then 2 x 18650 or 3 x 18650 [ Usually MC-E or SSC P7 ]

Under $80 USD

SO about $50 for the light $30 for batteries and charger .
Try Eagletac People seem to like them , + some are priced in your range with room for batts and charger .

PhilMac

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the info. i think i had rather go w/ the flashlight dedicated batts, from everything ive read they seem to be much better. i would prolly go w/ the rechargable batts

EagleAg

Newly Enlightened
Just going to throw it out there but try one of the Quarks by 4sevens. Right now they are offering a Neutral Quark in a variety of battery sizes. I have one on order right now, a AA^2 neutral led. The Quarks are priced very fairly and you can get a discount through 4sevens for being a CPF member. The lights are available in single and double cell AA's or CR123 Lithium batteries. If you have any more questions just search for Quark and you will find a ton of information.

You can find alot of discounts available to you on http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=181841 If you click around the cpf market place you can find some forums for good deals, special announcements from dealers, and used lights.

They have received some pretty good reviews around here. For hunting/camping you would be better off with a warm or neutral led as opposed to the standard bright white or blue, which tend to wash out colors and don't cut through fog or smoke as well.

My first LED was a M20 Warrior Premium R2. I can say that it is an excellent light. Really bright, well built, 4 lighting modes, and nice throw coupled with a pretty good spill. It is about $20 out of your price range but a good one to consider. Check out some of the dealers websites in the link above as you maybe able to get a discount and bring it down closer to your price range.

Welcome to CPF.

Toaster

Enlightened
:welcome:

Your requirements are pretty nonspecific and you're just gonna wind up with a whole bunch of different recommendations that may or may not be helpful. It might help if you told us:

1. Battery preference? Would you prefer a light that runs on commonly available AA/C/D cells? Or are you ok with lithium CR123 cells? Do you want to use rechargables?

2. What constitutes good throw for you? You want to be able to see an object clearly at what distance?

3. What constitutes good runtime for you? You want to be able to run at max output for 1/2/3/4 hours?

4. What size is acceptable? Something that fits into the palm of your hand, something that you can slip into your pocket, or perhaps something bigger like a 2D Maglite?

JBorneu

Enlightened
Get the Fenix TK20. It's a great outdoors light that runs off 2AA cells. Lots of throw, plenty lumens on turbo, long runtime on general mode. It has a warm white LED, which cuts trough fog and rain very well while all the cool white LED's beams scatter in foul weather. In rain / fog, you'll see a lot better with a warm tint beam than with a cool tint. For best performance, run it on LSD (precharged) NiMH rechargeables.

Do not use a light with Li-ion cells unles you know how to use them safely. Check the link in my signature if you want to use them.

PhilMac

Newly Enlightened
hey guys,
thanks a bunch for all the info. I really like the Eagle Tac T20C2 thanks to Old4570's suggestion. It is exactly what i want. I am really thinking about ordering one. Is this the best light for the price in this category?
thanks again
PhilMac

toolpig1

Enlightened
The Fenix TK20 would be a great choice for you. Previously mentioned is the brightness on high, runtime on low, and cheap AA batteries. I'd like to also point out that this light was specifically designed for outdoor use with it's warm tint. Many "cool white" leds wash out when illuminating natural vegetation, the greens just soak the light up. This light appears much like an incan, which has always been considered superior for outdoor use.

PhilMac

Newly Enlightened
I like the Fenix but the amount of light output by the Eagle Tac makes it a better choice for me. If I am ever tracking a deer I think the extra lumens would make the price diff worth it to me. and ive read i can order the eagle tac with the warm/neutral light.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wecome to CPF. I would highly recommend you go to the reviews section and read a number of the different reviews. If you want to save time I would highly recommend the reviews by Selfbuilt. He has a number of review's like the Two AA round up that is worth reading. This should take you a long way down the path of figuring out which light best suits your needs.

Good Luck

Bill

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would highly recommend a Neutral to Warm white emitter.

If you'd like something with very long runtime, I could build you a High-CRI Maglite. I just sold a couple over at the Marketplace.

If you're looking for something smaller, an EagleTac P20C2 with a pair of AW RCR123's, the OP reflector upgrade, and the Neutral White emitter would be a good choice.

If you want something small, a Jetbeam Jet-1 Pro IBS is pretty nice too, and it runs off of AA's.

PhilMac

Newly Enlightened
Eagle Tac T20C2 is ordered and on the way, thanks for all the help and info guys! ill tell you guys what i think when i get it.
thanks,
PhilMac

Gunner12

Flashaholic
A neutral white LED will render colors more "correctly" so they look more natural. From what I read, the better color rendering makes the neutral white LEDs seems to throw as far as the cool white LEDs. I don't have a neutral white LED light, so I can't confirm or deny that claim.

Eagle Tac T20C2 is ordered and on the way, thanks for all the help and info guys! ill tell you guys what i think when i get it.
thanks,
PhilMac
I hope you like it!

:welcome: