I know this has been asked a 1000 times before - but help me decide on a light?!

Sproles

Newly Enlightened
OK - I know that people ask this question all the time and I hate to be the umpteenth person to request some help, but I am needing ya'lls expertise.

Here is my deal - I love lights, and I love small lights, but I also love bright small lights.

SO - I am looking for a new light. Let me tell you my history and then my list of dreams and then you can tell me the 3 lights that perfectly fit into that mold and then I can make an educated decision. (or something like that!)

Used to carry a Jil 1.3 UP
Then carried a JetBeam MK-IIx
Now carry the NiteCore PD EX-10 and love it!
(Also bought the NiteCore PD D20 and was underwhelmed and want to replace IT with my EX-10 and replace my EX-10 with this new light we are discussing.)

So - here is my laundry list of desires:
>This light will be my EDC pocket light and I work a white collar job, so small and unobtrusive is important.
>Battery does not really matter - I would prefer 123 or AA if possible, but not a demand.
>Rechargeable capability (whatever cell) is a must for me...
>Clicky is BEST for this light
>Tritium locators would be WONDERFUL!
>Less than $100 - preferably less than $75 would be wonderful
>MINIMUM lumens would be in the 50-65 range...pushing up to 130 (like my EX-10) would be great
>I do NOT need programmable, or infinite ranges of brightness. I would like to have MAX and LOW (if that is via programming that is fine) but I like having that option between "blinding someone" and the "looking-for-the-Coke-under-your-movie-seat" kind of brightness.
>Black is preferred, but not a must have
>Clips (as an option) is nice but also, not a must have

Well - I think that is it. I know there are probably things that I have left out, and if you have questions or need clarification, please let me know and I will do what I can to provide clarification. Thank you all so much for your insite and your help - these forums are always FULL of valuable information and I am looking forward to hearing from you all.
Sproles

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess there's only one option.....

Nitecore EX10 :laughing:

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Might I suggest...........A..............
wait for it...................................

NiteCore PD EX-10 :poke::nana::devil:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark AA meets those criteria, although I don't use the clip so I can't tell you if it's any good.

But seriously, it sounds like you already have a flashlight that fits all these requirements, so why don't you just get another EX-10?

Moonshadow

Enlightened
OK, so you like the EX10, but not the D20 . . .

Might help us to suggest a replacement if we knew what it was about the D20 that turned you off ? Was it just the larger size, or the wider beam, or something else about the way it works ?

Burgess

Flashaholic
to Sproles --

Gee, you've been a CPF member for nearly

EIGHT YEARS

and you still hafta' ask this question ? ? ?

Gosh, haven't you been payin' attention ?

:poke:

_

Sproles

Newly Enlightened
OK, so you like the EX10, but not the D20 . . .

Might help us to suggest a replacement if we knew what it was about the D20 that turned you off ? Was it just the larger size, or the wider beam, or something else about the way it works ?

GREAT questions...

I was underwhelmed by the overall brightness. I like the fit and finish and the size is fine - it rides in my BOB so that is not a concern, but my EX-10 is just as bright if not brighter.

Thanks for the clarification!
Sproles

Sproles

Newly Enlightened
to Sproles --

Gee, you've been a CPF member for nearly

EIGHT YEARS

and you still hafta' ask this question ? ? ?

Gosh, haven't you been payin' attention ?

:poke:

_

All I can say is... SHORT BUS!!!

you know how it goes! I ain't real bright! (said with the appropriate redneck southern drawl!)

Sproles

jankj

Enlightened
Sproles;3078575 So - here is my laundry list of desires: [/QUOTE said:
I'm thinking the quark AA or 123 should meet your requirements nicely:

>small and unobtrusive check

>Battery - prefer 123 or AA check. Choose your preference.

>Rechargeable capability (whatever cell) check

>Clicky is BEST for this light check

>Tritium locators would be WONDERFUL! Fail. A trick I did was remove the clip and wrap the slim middle part with glow-in-the-dark line. Works brilliantly, but does not look particular elegant.

>Less than $100 - preferably less than $75 would be wonderful check

>MINIMUM lumens would be in the 50-65 range...pushing up to 130 (like my EX-10) would be great check (almost). The AA will not exceed 90 lm unless you power it with li-ion (14500). Still plenty bright enough due to the beam shape.

>I do NOT need programmable, or infinite ranges of brightness. I would like to have MAX and LOW (if that is via programming that is fine) but I like having that option between "blinding someone" and the "looking-for-the-Coke-under-your-movie-seat" kind of brightness. Check, but requires a little explanation... Quarks first click will either give you super low (0.2 lumens) or maximum, depending on whether the head is loose or tight. One simple twist is enough to switch between these. When the head is loose, you can just "add more light" by clicking one or more times.

You could also check out the tactical version of quarks. Two programmable levels.

>Black is preferred check

>Clips check

Oh, and I really recommend the neutral version. Some versions are sold out, but the light head and body can be bought separately, so you can "lego" together the neutral light of your preferences.