EV charging cables cut by copper "recyclers"

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why is there so much anger against the EV proponent? Is he that threatening? I think not.

The pendulum of life seems to be swaying away from electrifying everything, what with threats of new USA government tariffs on chinese products, and the contraction of the legacy auto makers' foray into electric.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Why is there so much anger against the EV proponent? Is he that threatening? I think not.

The pendulum of life seems to be swaying away from electrifying everything, what with threats of new USA government tariffs on chinese products, and the contraction of the legacy auto makers' foray into electric.
Personally, I'll say this.... Before he came along, I was seriously considering a Hybrid as my soon-to-be next vehicle. But when he started making ridiculous claims, other members got interested, and it started up a discussion that caused a lot of facts to come out from the sheer level of manure he was piling on. No way in hell am I getting an EV or a Hybrid. For a number of reasons that have already been discussed.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
The impending chip shortage while we continue to spin up US manufacturing of the necessary replacements will, at the very least, push all these timelines back a decade minimum.
I would not be so sure we can do it fast enough or at all. US culture changed, it is very hard to find someone who wants to work, and take pride in his work. People that do are in their late 40s, 50s, or retired. people below that age group, do not want to be bothered with factory/manual labor, especially when the salary is not that good considering inflation, and today's prices. The problem is much bigger than just building new factories. vast majority of immigrants that flooded our country in last 3-4 years do not want to work, they came here for free stuff. and those few that do, are not enough to spin manufacturing to levels needed,.

mrfixitman

Enlightened
Personally, I'll say this.... Before he came along, I was seriously considering a Hybrid as my soon-to-be next vehicle. But when he started making ridiculous claims, other members got interested, and it started up a discussion that caused a lot of facts to come out from the sheer level of manure he was piling on. No way in hell am I getting an EV or a Hybrid. For a number of reasons that have already been discussed.
You will regret your decision, because you didn't do the math.

mrfixitman

Enlightened

I find it funny that people here that can Jimmy a flashlight with batteries, can't see the benefits of electricity. Corded electric leaf blower way better than anything gas. Same with corded lawn equipment up to a point. You don't need batteries for EVerything. Bullet trains don't need them. Your toaster doesn't need it. You can make your own fuel in a variety of methods. It's a math problem that is easy on the pocket book and you get clean air. I will never go back to ICE. Soon it will be the end of ICE, when battery prices will be too low to ignore. Price parody is the key. The Chinese are coming just like the Japanese did in the 70's. No more vroom, vroom.

vincent3685

Newly Enlightened
I find it funny that people here that can Jimmy a flashlight with batteries, can't see the benefits of electricity. Corded electric leaf blower way better than anything gas. Same with corded lawn equipment up to a point. You don't need batteries for EVerything. Bullet trains don't need them. Your toaster doesn't need it. You can make your own fuel in a variety of methods. It's a math problem that is easy on the pocket book and you get clean air. I will never go back to ICE. Soon it will be the end of ICE, when battery prices will be too low to ignore. Price parody is the key. The Chinese are coming just like the Japanese did in the 70's. No more vroom, vroom.
And I find it presumptuous of people who think they know what is best for me. I happen to like gasoline engines. They are familiar, easy to work on and infinitely repairable. Not disposable items destined for the landfill. The amount of pollution created from ICE lawn equipment is minuscule. Even if we magically transitioned to all electric everything, it wouldn't make a dent in the amount of air pollution. What's in my pocketbook is no ones business but my own. China and India are the biggest polluters in the world, if that's important to you.

Personally, I have enough ICE lawn equipment to last me the rest of my life. A lot of it with two stroke engines too. I happen to find the vroom, vroom sound of the engines and the smell of gasoline satisfying. I will happily continue to use them. Just have to pour out the old unused stale gas on the ground and let it evaporate due to the govt's forced use of ethanol. I drive a pick-up truck with a big V8 engine, not because I necessarily NEED it, I just WANT it. I also heat with a wood stove and natural gas and regularly use a charcoal grill. Come to think of it, I have some old tires and used oil I need to burn as well. LOL.

See the law of conservation of energy and matter; They cannot be created or destroyed, only changed. Whatever energy we use, there will always be a conversion into something else. Whether one is better than the other is very much debatable. Electricity is not free from any byproducts, nor is it a magical answer to our energy needs. Choice and freedom are far more important to me than any perceived so-called benefit to the environment. Your opinion on the matter is just that, your opinion.

Last edited:

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast

As you've been told multiple times, by multiple people,

We don't want EV's shoved down our throats!

Why is this so difficult for you to understand, and to accept?

Those of you that want to own/drive EV's, carry on, enjoy them

Believe you are "saving the world" by driving your EV (News flash, you are NOT!)

But STOP trying to force me to purchase/drive vehicles I do NOT want!

Again, why is this so difficult for you to understand/accept?

Which is also why some here refer to you as a Troll

mrfixitman

Enlightened
And I find it presumptuous of people who think they know what is best for me. I happen to like gasoline engines. They are familiar, easy to work on and infinitely repairable. Not disposable items destined for the landfill. The amount of pollution created from ICE lawn equipment is minuscule. Even if we magically transitioned to all electric everything, it wouldn't make a dent in the amount of air pollution. What's in my pocketbook is no ones business but my own. China and India are the biggest polluters in the world, if that's important to you.

Personally, I have enough ICE lawn equipment to last me the rest of my life. A lot of it with two stroke engines too. I happen to find the vroom, vroom sound of the engines and the smell of gasoline satisfying. I will happily continue to use them. Just have to pour out the old unused stale gas on the ground and let it evaporate due to the govt's forced use of ethanol. I drive a pick-up truck with a big V8 engine, not because I necessarily NEED it, I just WANT it. I also heat with a wood stove and natural gas and regularly use a charcoal grill. Come to think of it, I have some old tires and used oil I need to burn as well. LOL.

See the law of conservation of energy and matter; They cannot be created or destroyed, only changed. Whatever energy we use, there will always be a conversion into something else. Whether one is better than the other is very much debatable. Electricity is not free from any byproducts, nor is it a magical answer to our energy needs. Choice and freedom are far more important to me than any perceived so-called benefit to the environment. Your opinion on the matter is just that, your opinion.
Your flip attitude and blaming it on India and China shows you know nothing about what's happening with polluters, in battery use and recycling. Where do you think I get my cells for flashlights? Salvageable batteries still 90% good. 50¢ each. In a country where cigarettes only have a warning on them, it's no surprise there are people like you who don't care about poisoning the next generation because you survived it. Shame on all gearheads. Your choice and freedom ends when it affects someone else. You must be the guy that speeds down the slow lane and gets mad when someone moves to the slow lane to get off the freeway.

mrfixitman

Enlightened
As you've been told multiple times, by multiple people,

We don't want EV's shoved down our throats!

Why is this so difficult for you to understand, and to accept?

Those of you that want to own/drive EV's, carry on, enjoy them

Believe you are "saving the world" by driving your EV (News flash, you are NOT!)

But STOP trying to force me to purchase/drive vehicles I do NOT want!

Again, why is this so difficult for you to understand/accept?

Which is also why some here refer to you as a Troll
I do not enjoy driving. I wish we had transporters. I wonder why we lost horses so quickly a hundred years ago. I guess we still have some Amish. Some gearheads may survive..on ethanol.....hahaha..oh that's racing fuel! It's an evolution, I have evolved, turn on the flashlight and focus on the problem. Getting around without poisoning everyone.

mrfixitman

Enlightened

It is interesting that you mention infinitely repairable. When you deal with internal combustion, you are talking about a technology that is designed to fail and needs an infinite subscription. I have rarely repaired or serviced any of my electric devices, except my weed Wacker, which I abused by hitting a rock. I can fuel my electric devices with solar I can make myself. That is freedom. From Exxon. You guys have Stockholm Syndrome. You all sound like an infomercial by big oil and autos. You take it up the crack and love it. I call that abuse and you think you are holding the whip. Hahaha. The sad part is you poison everyone with your selfish attitudes. You can't see the low cost electric paradigm coming, that will wipe out petroleum.

Image.jpg

vincent3685

Newly Enlightened
Your flip attitude and blaming it on India and China shows you know nothing about what's happening with polluters, in battery use and recycling. Where do you think I get my cells for flashlights? Salvageable batteries still 90% good. 50¢ each. In a country where cigarettes only have a warning on them, it's no surprise there are people like you who don't care about poisoning the next generation because you survived it. Shame on all gearheads. Your choice and freedom ends when it affects someone else. You must be the guy that speeds down the slow lane and gets mad when someone moves to the slow lane to get off the freeway.
It is you who claims China is coming to save the world with their EV's. Newsflash; They don't care how much they pollute with their coal-fired plants and lithium mining, and neither do I. I think that you think your batteries come from the same place your food comes from; the store. Salvage all you want, I tend to toss batteries at the end of their useful life. I choose not to mess with them once they won't hold a full charge. Personally, I don't smoke or use tobacco, but I think it should remain legal and available for adults. The mandated warning on cigarettes has outlived its usefulness. Anyone with half a brain already knows the dangers of smoking. IMO, the hysteria around "second hand smoke" is as overblown and overplayed as the hysteria around man made climate change. I take issue with your claim that I am somehow poisoning or affecting others with my freedom and choices. The earths' atmosphere has processes for cleaning itself through photosynthesis and precipitation. Your desire for control and to restrict my rights and play dictator, ends where my rights and freedoms begin.

Last edited:

vincent3685

Newly Enlightened
It is interesting that you mention infinitely repairable. When you deal with internal combustion, you are talking about a technology that is designed to fail and needs an infinite subscription. I have rarely repaired or serviced any of my electric devices, except my weed Wacker, which I abused by hitting a rock. I can fuel my electric devices with solar I can make myself. That is freedom. From Exxon. You guys have Stockholm Syndrome. You all sound like an infomercial by big oil and autos. You take it up the crack and love it. I call that abuse and you think you are holding the whip. Hahaha. The sad part is you poison everyone with your selfish attitudes. You can't see the low cost electric paradigm coming, that will wipe out petroleum.
I happen to have the knowledge and tools necessary to repair most of my ICE's. I also get a certain satisfaction from working with my hands to fix and maintain things. I believe you when you say you have rarely repaired or serviced any of your electric devices. They are designed to be disposable.

Ebikes are a good example. The manufacturers design in obsolescence and deliberately make them irreparable. For every new start-up company that comes out, two more disappear. It can be difficult or impossible to get proprietary parts, diagrams, or manuals to perform DIY repairs or even to find someone to fix them.

FYI, solar charging is not free nor without an environmental cost. Unless you make them yourself, you still need to buy the panels, which can be expensive. They also have their own problems with extracting the raw materials and waste generation to build them. They do wear out , can be easily damaged and eventually need to be disposed of too. As much as you would like to believe otherwise, they are not infinitely recyclable. Also, in case you haven't noticed, the sun isn't always out either, so there is that.

Electricity is going UP in price, not down. I can shop around for the cheapest gas prices for my car and power equipment at any time, night or day, which causes competition and keeps a check on price increases. It's clearly displayed on the stations' signage. I can then use that gas now or store it for later. EV charging stations either charge by the minute or by the kWh. You have no way of knowing the price until you're actually charging. You pay what they decide to charge you at any given time. That's the very definition of taking it up the crack and loving it. But being from S.F., I would defer to your expert knowledge on such things. 😂

Last edited:

yearnslow

Enlightened
You, or Einstein, have a valid point. However, I think in the past people have just let things ride, because 'it'll be alright', and look where we are now.
People like this idiot seem to think they have a mandate to lecture everyone, irrespective of their authority to do so.
The pushback is warranted, and indeed should be increased, before we all end up in a virtual prison.

mrfixitman

Enlightened
It is you who claims China is coming to save the world with their EV's.

IMO, the hysteria around "second hand smoke" is as overblown and overplayed as the hysteria around man made climate change. I take issue with your claim that I am somehow poisoning or affecting others with my freedom and choices. The earths' atmosphere has processes for cleaning itself through photosynthesis and precipitation.
For one thing China isn't saving the world. They are just coming.
Mother Earth cleaning itself is baloney. Explain why every living thing on earth has micro plastics in it's system? Microplastics are everywhere. In our water, our food, even the air we breathe. The tiny fragments, fibers and films, less than 5 millimeters long, are often made of what's known as "forever chemicals," which can take thousands of years to break down.