Best maglite halogen bulb for throw / tight focused beam

Superlux

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, I've been reading allot on these forums lately and decided to build a mag623, i am almost done and i am thinking of building something a little different after this light is done.

I am looking for a very bright - tight focused beam much like the stock maglite fully focused just allot brighter and longer range ( I believe this is called throw? )

The ROP high seemed like a good option for this, do you guys have any other suggestions as well. I think i have gotten this 'bug' everyone else here seems to have.

I will most likely be doing this in a 2D mag.

Edit: I would also like to use the stock mag head.

Last edited:

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I've seen the Phillips 5761 is a decent thrower, and can be run is a 2d mag using two D cell lithium Ions, however a socket kit, glass lens and metal reflector are recomended. One of JimmyM's regulators would also be a neat addition, they are the pinnacle of incan coolness.

As far as big bulbs like the 64623, the more juice the bulb uses the larger the fillament is likely to be. So unfortunately, more power sometimes means less throw (at least in apperance).

Superlux

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info, this would fit right in my mag623. I could just switch out the bulbs and batteries. I think i will give it a shot.

R@ndom

Enlightened
Check threads in my sig for ideas.

Non of the uber power lights have the best throw. What they lack in focus they make up for with lumens. There is a thread on someone modding a thor reflector into (onto) a mag. I'll find it tomorrow.

Superlux

Newly Enlightened
Non of the uber power lights have the best throw. What they lack in focus they make up for with lumens.

I noticed that when i powered up the 623 for the first time. I think i will will be switching from SMO reflector to MOP as the bulb has some ugly artifacts.

That magplunger is hillarious.