E2e,18650,H/EO-E1R lamps

heckboy

Enlightened
I'm in a light trading mood right now. I'm planning to pick up a E2e to host this little modification: bore it out to fit a AW 18650, and use either a Lumen Factory EO or HO E1R lamp assembly. Based on the data in mdocod's "Lithium-Ion>Incandescent..." thread I estimate that the runtime will look something like this:

AW18650 with HO-E1R 210 minutes runs to about 65% brightness
AW18650 with EO-E1R 129 minutes runs to about 65% brightness

Have any of you done this conversion and can validate my estimate above for runtime? It seems that if this were true, "everyone would be doing it." Since I'm extrapolating well outside of the data points here I question the estimate anyway...

In any case it seems that the light would have quite good run time and decent brightness to boot.

Regards,
HB

heckboy

Enlightened
It'll be close. I reckon that I will have about .02" (.5mm) remaining thickness in the two areas of the Surefire engraving. The downside is that a drop in the right spot might ding through to the battery!

I'd say it won't be tank run-overable-anymore but that hasn't been a problem for me yet. Getting run over by tanks that is.

Later,
HB

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will an E2e even be borable to 18mm??
I got the calipers, a E2e, and Aleph 2x123 body out, and I think it's actually possible to make one fit. Possible, but not practical.
In a couple of places the body would be slightly thicker and more durable than a Coke can. It would be so thin at the threads at the bezel end, that you could probably twist the light in half by tightening the head too much. And that's not allowing any room for variance, or for insertion/removal of the cell. The point where the battery tube gives way to the tailcap threads would be extremely thin, too.

nzgunnie

Enlightened
I think leef made 1x18650 E seriese bodies (there are still 2x18650 ones at lighthound). You might post a WTB for one and see if that gets you anywhere.

heckboy

Enlightened
So digging deeper I found this thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1555648&postcount=29

I could live with the thin sections at the Surefire logo areas, but at the head, well this dog won't hunt.

I'm not finding any posts on the Leef 18650 E body. I also have a vague memory of another build for 18650 E bodies but can't find it in search. Anyone happen to save a link...

Thanks,
HB

labrat

Enlightened
Leef made 18650 bodies for E-heads and "standard" (C2, 6P, etc.) tails.
Fivemega also had some like those, and some with the tail integrated..
Mirage_Man and TranquillityBase made 18650 split-bodies for E-head and E-tails, but these are now very hard to find!

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/238725

heckboy

Enlightened
Thanks for the lead labrat. Searching Tranquilitybase, mirageman, and fivemega yielded a ton in info on this type of body tube.

Now to find one in BST.

Later,
HB

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in a light trading mood right now. I'm planning to pick up a E2e to host this little modification: bore it out to fit a AW 18650, and use either a Lumen Factory EO or HO E1R lamp assembly. Based on the data in mdocod's "Lithium-Ion>Incandescent..." thread I estimate that the runtime will look something like this:

AW18650 with HO-E1R 210 minutes runs to about 65% brightness
AW18650 with EO-E1R 129 minutes runs to about 65% brightness

Have any of you done this conversion and can validate my estimate above for runtime? It seems that if this were true, "everyone would be doing it." Since I'm extrapolating well outside of the data points here I question the estimate anyway...

In any case it seems that the light would have quite good run time and decent brightness to boot.

Regards,
HB

Do not bore it. Material left under o'ring are will be like aluminum foil.
If you find 1x18650 body, try AW's 2600mAh with Strion bulb. Over 110 Lumens and 90 minutes run time.