Masterpiece Solarforce or L950m SF?

Plus-Secur

Newly Enlightened
This is my first post after months of reading- and I feel sorry to start with a question.

I need to get some bright throwers with a nice and usable spill for ocassional professional use. I decided to get these from Solarforce as they seem to have a very good price and quality ratio. I would have the possibility to get my hands on some L950m and just wanted to order them today BUT- the announced new model from Solarforce is out now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Solarforce-Mast...in_0?hash=item3ef88a613c&_trksid=p4999.c0.m14

What are your thoughts? Getting some of the last L950m available or taking the new Masterpiece?

I`m a little in a hurry, so I need some help here.

Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot and thank you very much for your answers!

ubetit

Newly Enlightened
I tried to find an L950 a few months ago to no avail, even posted in the WTB section. Where did you see some for sale?

This light looks intersting though.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a Jetbeam M1X, I ASSURE you that you'd hit yourself for saving that 30 or so dollars.

Try to make them a lower offer. They'll give you a good deal:
http://cgi.ebay.com/JETBeam-M1X-Cre...in_0?hash=item5634f92ffd&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

They sell the Jetbeam TC-R3 for $279, i offered $200 just out of interested, and they gave me offer of $250.. =O
I was a bit surprised, but nah... i don't have the $$$ after getting 6 Ti lights from earlier. LOL Plus I prefer the IBS circuit better.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried to find an L950 a few months ago to no avail, even posted in the WTB section. Where did you see some for sale?

This light looks intersting though.

yo, the L950 can be found here for $88 good site, great service, fast shipping, i got my light delivered in Singapore within 7 working days.

erlon

Newly Enlightened
Get a Jetbeam M1X, I ASSURE you that you'd hit yourself for saving that 30 or so dollars.

Try to make them a lower offer. They'll give you a good deal:
http://cgi.ebay.com/JETBeam-M1X-Cre...in_0?hash=item5634f92ffd&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

They sell the Jetbeam TC-R3 for $279, i offered $200 just out of interested, and they gave me offer of $250.. =O
I was a bit surprised, but nah... i don't have the $$$ after getting 6 Ti lights from earlier. LOL Plus I prefer the IBS circuit better.

Better yet, you can buy directly with lower prices at hkequipment dot net

I buy from them a lot ! :thumbsup:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is my first post after months of reading- and I feel sorry to start with a question.

I need to get some bright throwers with a nice and usable spill for ocassional professional use. I decided to get these from Solarforce as they seem to have a very good price and quality ratio. I would have the possibility to get my hands on some L950m and just wanted to order them today BUT- the announced new model from Solarforce is out now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Solarforce-Mast...in_0?hash=item3ef88a613c&_trksid=p4999.c0.m14

What are your thoughts? Getting some of the last L950m available or taking the new Masterpiece?

I`m a little in a hurry, so I need some help here.

Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot and thank you very much for your answers!

Buy the masterpiece while its available. Looks good.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, lower cost, more actual output.
I tend to be skeptical of things from time to time.

Any review/evidence which led you to the conclude that the Masterpiece has higher output than the M1X?:poke:
Yes it does claim 1000 lumen, and this $34 light claims 900 lumens.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12060

Rule of thumb: be skeptical of manufacturer claims

So if a review is coming out, I suggest you to wait for it before making any financial commitments. ALL the lights that i buy has a review.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tend to be skeptical of things from time to time.

Any review/evidence which led you to the conclude that the Masterpiece has higher output than the M1X?:poke:
Take a look at the thread at the top of the LED Flashlights forum titled "Actual Lumens readings..."?
That's MrGman's thread. He knows a thing or two about light output and manufacturers claims versus actual output :)

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I just realised that thread. I don't tend to look at any of the pinned threads, maybe i should change this habit. :hitit:

umm... well apparently MrGman doesn't have a lot of passion for Jetbeam... hahaha

Take a look at the thread at the top of the LED Flashlights forum titled "Actual Lumens readings..."?
That's MrGman's thread. He knows a thing or two about light output and manufacturers claims versus actual output :)

Last edited:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you please clarify?
Any runtime/output graphs or some sort conclusive evidence?

thank you

The JetBeam M1-X if I read the info right claims 700 total lumens at the source and 450 lumens out the front. That is what I read off of a JetBeam ad from a website.
The Solarforce 900 and 950 models actually measured well over 600 lumens out the front. More in the 650 lumens range at turn on. So already these 2 models have the JB M1-X beat. The New solarforce probably doesn't make any more total lumens than the older models, just fancier packaging and maybe better heatsinking but it probably doesn't make 1 lumen less, which would mean in total power it had the JB beat already. Also doesn't have any donut hole at all in the output beam pattern. No matter how small.

Now I am sure the JB output is actually a little higher than 450 lumens I read but from what I have seen so far, I am also certain the Solarforce will beat it and cost less.

If some one had been willing to send me one to test I would have been happy to test it. No one ever did. Run time has nothing to do with which one has more output, I don't do run time tests, not worth the time. I measure total current draw from each flashlight I test and calculate run time based on the battery type/and combination that the current draw is taken from. If the JB runs longer at less output, that's fine, not the criteria I am interested in nor did I base my answer on run time.

I am sure the JetBeam is a high quality light, I just don't need it. If you have seen my videos and tests you should know why.

Last edited:

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right.

so.. Yes, lower cost, more actual output. But for how long? Don't know.
What's regulation like? Don't know.

So it could be 650lumens for 3 hrs or 650lumens for 3 seconds.

If we're here to help Plus-Secur I think we should be more informative.

My advice is: YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

Jimdo

Newly Enlightened
" My advice is: YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR"

And many times, you pay for much more than you get... Solarforce offers many nice lights and options for the money spent, I think that everyone here that has had one would agree.