D26 in G2?

jds1

Newly Enlightened
I've got a couple of five year old G2's that I'd like to update/upgrade. Is this a good choice for a drop-in? My head is fairly spinning after trying to search and decipher all the P60 drop-in threads. :eek: What are the lumen outputs of the three different levels? How is switching accomplished? Will the higher output trash the Lexan window? Thanks.

http://www.lumensfactory.com/cart_detail.php?id=98

Jeff

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have a G2 versus a G2L, you will have to be careful with any high output LED drop-in due to the G2 not having great heat dissipation capabilities.

If you have a G2L with the aluminum head, then you are good to go.

Niconical

Enlightened
The cycling between modes is done by a quick on/off, although I'm not sure how may seconds you get on that particular model. Many users tend to prefer a clickie switch for multimodes, so they can do multiple quick presses to cycle up or down through their levels, but I personally still prefer a twisty, as on your G2s.

As for heat, it's not the lexan window you need to worry about, it's the LED itself. When it's on high, and surrounded by the nitrolon body of the G2, the heat can't dissipate as well as it could with a metal head, so the drop-in itself can get too hot. This doesn't have an immediately obvious effect, more of a long term LED lifespan effect. Actually I suppose if it gets hot enough it would instantly burn out, but I have no idea on the facts and figures on that.

You should ideally also get 2 metal heads for the G2, easily found on the Marketplace, then you can have whatever dropin you want running high and bright.

shark_za

Enlightened
I don't have experience with that exact combo (3-mode) but have a G2 as well as a Lumens Factory D26 single mode.

I am very worried about the heat generated and use a Surefire P60L in the G2 for its heat regulation.
I have the D26's in a Seraph and a 6PD. There and in a Solarforce, I run them down to cutoff with 2x 18650 and don't see heat issues.
Any metal body yes, G2 Nitrolon = no.

I would think the lower two modes would be ok though.

jds1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the comments everyone. Do I have any drop-in options to consider other than the P60L without changing the heads.

Jeff

lightinsky

Enlightened
I don't have em but Malkoff has stuff for the all nitrolin G2 you can run safely. Others on this forum know better.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i had this drop in running in the G2 which i dropped in a taxi *sob sob* it was great and very bright off 2xRCR123s.

I also got a LF EO-9 but i put that into my Solarforce L2 instead of my replacement G2.