Law enforcement light

Blacksidesniper

Newly Enlightened
I have a Olight T20M (And like it) And am looking for another light.

I collect LE gear and am looking for a modern Law Enforcement style light. I am considering a surefire G3 holster kit and a Fenix TA-21.

I have filled out the checklist. Of course I would be open to any light that fits the checklist.

0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?

__x__I will be mail-ordering or buying online

1) How much you want to pay for it, Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest!

____I only want to pay $1-15.
____I can spend $20-35.
____I could spend $40-75. (most decent quality lights start here)
__x__I am willing to spend $80-$120.
____I have budget of 200$
____I have no limit!
____I look for the best bang for my buck per my needs, you suggest me the options?

1.1 How much CAN you pay for it? -see the difference?
Can you wait longer and save up more money for it if neccessary?
___no i need it urgently
_x__yes i can wait for newer model or better model i have afford now.

How long can you wait for getting it?
___now! (picking it up from store near by if possible)
_x__few days (postal delivery in same country i am in now)
___few weeks (overseas delivery)
___dont care/months (out of stock or custom made or certain unrelieble vendors that sell cheap but sometimes shipping takes forever)

2)Format:
_x__i want a Led flashlight. (this qustionaire is more aimed to led lights)
___i want a Incan flashlight
___i want a HID
___i want a speacialized light UV or IR etc.. what: __________

__x__I want a flashlight.
____I want a headlamp.
____I want a lantern.
____I want a portable spotlight.

3) Length:
____1-2 inches. (Keychain sized) -buttoncells and other special small batteries.
____2-4 inches. (Pocket carry) -most 1cell lights (aa/cr123)
__x__4-9 inches. (Holster carry) -most 2-3 cell lights
____I don't care.

4) Width:

__x__I don't care.
____I prefer a narrow/thin light.
____I prefer a thicker light.

Will you need to use the flashlight with gloves or such?
__x_yes ___no

Size is dependant of also how many batteries do you want it to use?
___ One (short pocket carry)
__x_Two (medium pocket/holster)
__x_Three or more (big lights high output and mostly for extended runtime)

2 to 4.

5)What kind of batteries do you want to use?

I would like CR123A's/RCR123's or AA's.

6)How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want really low output to preserve night vision (0.01-5 lumens)
____I want to read a map, or find a light switch, in a dark room. (5-10 lumens)
____I want to walk around a generally paved area. (15-30 lumens)
__x__I want to walk unpaved trails. (40 lumens)
__x__I want to do Caving or Search & Rescue operations. (60+lumens)
__x__I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)
____i want to light an object far away (distance beyond 100yards)

(most of the higher quality small/medium sized led flashlights these days are capable of output between 100-250lumens.. and the bigger floodlights are actually in 300-900lm range. But the throw is dictated alot by the size and shape of the reflector. So 200lm from small light will not match the actual throw of 200lm big light)

7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.

Throw (distance)------------------x----|--x--------------------Flood

7.1) What is the distance you will need it most?
___close up (0.10m-3.0m/ 4inches-10ft) -close by work light
___near by (2.0m-10.0meters 6ft-30ft) -walking light.
_x__medium distance (10-30 meters 10yards- 30yards) -dog walks/outdoor and back yard sweeper.
___medium to long distance but Flood a wide area?
___long throw but smaller beam spot.

Remember there is no perfect allrounder, only compromises. Pick the one(s) where you need it most. Right tool for right job.

Led lights

8)Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.
Which is more important, to you Runtime or Output which you are ready to sacrifice?
___output
___runtime

Which you look for in a flashlight
____Runtime on HIGH
__x__Runtime on LOW

Runtime on High:
____20 min. (I want the brightest light for brief periods)
__x__40-120 min. Under 2 hours. (Most flashlights today run on maximum in this time frame)
____240-360 min. (4-6 hours)
____360+ min. (More than 6 hours, most lights are cabable only in lower modes for this time)

9) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important more of an Convinience light (A "night-stand" And "find the fuse box" light)
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood. Taking the trash out or walk the dog)
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)
__x__Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Self-defense, Survival.)
__x__Apocalypse Now Emergency (Hurricane, Tsunami, -extremely long runtime is the key feature)

8) Switch Type:

____I don't care.
**so rare i would drop this totally**____I want a sliding switch. (Stays on until slid back.)
____Twist Switch (twist bezel or something similar to turn on/off)
__x__I want a "clickie" switch. (Stays on until pressed again.)
____I want a "momentary only" switch. (Only stays on while held down.)
____Selector Ring or similar.

9) Switch Location:

____I don't care.
____I want a push or sliding switch on the body near the head. (these side clickys are rare)
__x__I want a push switch on the back end of the body. (most common)
____I want a rotating head switch. (twisty light)
____I want a rotating end-cap switch. (rarer twisty light)
**** this should be in the special needs/ add ons and options?
____I want a remote control.

Of Clicky switches:
_x_Foward clicky (press half way in and get momentary burst of light, for signaling etc)
__Reverse clicky (push in whole to click on. No momentary function)

On multimode lights changing the modes happens by half pressing/tapping the clicky button. -Foward clickys allow you to tap thu the modes and choose the right mode/output without actually clickin the light on.
-Reverse clicky demands you to click it on before choosing the constant output.
-And on twisty lights that have more than one output/mode they are generally chosen by quickly loosening and tightening the head/bezel to change between the modes.

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.

__x__A simple on-off is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
__x__I want multiple light levels. (some lights have up to 3-16 light levels or functions.)
____I want a flashlight thats mode sequence is programmable/customizable to my preference.
____I want Ramp Up sequence (starts on low-medium-high)
____I want Ramp Down sequence (starts always on High followed by med-low etc.)

____I want to be able to adjust the output anywhere between low and high.. infinite adjustment
__x__I am ok if i need to twist the head or something to access some of the modes.

____I want a locator blink or sos mode. (blinks to show location.)
__x__I want a tactical strobe. (Flashes rapidly to disorient an opponent. Do you really need it?)

Options:
Floodier and smoother beams are commonly Orange peel reflectors and throwers have Smooth reflector surfaces.
Any preference?
____OP
____SMO

Led Tints:
_x__dont care.
___white
___neutral white (creamy color with little more yellow..)
___warm white (nearest to incan color rendition index)

higher CRI lights like neutral and warm tints have a bit more "natural" looking light output when outside in the woods.. they show greens and brown colors more like they appear in sunlight. Whiter tints have little higher output than the warmer tints do and do repeat white and blue shades more.
Warm and neutral tints are rare in led lights as they are the newest development. Only few manufacturers support them at the moment.

and ease of use:
Do you need short cuts to certain modes or outputs?
___yes
_x__no

Which:
__x_ Do you need FAST and easy access to High
___Do you need fast access to Low
___Do you need fast access to Strobe

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?

__x__I don't care.
____I want a metal-bodied light.
____I want a plastic/composite light. (rare these days especially in new and high output models due heat issues)

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

____Red (night vision preserving) filter
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________)
____Other Diffusers or add on´s like:
__x__trafic wand (normally red plastic attachment)
____candle/lantern/flood cap what___________
__x__Waterproof – how deep: __about 10 feet, but the more the better___________
__x__Water resistant (drops into puddle, use in rain)
____Non-reflective/dark finish (stealthy/hard to find)
____Polished silver or brightly colored finish (for easy locating)
____Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
**rare option in led age?**____Built-in second (or spare) lamp or filament
__x__Kobuton/self defense (crenulated bezel, "teeths")
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments
***moved*** ____Remote control (for gun mounting or camera use?)

How Are you going to carry it?
__x__Belt/Jacket Pocket clip
___bezel up
___bezel down
___reversible up or down
___dont care.

__x__Holster ( does it need to be molle or similar compatible?)
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____keychain (many AAA sized lights are small enough for this and still pack a punch)

Your help is greatly appreciated. :D

js-lots

Newly Enlightened
Looking over your checklist I found a couple of flashlights that fit your needs.
1. Eagletac T20C2
2. Jetbeam RRT-2 Raptor
3. Would have recommended the Olight, but you own that one already.
The above lights have a number of good reviews see
www.light-reviews.com/reviews.html and
www.sliderule.ca/cpf.htm
Both of these sites have comprehensive reviews on many quality lights and are updated regularly. I also am in law enforcement, but I enjoy using the quad die emitters on my flashlights because I like the extra flood in close quarter applications. Even at the expense of runtime. Good Luck

Blacksidesniper

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your help. I would still like any more suggestions, if anyone has any.

Last edited:

bkumanski

Enlightened
Looking over your checklist I found a couple of flashlights that fit your needs.
1. Eagletac T20C2
2. Jetbeam RRT-2 Raptor
3. Would have recommended the Olight, but you own that one already.
The above lights have a number of good reviews see
www.light-reviews.com/reviews.html and
www.sliderule.ca/cpf.htm
Both of these sites have comprehensive reviews on many quality lights and are updated regularly. I also am in law enforcement, but I enjoy using the quad die emitters on my flashlights because I like the extra flood in close quarter applications. Even at the expense of runtime. Good Luck
+1 for the Raptor (with the OP reflector for spill)
-1 for the Eagletac. It is a promising light for LE, but the strobe on the forward clickie switch is a dealbreaker for me. I use momentary on a lot, and I would just end up turning on strobe when I didn't want to. They may fix theis in the near future though, as there have been extensive threads on it around here. Cool for general use, not for LE use.

I use 3 lights, mostly. I have a DBS with a short extension and the MCE (smaller form runs on 2 18500s) and it fits in my sap pocket or in a stinger holster.

I also have a 2C P7 Malkoff dropin that I change up with the DBS (its a tougher light and has a better feeling side switch). With a glass lens and OP reflector, it really is a great patrol light. The 3C works good too and can fit the larger 18650s, but it is longer... big plus, a focusing beam from spot to flood :twothumbs. This is my current favorite.

I have a Dereelight CL1H V4 in my pocket or on my tac vest as a backup. With an OP reflector, it has decent spill. (Sometimes I play around an put the MCE in it, but it draws too much from the CR123s and gets hot fast.) Stick with the R2s. I used to have an Eagletac T10C2, but it was "misplaced" :mecry: and I liked it better than the newer T10LC2 for regulation and looks (no SS bezel anymore. its an "option" :ironic:)

Everyone has good opinions, and many are LE too and have used them. These are the ones I have found work best in my situation on patrol.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
don't forget an upgraded drop-in (mine has the sst-90 from nailbender:twothumbs) surefire makes one heck of a light but they are still lagging a bit with LED technology, a new P60 light engine will amaze you.