Regulated lights and low batteries

Aux

Newly Enlightened
I was using my Stinger DS LED tonight, on a battery that had not been charged in some time. I noticed that it had run down to about half brightness, when it started to become inconsistent in turning on. Sometimes it would turn on with the first click, sometimes on the second click, sometimes not at all for several seconds between clicks.

I assume that since this is a regulated, multi-mode light, a certain voltage is needed to run the circuit, and if it drops below that voltage, the light will not run at all. I am also assuming that since the switch performs different functions (on/off, brightness, strobe), a lack of power can also alter the switch operation pattern.

My question: Is this common among other regulated lights?

It is something of a concern that the light would not come on at all, and as a duty light that can be problematic. Yes, a fresh charge should be used at the beginning of each shift, but some nights can be long and I don't want my equipment getting "flaky".

HKJ

Flashaholic
I was using my Stinger DS LED tonight, on a battery that had not been charged in some time. I noticed that it had run down to about half brightness, when it started to become inconsistent in turning on. Sometimes it would turn on with the first click, sometimes on the second click, sometimes not at all for several seconds between clicks.

I assume that since this is a regulated, multi-mode light, a certain voltage is needed to run the circuit, and if it drops below that voltage, the light will not run at all. I am also assuming that since the switch performs different functions (on/off, brightness, strobe), a lack of power can also alter the switch operation pattern.

My question: Is this common among other regulated lights?

It is mostly a problem with boost regulators, they need a minimum voltage to start, but when they are started they can supply them self from the generated voltage.
I have seen it on all the boost regulated lights that I have made a voltage plot on.