Leds for 3s 18650 and D2flex?

A380

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I just received from Dx an Ultrafire WF-2000F that "must" :naughty: be modified.
It uses 3x18650 in series with a P7 and a 65mm diameter reflector so there is much space to put more leds and reflectors.
In this mod i'm going to try wiyh a d2flex board but have some doubts with leds and reflectors because I would like some throw.
Options:
A) 3x P7 with 30mm reflectors.
B) 3x P7 one tiablo A9 reflector for throw and two 20mm reflectors.
C) 9x XP-G R5 3series of 3 paralel leds. Maybe a big reflector in the midle and eight small ones surroinding it?
Hope some one can help me choosing. Of course other options are welcome.

Thanks,
Ot.

Mettee

Enlightened
I have done several triple p7 lights, the part that is missing is throw or a hotter hot spot at a better distance. You can see a lot of light with them but its not focused.

I think the 9 led option would be cool, with one big reflector(think you mentioned tiablo A9) in the middle for throw.

A380

Newly Enlightened
Thankyou Metee.
I thought the same as you, but wanted to be sure.
Finally I decided to go with 9 xp-g but with aspheric lenses.
I know that is not tne best for this, but don't want a super thrower. Also it seems that there are not good reflectors yet for xp-g and I prefer having a big hotspot with not side spill.
Next step is trying to make a good heat sink without a lathe.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
that Ultrafire WF-2000F has a lot of potential... my concern is how to get extra windows... i suppose one could be made from acrylic etc...

also ; i'd feel a little iffy about that switch... anybody got a source for a quality/reliable momentary switch?!

Mettee

Enlightened
I wish I could get my hands on the same light, I could be of some service....It is going to be really tough to fit one large reflector into the heatsink and maintain the height for the shorter smaller reflectors. if that makes sense ;/

you will have to manage to make a multilevel heatsink. It is doable I think.

and I really like the tiablo reflectors, have had great luck with them.

A380

Newly Enlightened
jar3ds: first I'll have to wait for the leds to arrive to start with the heatsink, so I can calculate the height of it.
I don't understand what do you mean with "how to get extra windows".
About the momentary switch I think that there are lots of options on your local store because the swicth don't handle the current, it's the d2flex that does it.

Mettee: You are right about the diference in height reflectors, but as I'm going to use aspheric lenses I'll have no problems with it.

Mettee

Enlightened
so each of the 9 leds is going to have an aspheric? There will be one tiablo sized reflector and 8(lets say for the hell of it) mcr20's around the main reflector. So the tiablo will have an aspheric as well as the "mcr20" ones?

not sure why you are choosing aspherics but I think the reflectors alone would be better for what you wanted, a mix of flood and throw. If I am wrong please correct me. maybe one aspheric on the big reflector for throw?

something like this
TripleP7027.jpg

keep in mind a D2flex with this http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22573 light is going to be tough, looks like a tail switch. It could be done I think if that tail cap has room. And the battery would have to go in the other way(plus to the tail).

you may not be able to use a D2flex, and there might be a better suited electronic. It will aid in making the build more affordable and easier to build.

Last edited:

A380

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I'm going to use a 20mm aspheric lens for each led, but not going to use reflectors.
There are two reasons for not using reflector. The most important is that I havent found the right ones for the XP-G, only for the XP-E and they are slightly diferent. Also I prefer having a big hotspot with no side spill.
I know that I'm going to loose some lumens, but enyway, it will still be a "monster".
D2flex is going to be wired with a conector to the switch, so I can take out the battery tray to replace them. I also have to make something that prevents from rotating this battery tray.
There is a 5mm gap from tha tail cap to the top of the switch, enough for a momentary one.
I decided to go with the d2flex because its eficiency and not going to use high level very often. Enyway, I haven't found a driver that can drive 9 leds with 3s 18650, but if you have a better idea it will be welcome.

Mettee

Enlightened
well I think I can put together what you are describing and I understand better now. As far as boards I think the D2flex is a great one, I use it a lot. I have not looked at the binning on the new leds you are going to use and have not thought a lot about what other electronics could be used.