Halloween Cemetary Tour!

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Old City Cemetary in Sacramento does a lantern tour for Halloween. Its spooky in the day time. Lots of inky blackness at night even with a good flashlight!

http://www.oldcitycemetery.com/Lantern.htm

Lantern Tours
Friday & Saturday, October 23 & 24
6:30, 8:00 & 9:30 pm
Fundraiser - $25
SORRY! WE ARE SOLD OUT!!

Get into the 'spirit' of the season! On October 23 and 24, Old City Cemetery Committee presents "Lantern Tours." Costumed docents tell the stories of our historic and notable cemetery residents by lantern light as you venture further into the shadows of the Sacramento Historic City Cemetery. Bring your imagination and a flashlight!

The tours commence at 6:30, 8:00 & 9:30 pm from the Cemetery's main gate at Broadway and 10th Street. Visitors may park across the street from the 10th Street Gate and meet at the cemetery entrance. Held under the auspices of the City of Sacramento Division of History & Science, this tour is a fund-raiser for the Old City Cemetery Committee, Inc.

I scored tickets this year for the 9:30pm tour and I'm taking my Niece and Nephew!

Now what lights do I bring? I think I will keep them under 100 lumens and all incans. Me, C3; Nephew, M2, and my Niece, E1e.

I love this time of year!!!

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
As awesome as this is (I live in the East Bay), it's probably best posted in the Cafe.:)

If I were to go, I'd bring the PH50.:devil:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I agree with you about keeping the # of lumens down. Yes it's fun to blast out 3000L as a flashaholic but pretty much ruins it for everyone else.

100 shouldn't be too much. Enjoy the tour!

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Hey... my grandparents are buried there!!
if you happen to bump into Earnest and Marie Joe tell them I say hi!!

LOL

Happy Haloween CPF!@

Burgess

Flashaholic
Interesting !

For maximum "spookiness", perhaps you should take ONLY

a cheap, flickering, bargain-bin incand. flashlight.

With weak batteries.

And an un-reliable, corroded switch.

:candle:

How old are yer' Niece and Nephew ?

Good Luck, and please let us know how it turns out.

:eeksign:
_

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting !

For maximum "spookiness", perhaps you should take ONLY

a cheap, flickering, bargain-bin incand. flashlight.

With weak batteries.

And an un-reliable, corroded switch.

How old are yer' Niece and Nephew ?

Good Luck, and please let us know how it turns out.

_

16 and 14.

Where can I get a set of Zinc Carbide "Never Ready" batteries for my red plastic flashlight?!

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bring something that fits the pocket in case you hear a bump and need to light up the whole place to check it out.

but only use it in that event, or , you know, an emergency, like someone falls down/gets lost/etc

but use an Eveready Red cheapie otherwise..:D

Crenshaw

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got your perfect lights to help set the mood. Primary on the right, backup on the left.

imgp5873.jpg

tygger

Enlightened
Perfect quertydude. Dim, old-school incan is the way to go. And no cheating with a warm tint LED!

hyeTotum

Newly Enlightened
Man! That field trip sounds like a blast!!! :cool: Wish I was goin', too!

But yeah, just take the little Photon Micro-Light off of your keychain and pass it around if you guys need light...

...I mean, what could go wrong??! Right? :candle:

hauntedgraveyard.jpg

Burgess

Flashaholic
Cue the Ominous-Sounding Music here . . . .

_

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tour update!

The tour was a blast! At certain graves they had actors explaining the circumstances on how they made it to the cemetary. As we walked from grave to grave we were free to illuminate the surroundings. I had a M3 which was easily the brightest light in the group. This was the 1st time I really got to use it. I love that light! My Niece had a E1e and my Nephew had a E2D w/KX2.

Non-flashaholics should not be allowed to use flashlights. One lady in the group insisted on illuminating the actors with a cheap 2D flashlight. This totally ruined the lantern lighting effect. When I asked her to turn off her light it only made her more stubborn. And the non-believers like to shine their lights into the faces of people they talk too. Crap, I'm becoming a bitter old man...

My Niece and I volunteered to work the tour next year. You can either stand on the tour route and keep people from wandering or dress up in period costumes or as ghousts and just hang out.

kelmo

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should point you m6 at that lady pointing her 2d light while you tell her isn't it annoying when people point their lights at your eyes? :laughing:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The last time I was wandering around a cemetary it was many years ago with a black Surefire E2. It provided a lot of light, but I never did find what I was looking for. Maybe next time! :faint:

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Double yeps on the cheap flickering incan light.

Yrs ago went on an adult "graveside tour", they had plenty of ghouls and goblins popping out. Then, the piece de' resistence..... tour guide takes us into a REALLY dark section. We hear some sort of low hissing, he keeps using his really weak light trying to spot the noise. He tells us to start moving towards the gate while he's looking for the sound, Now its getting closer, more hissing and other unidentifyable sounds. He yells for us to move faster, whatever it is, is now very close. He turns and his light catches something moving, its gray and shiny. He screams, the light drops to the ground and his screams become muffled and then fade, because we're all running like hell!!! Everyones shrieking and yelling, scared witless running to the cemetery gate.

One of the "gatekeepers" is yelling. "Whats happening, whats happening?!!" More bloodcurdling screaming behind us. Best halloween scare I ever had, it was great. We never did see that tour guide again....