**New Flashlight Standards Just Announced

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
CPF'ers,

I didn't see this posted so if this is a double post I apologize.

A coalition of flashlight companies have put their heads together and decided to create a new flashlight standard.

Here is the link to article:

http://www.shootingwire.com/story/207490

Unfortunately, they want $60 to find out what the standards are.

Regards,
Flavio

ptolemy

Enlightened
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Anyone who sets standards for others and thinks they can charge $ to find those out, obviously is afraid of something:)

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Way to go, Streamlight! I think it's great that SL has stepped up to the plate to push forward in this area.

Kudos Grande to them!

:twothumbs

Marduke

Flashaholic
I have known about this for quite some time. It's nice to see it finally made available for implementation. I think people will be surprised to notice which product packaging has already been adjusted for labeling requirements so they can slap on the stamp and immediately start shipping conformal products.

What is perhaps more interesting than what testing it consists of and who sponsored it is who DIDN'T sponsor it.... MagLite.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Anyone who sets standards for others and thinks they can charge $ to find those out, obviously is afraid of something:)

The fact is that you have to pay for most standards, and often a standard has references to other standards, i.e. you might have to buy 10 documents to get all information about a standard.
This payment is one of the income sources that a standard organization has, the other income source is (sometimes) from companies defining the standard, i.e. the companies pays to be in a working group for making standards.
This standard might make it easier to compare lights, but it will probably only be used by the big manufacturers.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Sweetness! this is LONG overdue.

What manufacturers contributed (oops nm I just read the .pdf)
Theres not even a wiki for it yet.
What does the package labeling look like?... just an "ANSI-FL-1" logo?

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I am shocked to see Coast on the list of contributors and Inova missing!!

I have always found Coast published specs grossly over-rated and Inova somewhat close. If Coast (Led Lenser) products currently meet FL-1... I don't know... that doesn't sound like a spec I should be looking for.

ptolemy

Enlightened
The fact is that you have to pay for most standards, and often a standard has references to other standards, i.e. you might have to buy 10 documents to get all information about a standard.
This payment is one of the income sources that a standard organization has, the other income source is (sometimes) from companies defining the standard, i.e. the companies pays to be in a working group for making standards.
This standard might make it easier to compare lights, but it will probably only be used by the big manufacturers.

but that's my point...

shouldn't these standards be FREE and PUBLIC? but in order to use the logo, then you charge them fees!

standards are meant to be public, so others can compare to them and be able to verify them

Marduke

Flashaholic
but that's my point...

shouldn't these standards be FREE and PUBLIC? but in order to use the logo, then you charge them fees!

standards are meant to be public, so others can compare to them and be able to verify them
Almost all standards are not free. Rarely does a standard use a logo as in this case, and the standards would not exist unless some organization can get enough money to create and control them.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
81055072.png

nodarthvader.jpg

HKJ

Flashaholic
but that's my point...

I would also prefer that it was free, but the company that is making the standard needs money to stay in business, they are not fully government sponsored.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
If American companies are the only ones that will follow this standard what good is it. We all know who has the unreliable numbers.

This should be an international standard.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will be interesting to see how they implement this, and how specific the guidelines/results in each category are displayed.

I'm a bit dubious about manufacturers volunteering to be completely open about their products' shortcomings, and am already envisioning companies assigning them a score based on the total results, or on a curve based on expected usage, or some gay crap like that. Guess time will tell.