Looking for an EDC

nickdolin

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, now that I have my M1X I've developed a need for an EDC. I'd like to stick with something that takes the CR123's but with a few criteria.

Clip- I don't want to holster, so something easily pocketed
Battery- CR123, something regulated on these, or something that can run well on Alkaline AA's
Output- 150+ Lumens, Flooder in an EDC case, would like a neutral tint
Brands- Most any really
Price- $50-$100
On/Off- Clicky not twisty :grin2:

I've found a few that I do like

EagleTac P10C (But head looks a bit big)
Fenix PD30+ My favorite so far but it looks a bit long (And aren't these regulated for the Cr123's?, but it takes 2x 123's but short)
Fenix PD20 (better size than 30+ but no clip, can one be put on?)
NiteCore's (Best size, but no clip, but available in neutral white)
JetBeam III M R2 (Much like the PD30+ but a bit more expensive and longer, but available in the Q3 which is a warmer tint I like)

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

FlashlightsNgear.com

→Formerly d1live←, Flashaholic
The Eagletac P10C is a good choice, great output for a small light. Another light that comes to mind is the 4Sevens Quark 1x123 Tactical Version with clip, the clip isnt removable but the Tactical user interface is a very nice touch, regular version strobes way to easy for my liking, tactical version is programmable for both modes so you dont have to worry about selecting a mode you dont want.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
A diffuser, or some diffusing film(to put inside the lens if you can get to it) of whatever you get, since you say you want a "flooder", yet none of the lights you list are. I have no personal experience with that brand, but you said the Jetbeam is available with a neutral tint, and I believe the bezel ring and lens are easily removed...plus it'll match your M1X:grin2:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
perhaps you may wish to consider a Solarforce L2M? there're 2 versions, one that can be adapted to take a 18650 cell and the other which cannot, i'd personally stump up a bit more cash and get the flexibility of having a choice of cells.

nickdolin

Newly Enlightened
After recieving a new knive today (Spyderco Centofante) and measuring it's legnth (115mm or so) I think I would be fine with the PD30+ at 118mm and only 21mm in diameter whereas the TK10 I have is 135mm x 35mm (the diameter is the biggy for me) as it seems the PD30+ is just a touch more in diameter than the batterys that power it.

nickdolin

Newly Enlightened
Actually, I may go for the surefire Lx2. It doesn't exactly fit my criteria but it still looks like it'd be a pretty easy carry'er. I'm actually celebrating a new promotion (told today) so I'm gonna splurge a bit I think. The LX2 seems to get high marks as well as the brand and it can be had at about 160-170 from what I've seen. Thanks for the recommendations but I want the Lx2! :)

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get yourself a Fenix TK10 and forget about any other lights.
He doesn't like his:
the TK10 I have is 135mm x 35mm (the diameter is the biggy for me)

Nickdolin, I enjoy my Quark AA^2 - For flood/throw options I suggest the 2x CR123 version with a diffuser. It has sane levels and a good click.

Edit: let's give more reasons for the Quark.
Good construction - although they're too new for reliability reports.
Sane light levels across the brightness.
Pick which end is at the clip
.86" diameter at the head
2xCR123 light is 4.5" long.
Quick shipping and the CPF discount.

Last edited:

vizlor

Newly Enlightened
I am very impressed with the Quark series. Either the AA or cr123a versions are good.

nickdolin

Newly Enlightened
I like my TK10 but it's a bit bulky for EDC purposes, the thing is silly bright in all reality but it's hefty and the 35mm diameter means a big buldge in the pocket where the LX2 or PD30+ *still like this one* is much thinner with the ladder being only 21mm or just a touch more than the 123 batteries that power it.

The Wolf

Newly Enlightened
My EDC is a Surefire e2 with a lighthound EOE2R (150 lumen xenon) and RCR123's. I belt carry it in a Blade-Tech horizontal belt holster. Very nice setup IMO.