Between XP-E and MC-E

redbaron4321

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I'm new here, so my apologies if this has been asked over and over. I am looking for an LED that falls somewhere between the XP-E and the MC-E in brightness (~200 lumens at 350mW). I know CREE does not make an LED that meets this criteria, but is there some other manufacturer, and are they competitive from an efficiency standpoint. A make and model would be appreciated if it exists.

Thanks in Advance,
Rick

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi All,

I'm new here, so my apologies if this has been asked over and over. I am looking for an LED that falls somewhere between the XP-E and the MC-E in brightness (~200 lumens at 350mW). I know CREE does not make an LED that meets this criteria, but is there some other manufacturer, and are they competitive from an efficiency standpoint. A make and model would be appreciated if it exists.

Thanks in Advance,
Rick
The XP-G is between the MC-E and the XP-E. 200 lumens at 350mW?:thinking: Are you trying to say lumens per watt?

Marduke

Flashaholic
I sense a fundamental misunderstanding of led specifications.

Do you mean 200lm @ 350mA? Nothing comes close at this time.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I know Cree is kind of at the top of the pile for efficacy with the XP-G right now. They were at the top of the pile before as well with the XR-E and XP-E.

Supposedly Nichia came up with something (NSW Something-something TE?) that had good efficacy but I haven't seen many of them around. I think the max current limit was lower than that of the Cree emitters. Though the fact that they are not as common does not mean they are inferior. There are a few really pricey lights that use this LED.

But for the money it's going to be hard to beat the XP-G. And not to get too in depth but it is a sort of middle ground (2mm2 emitter area) between the multi die (~4mm2) MC-E and the single die (1mm2) XR-E and XP-E. The larger the emitter area the more dispersed the lighting pattern will likely be.

But the XP-G is showing promising results so far. Take a lookie here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/245239

That's at ~800ma, depending on how well the XP-G overdrives this may become a very popular mod.

Exciting times here at CPF. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that we're glad to have you here to see them.

Last edited:

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
100_1693.jpg

Have a guess if the mc-e is on the left?
MG PLI drives the mc-e WD @ 2.4a

The other is a xp-g smooth reflector drop-in I made.
Promising performance indeed.

outersquare

Enlightened
yeah i was thinking about ordering another MCE P60 drop in, but then i realized the XPG could be a substitute at lower cost and less heat.
looks like the results confirm.