LF2XT & LF3XT

Budman231

Enlightened
Can someone give me an idea of how similar/different these 2 lights are.?

I have an LF3XT and love it. I have been thinking about picking up a 2xt and was wondering if the lights are just to similar to bother.

If someone has both, can you comment..?

Thanks,
Budman

bansuri

Enlightened
Budman,
I JUST got my LF2XT today. I too love my LF3XT, I love the smooth transition from spot to flood and I think the UI should be an industry standard.
I hate AAAs, but for this little beauty I'll happily make an exception. There are a few extra options in programming, but it's not a big deal if you're used the the LF3XT. Considering how many hours you've pored over the flowchart I don't think you'll have any trouble.
Of course it's nowhere near as bright, but ring-free, neutral output lights up a dark room beautifully. I know now why they go nuts for the Ti versions, it's a neat little light in a deceptively small package.
It's small.
Really small.
The body minus the head is just about the exact size of a AA. Somehow it's still pretty grippable. I had an LF5XT and found it to be too slippery. The ribs on the LF2XT are an improvement. If it's still too slippery you can get the Ti version that's fully knurled.
Anyway, hate to gush over it, but it's awesome. You won't know it's in your pocket.
I find the LF3XT to be a little tough to manipulate without the lanyard wrapped around it as there are no detents or ribs. And that's about my only gripe with it.
As far as the heart of your question: are they too similar to bother?
I have no regrets buying the LF2XT and feel they are in completely different usage categories.
As you can tell I'm nuts for this thing.
However.... someone hinted at an upcoming emitter refresh on the LF2XT so it might be worth waiting a month or 2. I read it right after I placed my order:scowl:.
Longer runtimes. More light.

Budman231

Enlightened
Budman,
I JUST got my LF2XT today. I too love my LF3XT, I love the smooth transition from spot to flood and I think the UI should be an industry standard.
I hate AAAs, but for this little beauty I'll happily make an exception. There are a few extra options in programming, but it's not a big deal if you're used the the LF3XT. Considering how many hours you've pored over the flowchart I don't think you'll have any trouble.
Of course it's nowhere near as bright, but ring-free, neutral output lights up a dark room beautifully. I know now why they go nuts for the Ti versions, it's a neat little light in a deceptively small package.
It's small.
Really small.
The body minus the head is just about the exact size of a AA. Somehow it's still pretty grippable. I had an LF5XT and found it to be too slippery. The ribs on the LF2XT are an improvement. If it's still too slippery you can get the Ti version that's fully knurled.
Anyway, hate to gush over it, but it's awesome. You won't know it's in your pocket.
I find the LF3XT to be a little tough to manipulate without the lanyard wrapped around it as there are no detents or ribs. And that's about my only gripe with it.
As far as the heart of your question: are they too similar to bother?
I have no regrets buying the LF2XT and feel they are in completely different usage categories.
As you can tell I'm nuts for this thing.
However.... someone hinted at an upcoming emitter refresh on the LF2XT so it might be worth waiting a month or 2. I read it right after I placed my order:scowl:.
Longer runtimes. More light.

Thanks for the info. I just bought my first AAA a month ago.. The Maratac AAA. It is very, very small. Only thing with it is I don't care for twistys all that much. Not a fan of the 2 handed operation. The maratac is a nice little light and surprizingly bright also. Now when I think that the 2xt is like the maratac with a clicky, and has the 3xt UI, seems like a winner. :twothumbs

I may wait until the emitter upgrade as you suggest.

Good luck with your new light... Thanks again.

Budman

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
The difference is ...... HORNS! :laughing:

slimfat.jpg

Would you prefer the slim pill or the fat pill?

I would go for LF3XT only if I want a brighter output.

bansuri

Enlightened
Seeing that Ti flashing around reminded me: the new run of LF2XTi are the light/Ti Tube combo only. No option to buy the tube to upgrade your existing light. So if you're interested in Ti you need to take that in to consideration.
That's another thing I found out within a day of ordering my light...:(
Oh well, it would be a great light in a plastic tube!

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
AAA lights are now getting runtimes and brightness levels that you couldn't even get a couple years ago with CR123's or AA's. So they are now well worth owning IMO. In the past I didn't care for them much but they are now an attractive addition for flashaholics. And for just one example I think the LF2XT's feature of reading battery voltage to 1/100 of a volt is fantastic. AFAIK it's the only light that can do this.

KuKu427

Enlightened
Eh? Emitter upgrade? Only thing I heard about is a personal mod...

bansuri

Enlightened
Eh? Emitter upgrade? Only thing I heard about is a personal mod...
Ah, I misunderstood. Sorry.:oops:

LiteFlux offered a limited R2 version of the LF2XT, who knows what they've got up their sleeve?
They're not gonna let anything out ahead of time and hurt sales, right?

LED Cool

Enlightened
in the LF3XT CUI, you cannot activate over discharge protection. but you can do so with 4C+PH in the LF2XT CUI & FUI.

also the battery voltage report in the LF2XT reports to 2 decimal places. i.e. 1.38V instead of just 1.3V.

and the LF2XT adds a 3 minutes auto-off function with temporary by pass.

the main differences between the LF2XT and LF3XT is the simpler direct access method used in the FUI.

Below are the direct access commands for LF2XT in FUI, some of the commands also works in the LF2XT CUI.

1C = Turns light on and off.
2C = change mode.
3C = temporarily by pass the 3 minutes auto-off function (if enabled). works in CUI & FUI.
4C = Toggle on/off for momentary on. works in CUI & FUI.
5C = Battery voltage report. works in CUI & FUI.

PH = 100% max output

1C+PH = random strobe
2C+PH = not used
3C+PH = user programming mode with sub-menus. (brightness, frequencies & brightness of strobe/beacon, brightness of SOS)

4C+PH = Toggle on/off for over discharge protection. works in CUI & FUI.
5C+PH = Toggle between CUI and FUI.
6C+PH = enter number of modes selection with sub-menu.

7C+PH = Toggle on/off for last mode memory.
8C+PH = Toggle on/off for 3 minutes auto off function. works in CUI & FUI.
9C+PH = not used.
10C+PH = Factory reset.

you can pretty much direct access most of the features in the FUI without going into a menu system and then further into the sub-menus.

hopes this helps to give users, besides the obvious physical size and battery difference, a better understanding of the features & UI differences between LF2XT & LF3XT.

khoo

KuKu427

Enlightened
Ah, I misunderstood. Sorry.:oops:

LiteFlux offered a limited R2 version of the LF2XT, who knows what they've got up their sleeve?
They're not gonna let anything out ahead of time and hurt sales, right?

Na. This isn't LF. This is me with a hotair gun. :nana:

bansuri

Enlightened
Na. This isn't LF. This is me with a hotair gun. :nana:
and a nice list of UI changes!
Adding direct access to all those functions is a massive upgrade. Just when you think it can't get any better it does.
Good night

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I think you'll love it, Bud. There's nothing better than having that easy switch with this light. And, you've got a 3 min. shut-off now, if you want it.

Yeck, I think either LiteFlux or EliteLED owes you one for the time you spent developing the flowcharts for the LF3XT. There definitely are more happy owners because of your work.

Geoff