verdict on new D-Mini VX?

pipspeak

Enlightened
I saw with interest that there's a new D-Mini out (the VX) and wondered what the verdict is in terms of the new UI and throw compared to the previous version (Q5 Digital).

I was a little disappointed to see that the lumen-rating for the VX on 1xCR123 (R2 version) was more or less the same as the old Q5 version, but I guess that's not too surprising. However, the design looks like it's changed, so hopefully it's for the better in terms of performance.

UpChUcK

Enlightened
I was a little disappointed to see that the lumen-rating for the VX on 1xCR123 (R2 version) was more or less the same as the old Q5 version, but I guess that's not too surprising. However, the design looks like it's changed, so hopefully it's for the better in terms of performance.

From Batery Junction:
"Initial output on 1 x RCR123a or 1 x 18650 is in excess of 270 lumens!"

Looks like rechargeable is the way to go. Nice output there. Still, 175 is still quite bright in my book. ;)

Matt Sutton

Newly Enlightened
I got my R2 version just prior to going on vacation and used it throughout the trip in the theme park at night for finding stuff in backpacks and signaling to members of our group. The low mode was excellent for general use. I got to play with it a bunch while walking back to the hotel in the dark at the end of the day. I was running AW RCR123 and all I can say is that it was crazy stupid bright when the batteries were fresh. I was easily throwing up to the top of our 14 story hotel from the street. My kids thought it was great that they could make giant shadow puppets on the side of our hotel. :D
I've been using my LF3XT for so long I'm spoiled by it's UI. My only gripe or wish for the VX is that it had low voltage warning/cutoff for the rechargeables like the Liteflux. It would also be nice to have the battery meter function like the Liteflux. The build quality and finish of the VX is top notch. I carried it around the park in my front pants pocket for 4 days very comfortably, so size wise it is very manageable. I have an AW 18650 on the way from AW so I'll hopefully be able to play with the extended body tube soon.
I am very impressed with the VX overall. I'd recommend it highly if you are looking for a pocket light that has some reach. When the newness wears off I will probably go back to using the LF3XT as EDC since it's a little easier to pocket, but the VX will come out whenever I need something to impress. ;)

skunked

Newly Enlightened
Got mine a couple of days ago. At first I was a little non-plussed as it was really dim, then figured out that I was on the low setting ( no instructions came in the box). I am using the 18650 cells. When I first used it I thought it didn't have much output them took it outside and well it does have some good throw and a decent circular spill outside the hotspot. doesn't seem quite as bright as my old Fenix P2D (?) but I think that is just a difference in optics as this thing definetly has a better throw and the reflector is about twice the size.. I like the 3 levels ( never had much use for the strobe or SOS modes). Can't speak of the battery life as I haven't used it that long. The size is quite nice, not an issue in jeans or BDUs. Initial impression is overall good.

zwerky

Newly Enlightened
i'm trying to decide if I should get this or another nitecore...but this time a smart pd ex 10 (r2). i currently have the ez123 and a nitecore extreme r2.
i guess i should switch it up and try a lumapower. :thinking:

i'll wait and see if anyone else has opinions on their d-mini vx.

Green Arrow

Newly Enlightened
Hi any other views on these? I am thinking of getting one , am after small size good throw and a bit of spill to see where I am walking

gunga

Flashaholic
Review in progress.

A few notes: The cell extender and Teleforce head are great accessories. You get more intense throw and a narrower, brighter spill with the Teleforce head (good for a thrower!) and much better battery life on 18650s.

Highly recommended if you're not trying to get the smallest package possible.

pipspeak

Enlightened
To me the biggest appeal of the D-Mini is the "mini" part -- a pint-sized CR123 thrower. Add an 18650 tube and bigger head and you've lost the "mini" part and are in the size league of other 18650 lights that are probably going to outperform the non-mini D-Mini.

gunga

Flashaholic
have anybody tried the D-Mini 18650 tube from 4sevens?Does it fit in the VX?

Nope, they changed to square threading on the new design so don't expect the old accessories to fit.

I know what you guys mean about the D-mini not being so mini any more after the extra parts. They do make for a nice versatile kit though!