Will a XP-G work well in an MG L-Mini II?

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
I have a MG L-Mini II and it is by far my favorite 18650 light out of the few that I own. I really like the compact size and simple brightness levels. My only negative about this light is the pretty intense Cree rings even with a textured reflector. I am thinking of changing the LED to an XP-G, but was wondering if I am going to see a significant brightness increase at the currents that the Mini is driven?

Also, does the XP-G create a smoother beam than the XR-E that is currently in the Mini? This will not be my first LED mod, but any advice before I start installing a XP-G? I have not researched this much, so be kind if there is something that I am missing and the XP-G will not work in the Mini for some obvious reason.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I'd hook that LED up to a power source and see if it plays well with that reflector first. I don't think it will but hopefully I am wrong.
:thumbsup: Happy modding.

dudu84

Enlightened
I modded my L-mini 2 5C-Q3 with xp-g R4 (cutter is out of R5 atm).

The xp-g works very well with xr-e optics; in fact, the reflectors look like they are designed for xp-g more than xr-e if smooth beams are what you yearn for :D.

However, you do lose throw (pretty obvious IMO). I swapped the LED to xp-g because I think the beam with OP reflector is too throwy, and the dark halo ring is too ugly.

On the turbo head, there is still a dark spot in the beam (not very pronounced, you gotta look for it but xr-e beam was worse anyway), however, there is a very smooth transition from the spot to spill with no visible ring, very beautiful! :naughty:
NOTE that in the photos below, the shutter speed and distances were not fixed because I tried to capture the beam shape along with the rings, not brightness.. Screwing/unscrewing the head will also allow you to adjust the beam focus.

SMO reflector in turbo head

The standard head (OP reflector) produces a wider hotspot (obviously) but there are more rings than SMO reflector (this was also the case with the xr-e for my L-Mini 2).

OP reflector in standard head

However, one thing I didn't understand was why my xp-g R4 still puts out less lumens than my Fenix Tk12, rated 225 lumens, in ceiling-bounce test captured with my camera :shrug:. My Raidfire spear xp-g R4 is brighter than TK12 if that matters. Runtime with a Black/red TF18650 on turbo is ~2h15' on max then auto-switched to Low.

The verdict:
I'd never go back to xr-e, at least not on L-mini 2. I look forwards to the release of NW xp-g.

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am seriously contemplating taking the XR-E Q3 5C out of my beloved L-Mini II and putting in an XP-G R4 5C1.

Before I buy the LED and find someone to do the mod, are there any other comments on how it will turn out?

Is the throw entirely gone, or just reduced?

This is to be a backup hiking light/around the house light, so throw isn't critical. Most of the time, I am just playing the beam 20 or so feet in front of me, unless there is a bump in the night.

I'm not sure how I feel about those rings with the standard OP reflector/head, which is what I have...

Last edited: