Lost my L2D Q5

Whomprat

Newly Enlightened
So in my move I lost favorite L2D premium. I'm sure someday it will turn up, but it seems like a great opportunity to waste some money. I've read through all the new posts and see a couple new lights out there. Is there anything that is really a marked improvement from the L2D? I took a look at the Quark AA2, but it doesn't look by the specs to be superior.

Thanks,

whomprat

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are in luck,
In the next day or two the new Quark titanium XP-G R5 bin 2AA lights will be hitting the review pages. If you don't want the wider beam that the light puts out, the Quark 2AA Turbo (larger head) will give you the narrower beam you are used to but with a 50% brighter spot. Those lights are on pre-order now and will ship on Monday.
I ordered one to compare against my L2D Q5 light for bicycle lighting use. Fenix should be coming out with their version of the LD20 with the XPG-R5 pretty soon also. It is a great time to lose your flashlight these days.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
4sevens rates his Quark lights with out the front lumen ratings(after optical losses). Fenix seems to use at the emitter ratings(before optical losses) for their non tactical lights.

There are many people who praise the Quark lights, I don't think you'll go wrong with one. You can also opt for the Fenix LD20, Olight T25, or Jetbeam Jet I EX.

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you liked your Fenix, you might want to try the Quark AA^2. My Fenix L2D was 2-1/2 years old with the P4 Cree. The upgrade was well worth it. I was expecting a noticeable increase in brightness, but the Quark is much brighter.

You may not notice the difference as much, but the Quark should be brighter.

headophile

Enlightened
you will notice a big difference in the beam profile the ld20 vs your old l2d. the ld20's hotspot is more intense, hence it has more throw and gives off the impression that it is much brighter.

if you want to upgrade but keep the ui, form factor and everything, i'd suggest the ld20.

Bort

Newly Enlightened
If you get the Quark AA2, you could also get the single AA tube, and have the option to run it on a 14500 cell. They are insanely bright with that configuration, and designed to be run that way.

dudu84

Enlightened
If you get the Quark AA2, you could also get the single AA tube, and have the option to run it on a 14500 cell. They are insanely bright with that configuration, and designed to be run that way.

Just make sure it doesn't overheat :); even the larger 2xAA body gets quite warm on max after extended period of time

Regarding OP, L2D is probably more suitable for bike riding due to its larger hotspot but otherwise, the moon mode on Quark is very useful and I like the clean beam from xp-e

Last edited:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF Whomprat.

To quickly answer your question... "I've read through all the new posts and see a couple new lights out there. Is there anything that is really a marked improvement from the L2D? " I don't think so, though I guess it depends on how you define marked.

The lights mentioned are better in some respects, but the L2D became a classic because it was well designed, and I don't think the new ones are that much better. The L2D really raised the bar for the AA flashlight world.

Another brand besides Quark that you may want to check out is EagleTac. They make a few 2xAA models that are also very good. The P10A2 is my favorite. It is the brightest 2xAA production light and has two modes, medium and high, chosen by selector ring so you'll know which level it starts on. No strobe or sos, which I prefer. It is not as versatile as the L2D because of its lack of low mode, but I have plenty of other lights for that.

ccryder

Newly Enlightened
For a few $'s more the Turbo Quark 2AA is a step up from the L2d Q5. I have 3-4 of the L2D Q5 and 2 of the L2D and use them all over the place. I have headed down the Turbo Quark 2AA road for more light and features.

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
tsk tsk, during ur move all of your flashlights should have been in your pocket like a good flashaholic =]

seriously, i hope it turns up soon.

i say go for the quark2AA, the clip and the knurling is a big plus for me, over the fenixes. i loved my fenixes, but know that i got a quark, im not turning back..

Last edited: