Insane Bike Light!

Krotchitty

Newly Enlightened
Holy FloodSpot Batman !!

That is impressive, can anyone discern a run time from the text?

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
google translate to the rescue!

http://translate.google.com/transla...holed/teholed.htm&sl=fi&tl=en&history_state0=

"180 meters away from the birch stand out clearly. Power LEDs in these pictures is only 0.9
amps, because the available AA-size cells would otherwise run out too quickly.
Now, on a single charge to drive about 1.5 hours and the light is still very adequate. Full
power, or 2 amps of power I use a lithium battery that is also lighter."

Patriot

Flashaholic
The output performance is great but bike lights are often subjected to horrendous environmental conditions and this one seems to be lacking even the most basic weather proofing. It looks like it's open to water, mud, and dust. Perhaps it's still a work in progress? :thinking:

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, he weather proofed the battery compartment and regulation circuitry, but the LEDs are still open to the elements. He should look into encasing them in plastic.

Still pretty cool, imo.

jankj

Enlightened
well, he weather proofed the battery compartment and regulation circuitry, but the LEDs are still open to the elements. He should look into encasing them in plastic.

Sure about that? Look at pic 8, which is a small plastic tube with a lens on the end. One of each plastic tube over each LED. (pics 7 and 9-10).

I'm not saying the construction is weatherproof, but it COULD be. Those tubes CAN have a waterproof seal in each end, which will make it pretty weatherproof.

ifor powell

Enlightened
It is not that spectacular for a home made bike light and rather large. Quite a lot of people have 4 * mce setups for example or big arrays xpes e.g. I have a 10 xpe at 600ma helmet light and a 4 mce bar. The 7 XPG board and opptic that Cutters are selling will make somthing very similar a lot easier to make. Check out some of the stuff in the bike subforum.

Zeroignite

Newly Enlightened
Maybe he doesn't ride in the rain and don't need it weatherproof.
Mud and dirt would still get kicked up into the assembly, though.

Even then, though, that light is spectacular. I've seen dimmer car headlamps! Kinda curious about the battery life, though- take a lot of power to keep that bad boy running for a while.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
* a homemade light that looks homemade is crap, no matter how bright it is.
* a bike light that is this protected from the elements is crap also

the whole build part is nice and done very good, but the description that poor guy had was several years old and (even at that time) bad.
It is easy: when You see a real heatsink, the descrition is outdated. Makes more problems than it solves, makes it difficult to protect the whole thing from the elements, fins are useless as they are not in the airflow, ...

... looking froward to his following 2nd version.
When he has seen the actual "standard way of building" by using simply the head of an existing host light.
THAT then will be very nice, I am sure.

Pekka

Newly Enlightened
The google translate is outright hideous; I used couple minutes to make it into a bit more "english" version for those interested . It's still rather horrible but at least it should be more or less in english now...
here you go
Oh, and I'm a native finnish speaker so I'll blame the rush for errors :p

Pekka

Newly Enlightened
Sure about that? Look at pic 8, which is a small plastic tube with a lens on the end. One of each plastic tube over each LED. (pics 7 and 9-10).

The text doesn't tell much (it's pretty much all translated) but I'd make a guess that the white plastic assembly with the lens is inheretly waterproof, and being glued on top of the led with polyurethane glue should be waterproof on the led's end as well.

Edit added:
... looking froward to his following 2nd version.
When he has seen the actual "standard way of building" by using simply the head of an existing host light.
THAT then will be very nice, I am sure.
I doubt it's going to happen.
From his homepage, bottom right corner (link on the end of page), translated loosely:

My old electronics

Due to my hobby with electronics I have built several gizmos ranging from flashing led to a cd-player. Now the pace has slowed down because of my other hobbies but my older instructions are still kept safe and devices in use.

2008: Regulated current driver for led
2008: 24-watt led-light

2007: Led-light without extra electronics

2003: Cd-player (tested in HIFI-magazine 2/06) -translator's note: the magazine is (was) really named as "HIFI"

2002: Earphone amp with S/PDIF-connector

2000: Earphone amp (Pdf)

Last edited:

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you ask me, I don't think it will last too long. I've seen a number of LED setups in the modders forum and I don't think I've ever seen a series/parallel wiring of led's like this:

juotokset.jpg