H1N1 Declared a National Emergency

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Last edited:

bstrickler

Enlightened
Forgive me for not following the H1N1 drama much, but what supposedly makes it any worse than the regular flu? I haven't had a flu shot in like 3 years, and haven't been sick in more than like 6 years (other than the usual 2-3 day cold's)

I have yet to see a big problem that the swine flu is causing. People die every year from the regular flu, along with other bacterial/viral infections, among other things. IMO, its just Darwinism in action.

~Brian

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I think it's best to read a bit about what is so extraordinary with it on the Flu.gov website--if for no other reason, this episode and the health care, regulatory, impact on schools, businesses, and all levels of government are involved, and will involve everyone to an increasing degree.

There have also been a number of threads here at CPF discussing it, but I don't believe there has been a disease of such pandemic proportions in the USA (at least in my lifetime) which prompted the President to declare a National State of Emergency.

One was declared during Hurricane Katrina, North Dakota flooding, and other hurricane scenarios, but not for a disease. I even think doing this is a relatively good idea in terms of what it seeks to address...but I don't think there is a roadmap on how to administer it...so I expect some unintended consequences also.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
?!

i thought the majority of the danger was over?

guess my bubble is still intact

Crenshaw

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
?!

i thought the majority of the danger was over?
Nope, round 2 is coming up.

We are getting new cases here every week.
I think they said on the news that there are 8 schools so far in the region with at least 10% of the students out sick.

I don't know if it was H1N1, but I came down with something earlier this year that knocked me flat for several days....I hadn't been that sick in a very long time.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like they want to quarantine us like a bunch of sheep. I'm sure they would like us to hand over our guns as well. Who will be first to give up his/her liberty for security?

Empath

Flashaholic
LightWalker, it's becoming clear that you've assumed that CPF will make an excellent place for political activism. It's not though.

Efforts to campaign for your political views will often result in advisements to take it to the Underground. The posts and activities may often meet with closures, deletions, warnings, or even more limiting actions.

Your contributions here have been removed.

Feel free to post your thoughts and opinions on CPF's Underground.

It's unfortunate that it's become necessary to keep posting this quote to you, and closing threads due to your insistence in continuing your campaign. We'll try a different tactic this time. Your privilege to post has been suspended for one month.

We'll try leaving this thread open, even though the others on the topic have required closure. Please attempt to limit controversial political conflict, or the topic will need to be taken to the Underground.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Its only the beginning..........................

+1

I think we'll see National Emergencies being declared more often and for bizarre reasons.

On this issue I'm still not understanding why at this stage anything has been declared. I can only suspect that they're expecting much worse, in which case what projections are they looking at and not sharing with the public.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
On this issue I'm still not understanding why at this stage anything has been declared. I can only suspect that they're expecting much worse, in which case what projections are they looking at and not sharing with the public.
My guess is that it's so local authorities have time to begin formal preparations just in case things get much worse. If we wait until H1N1 becomes a real emergency before declaring it as such, then nobody will have time to prepare. Also, declaring a national emergency might make the public take this more seriously. A national emergency might be the only way to get the masses to do common sense things like washing their hands after using the bathroom and before eating, as well as staying home if they're sick.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems that for a variety of reasons we live in an era of emergencies. I expect the threshold to continue to fall -- earthquakes, fires.....hangnails, oh my!

Now that a 'National Emergency' has been declared it will be interesting to see if everyone living in the White House ever gets the flu shots that have been officially recommended for the rest of the nation.

Last edited:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forgive me for not following the H1N1 drama much, but what supposedly makes it any worse than the regular flu? I haven't had a flu shot in like 3 years, and haven't been sick in more than like 6 years (other than the usual 2-3 day cold's)

I have yet to see a big problem that the swine flu is causing. People die every year from the regular flu, along with other bacterial/viral infections, among other things. IMO, its just Darwinism in action...
It's been a big deal for two distinct sets of reasons:
  • The numerous differences between N1H1 and our normal, seasonal flu.
  • The numerous similarities between N1H1 and the famous Spanish Flu which circled the globe ~90 years ago killing tens of millions.
This Thread hashes and rehashes most of the issues that have alarmed many for months. Well, except for the Zombie parts, anyway.

Max_Power

Enlightened
Did anyone follow the link in the original post?

Looks like the declaration allows hospitals to set up special triage and quarantine areas which normally would not be allowed under federal law. It's better to have this declaration in place before it is actually needed. Things will start happening fast if this becomes a real pandemic.

Politics aside, this declaration was a good idea.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick question, and mind you, I am not baiting, trolling, etc. I just want my question answered...

Why didn't the Pres. close the border when this thing first started, as he was advised to? We could then have kept out the majority of the cases, and kept this from becoming as big a problem as it is now.:candle:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Did anyone follow the link in the original post?

Looks like the declaration allows hospitals to set up special triage and quarantine areas which normally would not be allowed under federal law. It's better to have this declaration in place before it is actually needed. Things will start happening fast if this becomes a real pandemic.

Politics aside, this declaration was a good idea.

Thank you, and Empath for keeping this on the road of being an informational thread.

This declaration allows for streamlining of what are called 1135 waiver applications which apparently can now be granted much quicker. Think of this Declaration in terms of facilitating what is needed during Katrina & other hurricane national disasters, North Dakota & other floodings, if there is a major earthquake, etc. There will be plenty of people watching for overstretching or abuses, so I don't think we need to go there as a kneejerk reaction.

These specifics of what the Declaration facilitates are listed on that Flu.Gov link in my first post.

Examples of use of [1135] waivers:

• Hospitals request to set up an alternative screening location for patients away from the hospital's main campus (requiring waiver of the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act-EMTALA)

• Hospitals request to facilitate transfer of patients between ERs and inpatient wards between hospitals (requiring waiver of both EMTALA and HIPAA regulations)

• Critical Access Hospitals requesting waiver of 42 CFR 485.620, which requires a 25-bed limit and average patient stays less than 96 hours

• Skilled Nursing Facilities requesting a waiver of 42 CFR 483.5, which requires CMS approval prior to increasing the number of certified beds in a distinct part

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
We had to visit the Emergency room last week and my wife had very mild cough. They made her wear a mask the whole time she was there. That is a new rule they have in place at all the Methodist Hospitals.

I believe the declaration was put into place to protect the healthy. Setting up Triage locations outside Hospitals, Schools and etc. is a good idea in my opinion. I always worry that when my son has to visit the doctor that a child with the H1N1 will be there and give it to every child that is there. My son is Asthmatic and he is at a higher risk for complications with something like the H1N1 virus.

The bad part is that they do not get the results back the same day anymore if they suspect you have the H1N1. Most parents cannot take off 3-4 days of work while they wait for results and have to send their children back to school or daycare. This further compounds the problem because younger children are at more of a risk than older children or adults.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick question, and mind you, I am not baiting, trolling, etc. I just want my question answered...

Why didn't the Pres. close the border when this thing first started, as he was advised to? We could then have kept out the majority of the cases, and kept this from becoming as big a problem as it is now.:candle:
I'm afraid that the border is just a drop in the bucket when one considers that from any major city on Earth one may fly to any major city in the US (and the rest of the Western World) in less than 24 hours. (roughly)

In the early 20th century it took a full year for the Spanish Flu to circle the globe and burn itself out. Future pandemics will not behave anything like that as long as jets are making intercontinental flights to every corner of the Earth on a daily basis. It's as though every major city "borders" every other major city...on Earth.

Retinator

Enlightened
The potential for this flu is huge, but every year there is huge potential.

I'm not sure what numbers are floating around, but in this economy, it's very bad timing.

Loads of people can't afford time off work and the potential to spread is nasty.

Now if this thing becomes an annual thing that mutates every year......oh boy.

Give the people working on this some credit, they've had less than a year to prepare. Time will tell how fast we catch on.

But on the downside, there's so much conflicting information, which I think only reflects how little we know about this virus.

Hmm time to think about EDCing a UV light?

Cahl

Newly Enlightened
According to cdc.gov, 13 000 people got H1N1 during week 41. 53 deaths reported. Out of those 53, only 11 had no underlying conditions (that they know about).
But .. when watching FOX I get the impression that the mortality rate is about 80%

"Swine flu will KILL you! Don't get the vaccine it will KILL you! Obama hates w.."

<3 the media .. National Emergency? Oh I dunno ..

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
My hospital set-up an alternate ER area for people with flu-like symptoms a month ago.

I guess we jumped the gun and did it before we were allowed to. :tinfoil: