Google Android Phone and CPF

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Website Looks awesome on my My Touch Google Android phone. I have been a long time Windows Mobile user, all the way back to Windows CE, and the screen rendering of websites are the best on this phone. Way better than my previous WM6 phone, which I wore out the keyboard texting and emailing. I am hoping the touch screen lasts longer.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Android rocks as a Mobil OS. I was one of the orginal g1 users and I came from a windows environment and will not look back. I now have a mytouch and moto blur. Anyone planning on getting a droid from Verizon?

Coaster

Newly Enlightened
I picked up my Droid on Friday, it was only the 2nd one out the door where I picked it up.

I love it so far. The screen resolution is awesome, the mapping is sweet, and everything is snappy.

The only real down side is that the camera is a little rough. I think that better software for it could go a long way. Of course maybe the camera seems worse since the screen is so good.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hear the snapdragon processor really works great. I haven't tried it but would love to. Did you have a earlier version on a device Coaster? I would be interested in hearing some feed back on the deference between 1.6 and 2.0

Coaster

Newly Enlightened
No this is my first Android phone. Verizon is the only carrier in my area that has decent coverage so that I'm not driving through huge dead zones on my way to work.

I really wanted a G1, but I wouldn't have been able to use it very often :(

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I'm happy to hear that. The browser on MS based smart phones were always crappy. The iPhone browser has been the best I've seen so far on a handheld. CPF looks great on it. My co-worker got a droid, so I can compare and contrast tomorrow.

Daniel

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea I had a mogal 6800 from sprint and when the screen craped out they upgraded me to a touch pro2 and I can't stand it. I wouldn't mind going to a hero but I don't want to spend the money. Windows sucks in comparison. I love Google maps and the ability to scan barcodes for comparison shopping . Where is a really cool Ap if you haven't tryed it.

Last edited:

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using mine (Droid) right now, can't sleep so I'm trying out different things. Bought it last Friday, been waiting a long time because I made the mistake of trying windows mobile, talk about an OS that Can't, WM was worthless.

Greta

Flashaholic
Got my droid yesterday. Just trying to find my way around it still. I really do like it A LOT! ... And yes, CPF looks incredible! Damn, I did a great job with the colors here! LOL! :eek: ... I really do need to look into mobile skins though. The scrolling is a little bit annoying.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
So is it propietary to Verizon the same way iPhone is to AT&T? I wish we could choose both our carrier and choice of cell phone.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
So is it propietary to Verizon the same way iPhone is to AT&T? I wish we could choose both our carrier and choice of cell phone.

Nope. The Droid OS is going to be showing up on many phones. Even a variation of the OS for the lower-priced, budget-geared phones.
Being open-source saves a lot of cost and makes it possible. You can also burn a Live CD of the base operating system from google to check out on your PC.
http://code.google.com/p/live-android/downloads/list

Last edited:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
got my droid couple hours ago :twothumbs

still figuring stuff out :)

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Great link, Lit Up. Thanks. Edit: I read their ReadMe and they are still recommending ver 0.2, although I see 0.3 on downloads. Do you recommend one or the other?

One "App" I saw a friend using on their newer iPhone which seemed promising was speaking voice commands with apparently a pretty good recognition/accuracy level. Does Droid have that capability?

I see all the models are customized with the various carriers. We are using Verizon.

Last edited:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The manual is very helpful... and LOGICAL! Don't be ashamed to use it... ;)

We won't tell... promise... :grin2:

the manual is near worthless ;) its basically a fold out pamphlet showing the easy stuff, im trying to figure out how to easily get to street view without having to set a location, i would like to in theory just scroll the map and double tap the location but thats not working , i have to set locations...then even if i do that and wanted a street view a few blocks down i have to redo the location , yes i can scroll the arrow bit by bit but that would take a while :nana:

google will be my friend on this , not the manual :D

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been reading CPF from my G1 (HTC Dream), it's great. The Android OS has a bright future. And it's very simple to develop software for it (everything is for free and it's Java), so there will be a lot of apps soon.

Greta

Flashaholic
the manual is near worthless ...

REALLY?? Wow. The one that came with my phone is AWESOME! Honestly, I'd be seriously lost without a couple of the nifty little tips and "how-to's" that I found in it. Of course, I felt like a total idiot when I found out how to do what I wanted... but hey... I'm ok with that... ;)

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
the manual is near worthless ;) its basically a fold out pamphlet showing the easy stuff, im trying to figure out how to easily get to street view without having to set a location, i would like to in theory just scroll the map and double tap the location but thats not working , i have to set locations...then even if i do that and wanted a street view a few blocks down i have to redo the location , yes i can scroll the arrow bit by bit but that would take a while :nana:

google will be my friend on this , not the manual :D

Thats not a manual, its just a quick reference card.
I never use paper manuals anyway, those stay in the box for whomever I might sell something to someday, I download the online version so when I have a question I can just search for it.