Need help with ipod problem, please.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone else have a problem with blue/white horizontal stripes on their ipod display? Any ideas/tips to solve the problem (other than tossing it out)?

I have a 2nd generation nano, and had prior problems with frozen and white screens. Resetting easily solved those problems. But now, blue/white horizontal stripes wipe out the display. The music still plays, and after the unit has been off for awhile, the display comes back, but during use, the stripes will return.

I've tried resetting and restoring the unit a number of times, to no avail. I tried running the battery out, then recharging. No dice, no difference. Any tips or ideas? Is it fixable?

I've scoured the internet, and found others with the same/similar problem, but no viable solutions. Couldn't find a page/chart on the apple website that showed this problem. And I don't want to pay $29 for a one-time response (that might not actually solve the problem).

Any solutions, or even a point in the right direction to the best place on the internet for ipod problems? Thank you!

Last edited:

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
search for a replacement screen, its a low cost option before other measures are taken. How long have you had the ipod

uberkiller

Newly Enlightened
Hi there, It may seem like replacing the screen would be a no brainer, however if the display did the same thing before and later was fixed then it could be something else. I'd say it would be worth going through the ifixit.com troubleshooting guide for the 2nd gen ipod nano I have linked to below. Its possible that the logic board could be the culprit, and the way to test that is to plug it into a computer, and if it mounts into itunes then its the display, if not then its the logic board. Just follow the troubleshooting guide below. There's not many parts in it besides the battery, logicboard, and display.

It's usually worth it to change the battery while you have it all taken apart since its only $10-15 extra when you purchase the screen and your ipod will be functioning like new.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Wiki/iPod_Nano_2nd_Generation_Troubleshooting

Last edited:

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies. Will check into the possible solutions, and hopefully something will work. The Apple support website has a bunch of users with the same problem, but no Apple solution (that I could find). Thanks again! Any more ideas welcome.