4 legged flashaholic

fixitman

Newly Enlightened
Thought some of you guys would enjoy this.
My sister and I just moved in together. She has this dog...... who is a flashaholic! He is a Jack Russel Terrier, and he loves flashlights.
He chases the beam around if you wave it around the floor, and will bark at it if he cant get to it. Its totally funny, you can make him spin circles till he is dizzy!
He can recognize a flashlight, by sight and by the clicky sound. If I pick up a light, he will get all excited, and bark at me if I dont turn it on. If he is in the other room, and hears the click of it coming on, he will come running. He even understands the word flashlight. If I leave a light laying on the coffee table, he will sniff at it, and sometimes try to pick it up.
Wish I had some video of this, you guys would probably get a kick out of him.
I have a new best friend :party:

Now I need to find a light that takes 1 or 2 AAs, and has a very narrow beam, all spot no spill. Guess its time to do some research and buy another light.......

Anyone else have a non-human flashaholic friend?

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great post, glad to read that your sister's dog enjoys light-chasing. BTW is his name PHOTON???

My Springer doesn't really follow the lightbeam when we're out walking, but he does pay attention when I spot a critter... mainly skunks [the reason for my R2D2 M@G thrower] but an occasional raccoon or deer keep it interesting.

Will your buddy chase the beam outdoors?

Lumenz

Enlightened
Have you tried using a laser? Most animals I have had (dogs, cats, rats) will chase a laser. Even my turtle will go after the red dot.

ypsifly

Enlightened
Too funny.

My cat loves chasing beams. Especially a tight beam like something out of a TIR. My E1B often serves as a feline distraction device. Pick up his laser and he instantly starts looking at the walls. He knows the sound of the key fob jingling means "the red dot of dizziness" will soon appear.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thought some of you guys would enjoy this.
My sister and I just moved in together. She has this dog...... who is a flashaholic! He is a Jack Russel Terrier, and he loves flashlights.
He chases the beam around if you wave it around the floor, and will bark at it if he cant get to it. Its totally funny, you can make him spin circles till he is dizzy!
He can recognize a flashlight, by sight and by the clicky sound. If I pick up a light, he will get all excited, and bark at me if I dont turn it on. If he is in the other room, and hears the click of it coming on, he will come running. He even understands the word flashlight. If I leave a light laying on the coffee table, he will sniff at it, and sometimes try to pick it up.
Wish I had some video of this, you guys would probably get a kick out of him.
I have a new best friend :party:

Now I need to find a light that takes 1 or 2 AAs, and has a very narrow beam, all spot no spill. Guess its time to do some research and buy another light.......

Anyone else have a non-human flashaholic friend?

Try a 5mW red laser pointer, my deceased dalmatian (Named Loki) went nuts over it, even when it was turned off he would spend hours sniffing around the house lookin for the little red dot. We tried to cure him of it by squeezing some bread into a pellet and coating it with ketchup and laying it in a corner then guiding the laser dot onto the bread pellet. He ate it, we turned off the laser and thought that was it.

Big mistake.

He now associated the red dot with FOOD! took him about a week to get over it, we didnt use the laser on him anymore though. Boy was he dumb, lovable dog though, zero malice in him at all but dumb.

Green lasers dont work on dogs though (at least not on mine now but red ones still do, works on cats too)

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
one of my cats likes light too.
he will chase red or green laser beams (he goes nuts over the green) but also chases the bright spot in my ultrastinger beam, and imperfections (both dark and light spots) in a M@g beam.

he also knows the rattle of the lanyard on the green laser, and comes running when he hears it

On a related vein, I clip a cheap coin cell microlight to my cat's collar. It doesn't interfere with his vision (it hangs under his head, so the light isn't in his eyes); I can easily find him at night, and the light makes him more visible to others (a safety bonus in my view).

flasherByNight

Enlightened
On a related vein, I clip a cheap coin cell microlight to my cat's collar. It doesn't interfere with his vision (it hangs under his head, so the light isn't in his eyes); I can easily find him at night, and the light makes him more visible to others (a safety bonus in my view).

should try a reflective collar for a more permanent fix

Illum

Flashaholic
one of my cats likes light too.

Some cats gets too excited and will focus on the dot over the furniture, lawn ornament, or the pool in its path...I've once ran the neighbors cat into their jacuzzi tub before, I blame it on the tiles:whistle:

Dogs are more inconsistent, if you can keep their attention then maybe, if they have a squeaker toy handy, then maybe not.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
THAT is toooooooo cute!!

My dog has his own flashlight. It is an ASP Elite, in green. I clip it to his collar when we go for night walks.