New Quark Prism Kit

adnj

Enlightened
I'm not a headlamp guy but believe that I need to buy one soon for camping and whatnot. Any opinions on this new Quark Prism Kit?

zven

Enlightened
I'd love to see beamshots as well. And I'm very curious how this will interact with glasses when worn on the forehead.

It doesn't make for as compact or as streamlined of a headlamp as a ZebraLight, but I'm loving the concept of this Prism, and that it can turn your normal flashlight into a ZebraLight-style light in a pinch. Bravo to 4Sevens!

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it is cool, but I will pass.

I don't really have any need for it.

Great design though.

Keep it simple.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
:hitit:
Props to 4sevens. He's right it is totally simple and shocking no-one has done it before. Its so fantastically evolutionary you'd have to be a cpf'er to know its an innovative product.

PeaceOfMind

Enlightened
Agreed it's a very neat product. Can't say I have a use for one at the moment, but I'm sure at some point I'll end up wanting one for something.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
About time someone saw the potential of an asthma inhaler with some sort of light bender. I've tried, but miserably failed to get the mirror in :ohgeez:

scott

Enlightened
It doesn't come with the head strap--does it? If not, where would one obtain said strap?

Never mind...the strap IS included.

Last edited:

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
i like the idea.

i probably wont get it. i have a 2aa quark and that's too heavy so then i would have to buy a 1aa body and then the periscope thingy and next thing you know i'm at the same price of a zebralight.

so is this 47's headlamp or just an accessory?:thinking:

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ordered one and might order a second if I like it.

Will be a great work light with a Quark with an 18650 body:party:

Sverre

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good potential... I'll definitely be ordering one as soon as the neutral white XP-G quark heads become available. :ohgeez:

Okay well ,maybe I will end up getting one sooner... with the 18650 body next week. :ironic: I can try it out on the Ti 2xAA... but that won't make a very nice headlamp unfortunately. Maybe I'll be forced to pick up a Ti 1xAA body too then. Damn 4sevens! :broke:

If it ends up being wearable enough...and the prisim stays on well enough... this could trump most of what's available in the current headlamp market. The only thing missing is...
Neutral emitters.

uplite

Enlightened
Very cool accessory. I will probably have to buy one of these. :thumbsup:

Waiting for beamshots, and reports on the strength of the headband.

For me, the headband is as interesting as the prism head. It would be nice if the headband had a pair of down-angled loops, to use 1 or 2 Quarks as thrower headlamps (without the prism head).

As a dedicated headlamp, Zebralight kicks @ss in terms of weight (21g h501), smooth flood, and one-finger control. But this prism & headband make a lot of sense for Q123 or QAA owners who don't have a zebralight. Nice one.

-Jeff

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
That headband looks like my headband. Only I came up with it before they did.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
That headband looks like my headband. Only I came up with it before they did.

It's unsurprising that similar tools look similar - but the real business is in making it cheap to produce, adjustable to many noggin sizes, durable, and so on. I know you don't mean to claim ownership of the idea of stitching black elastic loops to a black elastic headband to hold lights - I suspect there's prior-er art going all the way back to carbide lights ;)

I don't know if you've posted about your headband in this forum. I suppose one of the good or creepy things we get from having flashlight manufacturers on this forum is that they might see a good idea, decide it can make money. Then comes the legwork to make it into a product, which involves changes to the product and how it's made. The idea of attaching things to the head is very old - I remember when I used a bent wire to attach a tiny 2AA Energizer light to my knit hat when I was 10. I could aim the light with only slight mussing of my hair, and I had a blast (until my alkalines got cold and died). Smart people come up with similar solutions to a problem, the real achievement is making that solution profitable.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's unsurprising that similar tools look similar - but the real business is in making it cheap to produce, adjustable to many noggin sizes, durable, and so on. I know you don't mean to claim ownership of the idea of stitching black elastic loops to a black elastic headband to hold lights - I suspect there's prior-er art going all the way back to carbide lights ;)

I don't know if you've posted about your headband in this forum. I suppose one of the good or creepy things we get from having flashlight manufacturers on this forum is that they might see a good idea, decide it can make money. Then comes the legwork to make it into a product, which involves changes to the product and how it's made. The idea of attaching things to the head is very old - I remember when I used a bent wire to attach a tiny 2AA Energizer light to my knit hat when I was 10. I could aim the light with only slight mussing of my hair, and I had a blast (until my alkalines got cold and died). Smart people come up with similar solutions to a problem, the real achievement is making that solution profitable.

No one can claim ownership of the original headband design anymore than ownership of the original automobile design. However, the original design of anything can be improved upon, and therefore variations of the original design exist. That is why Honda makes Honda cars and Ford makes Ford cars. Neither have ownership of the original automobile design, but they sure have ownership of their car designs.

You have it the other way around. The real achievement comes from the people who come up with ingenious solutions. Any idiot with some money can produce and sell a product. Did Einstein make any money from his theory of relativity? Did he even care about making money from it? Was his achievement real?

Just to be clear, I don't claim anything. It's gratifying that I came up with mine a while back. That's all.

Last edited:

beautifully-stupid

Newly Enlightened
You have it the other way around. The real achievement comes from the people who come up with ingenious solutions. Any idiot with some money can produce and sell a product. Did Einstein make any money from his theory of relativity? Did he even care about making money from it? Was his achievement real?

Just to be clear, I don't claim anything. It's gratifying that I came up with mine a while back. That's all.
While we're on this subject... another member put some feelers out about two years ago for a similar prism kit... . Fast-forward to today and we see that both fenix and 4sevens are producing angle light "headlamps"

although he didn't pioneer the idea... I believe some credit is due. At the very least... a freebie.

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
My foot is in my mouth - My apologies for clumsy assumptions. And excellent search-fu to find the prism thread from so long ago!

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
While we're on this subject... another member put some feelers out about two years ago for a similar prism kit... . Fast-forward to today and we see that both fenix and 4sevens are producing angle light "headlamps"

although he didn't pioneer the idea... I believe some credit is due. At the very least... a freebie.

Thanks for posting the link. I wonder what happened to him. He seemed to just drop out of sight. The thing is sometimes different people might come up with the same solution independently. Take this prism thing as an example. If you want to turn a regular flashlight into a 90 degree angle light, what are your options? Not many. Bending the light is about the only thing you can do. In this case, the problem itself presents the solution. I just don't know if this idea was copied or developed independently. However, it would be nice if the people who use other people's ideas would at least acknowledge where they got the idea from. That's what I try to do even if it is something as simple as a diffuser for my aaa light. If I read about an idea from another person and try it, I make sure that person gets the credit for that idea.

I think you should post the link at the market forum so people know that this prism thing is not new, and that a CPF member came up with his version some years ago.

Last edited:

uplite

Enlightened
It'd be great if the flashlight loops were attached to the headstrap by industrial-strength velcro patches. Then the loops could be adjusted to any angle, or swapped for different size loops (eg Quark 123 vs Quark AA vs Preon AAA).

Would also be nice if the headstrap had velcro patches to attach an extra over-the-head strap for more stability, e.g. if you mount lights on both sides.

I dunno if anyone else has "invented" this kind of strap, and I don't care if anyone gives me any credit. It's just an idea. :D

-Jeff