Luxeon domes...can someone explain the difference?

zmoz

Enlightened
Can someone please explain the difference in the different luxeon dome choices for me? The only one I know is SE... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Luxeon domes...can someone explain the differe

HD = high dome = whiter hotspot = furthest throw
LD = low dome = more side spill
SE = side emitter = reasonable throw and side spill

placement of the LS in relation to the reflector/optics can aid/restrict the light output. buy a few and have a play /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
For information on high domes vs. low domes, check the Arc Flashlight FAQ.

About three quarters of the page down, you will find the "High Dome vs Low Dome" section which has useful information and some more links on the subject.

Hope this helps,
Pat

zmoz

Enlightened
Thanks...what about "lambertian" and "batwing"? Also is there a way to tell with the numbers on the back of an LS what it is? I'm not sure if the one I have is HD or LD.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

lambertian = high dome (looks like a semi spherical clear dome, ie rounded)
batwing = low dome (as per above but it is cut off roughly half way down from the top of the sphere, the top of the lens is "flatter")

H

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast

SE does not have any "throw". It must be mated to a reflector.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's interesting... I have seen a 5W HD compared with a 5W SE in a Mag reflector. The HD had a definate advantage in throw when focused tightly. However the SE was not very far behind in terms of throw!! It does also have a wider side spill.

Darell: Sure, by definition, the SE's light is concentrated at the sides. Also the optics on it are designed that way... but when used with a reflector, the light from the side can be focused forwards?

FC, yes, mated to reflector, it is very useful. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened

One thing about the high dome is that the hotspot is characteristically square and you can usually see the filament?? wires in the beam.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

depending on how it's colminated.

also, i don't belive anyone has mentioned that the hd uses a different phosper-applying process than the ld, which makes it whiter and brighter. it's part of the reason you get a square beam.
does anyone know if this new process is used on the se's? one batch of se's i got was so insanely white...makes me think so.
for that matter...why isn't it used on the lowdomes?

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

The SEs are usually pretty white, but they aren't as intense as the HDs. Even if they had the EOS phosphor application, they would then lose some lux to the funky triangle atop of their dome. The one thing the SE does have over the HD from the few mag-based 5W LSs I have, is that the SE, at perfect focus, produces a perfect, even, circular corona beam, while the HD has "moon crescent" patterns in its hotspot (best way I can describe the swipes of light right at the hotspot)...

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

yes, se's aren't as effecient in directing their beam in the way their name implies as the hd is in spreding it's beam, but due to the fact that the ones (very few i'll admit...) i've seen were freakishly white. i would attribuite this to the new coating technique.