• Yes, I would like a 170 Lumes XP-G M60

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • No, there is no need of a "ack of all trade, Master of none" M60

Votes: 20 62.5%

• Total voters

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi guys...

right now I am sure Gene is setting up his XP-G variants of the M60 module...

But how much light is enough?
How about a M60 running on a Medium output? (that would be 170 Lumens OTF) with an XR-G at 700mA?

That would increase runtime and drop temps too..,

Last edited:

txgp17

Enlightened
Isn't that basically what the M60L is rated at??
Exactly.
Gene has been producing lower-output modules for a long time now, maybe 2 years or more.

I have a M60LL and it rocks. 8+ hours of 80 lumens from a 6P/G2/Z2/C2/M2 is awesome.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if the M60L or M60LL modules are fully regulated with a single lithium ion cell?

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if the M60L or M60LL modules are fully regulated with a single lithium ion cell?

No they are not, but since they are lower power modules they will run for a longer time off of one. You could get the M60L and run it off of a 18650 for a very long time and its power would be somewhere above the LL for most of that.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Long-time CPF'er Mdocod suggests that the M60L can/could be in regulation on the largest LiIon cells due to minimal voltage drop, and if that is the case (or even if it's borderline) that would probably mean that the M60LL would run in regulation on the largest LiIons.

Note, this isn't my opinion, Mdocod posted that info on his M60L earlier this year, this is a configuration that he uses and has experience with.

Last edited:

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't that basically what the M60L is rated at??
More like 500mA.
I hope to one day replace my M60W with a M60WL that has the same output, less heat, and double the runtime-and the M60WLF with a WLLF:thumbsup:

What I'd really like to see is a circuit that also has a 10-20mA low mode and a UI like the SF E2L, low then high. Probably not best for the regular Malkoffs that might serve as "tactical" lights, but maybe for the flood versions(pretty please?).
I know there's a resistor ring for Malkoff hosts, but that doesn't work with the E-series and VME bezels.
Won't be holding my breath on that one, but I'd sure buy a couple...

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Long-time CPF'er Mdocod suggests that the M60L can/could be in regulation on the largest LiIon cells due to minimal voltage drop, and if that is the case (or even if it's borderline) that would probably mean that the M60LL would run in regulation on the largest LiIons.

Note, this isn't my opinion, Mdocod posted that info on his M60L earlier this year, this is a configuration that he uses and has experience with.

That makes sense. I have noticed that many lights that aren't regulated on 1 18650 at full output are fully regulated at lower output (usually around 60-80 lumens. According to Light-reviews, the Eagletac T20C2 (and some other lights) do not have flat regulation on high, but do on medium/low.

txgp17

Enlightened
I've tried a M60 in a 6P with a single 17670. It appeared just as bright as one running off two 123A's. And it stayed that way for about an hour.

I think a Leef/fivemega body with a single 18650 and a M60WL would make even the most picky flashlight person happy.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Using bounce with light meter I am getting a lux reading of 6.5 with the 60LL with one 17670, 8.5 with 2 CR123's and 10 with two RCR123's. Looking at Big Waffles M60LL runtimes, he was getting perfect flat runtime with two CR123's, and two RCR123's, though higher output with the RCR123's. Looks like the 17670 is not allowing regulation. mA draw with two RCR123's is 140mA's, 150mA's with two CR123's, and 150mA's with the one 17670. I have not tried it with an 18650 yet.

Bill

zven

Enlightened
Although I voted "No" in the poll (I don't see any reason for there to be a new module in addition to the current variants of the M60), I could conceivably support a switch from XR-E to XP-G emitters in the M60's. I assume Gene would only make this change out of a desire to improve performance in one way or another, and I certainly wouldn't want such a switch to occur if it meant reduced throw or drastically increased price, etc.

That said, if a switch to XP-G could mean a less ringy beam (and particularly a doughnut-free hotspot!), then I would very much welcome the change. Then again, I'm not sure there are appropriate optics out there for XP-G's yet...

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although I voted "No" in the poll (I don't see any reason for there to be a new module in addition to the current variants of the M60), I could conceivably support a switch from XR-E to XP-G emitters in the M60's. I assume Gene would only make this change out of a desire to improve performance in one way or another, and I certainly wouldn't want such a switch to occur if it meant reduced throw or drastically increased price, etc.

What you are saying is what I belive...Gene will make it ONLY if it is right....happened with his MC_E droppins...I asked about a narow beam optic and he replied that he tried it, did not like the results, so he did not procceed...

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Using bounce with light meter I am getting a lux reading of 6.5 with the 60LL with one 17670, 8.5 with 2 CR123's and 10 with two RCR123's. Looking at Big Waffles M60LL runtimes, he was getting perfect flat runtime with two CR123's, and two RCR123's, though higher output with the RCR123's. Looks like the 17670 is not allowing regulation. mA draw with two RCR123's is 140mA's, 150mA's with two CR123's, and 150mA's with the one 17670. I have not tried it with an 18650 yet.
Bill, that is excellent data, both the lux info as well as the mA draw on various voltages. :thumbsup: This info belongs in gsnorm's definitive M60/M30 thread. I did find the info from BW that the M60LL on 2xLiIon / 3xCR123 has essentially the same output as the M60L on 2xCR123 to be very interesting as well.

Edit: This is even more interesting, thinking about it some more. Seeing this constant-current regulation for the M60LL begins to make more sense, the M60LL has always behaved somewhat unusually IMO - remember that GreyShark got adequate performance from the M60LL on 2xAA, much better than the M60 on the same cells? I wonder if the M60L behaves like your M60LL, or more like a constant 140 lumens across various voltages, similar to M60 behavior (otherwise the M60 would overdrive itself @ 7.4v, and I doubt Malkoff would set it up this way). It does sound like the M60 is driven somewhat differently. :shrug:

Malkoff website, M60L:
The input voltage is 3.8 - 9 volts. Below 3.8 volts it will drop out of regulation and run direct drive. The output is 140+/- lumens. The current draw is approximately 350ma at 6 volts.
So the way I understand what Malkoff is writing here is that the M60L will draw more ma as the voltage drops, maintaining ~140 lm until the cell can't deliver 3.8v, which a single large LiIon under load may or may not be able to do. This is most definitely different than your (BB's) M60LL data, which is drawing the same ~150 ma no matter what the voltage is. This perfectly explains BW's odd data with the M60LL on 2xLiIon (7.4v).

M60L:
  • 2.1 watts drain (350ma @ 6v benchtop power supply - I am assuming from how I am reading the Malkoff text on his site)
  • 2.1 watts @ 3.8 volts would require ~550 ma for the same (regulated) output
  • Looking at the Silverfox data for an 18650 for a 0.5 amp load, the voltage of the cell should be at or above 3.8v for 1-2 hours, at least this is the best estimate I can come up with looking at what data there is.
So the fact that large-capacity 18650's suffer such minimal voltage drops at 0.5 amp drain rates should permit the M60L to be fully regulated in this situation.

However, I am making a number of assumptions here, the biggest one is that I am assuming that I am modeling the regulation circuit in the M60L correctly. We've already seen that the M30 behaves somewhat strangely with regards to its output within its voltage range (per Justin Case).

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Kestrel, I just tried 2 AA NiMh's and am hardly getting any light, and no reading on my mA scale. Did try two 18500's, unprotected, and same mA's, 140. I am wondering if Gene has made some changes in the circuit over the past two years or so. My M60LL is hand etched. This is still a very effecient module. More efficient than my E2L 2008 model, which pulls 260mA's on high, from two Cr123 cells for about same output as M6LL with two CR123's. Also more effecient than my P60L, which pulls 370mA's with two CR123's, which is also about same output as M60LL. Interesting circuit.

Bill

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Kestrel, I just tried 2 AA NiMh's and am hardly getting any light, and no reading on my mA scale. Did try two 18500's, unprotected, and same mA's, 140. I am wondering if Gene has made some changes in the circuit over the past two years or so. My M60LL is hand etched. This is still a very effecient module. More efficient than my E2L 2008 model, which pulls 260mA's on high, from two Cr123 cells for about same output as M6LL with two CR123's. Also more effecient than my P60L, which pulls 370mA's with two CR123's, which is also about same output as M60LL.
OK, we'll figure this out. I have a hand-etched M60LL (wife's car) that I know for a fact was made in the first week of September 2008. I can test it on 2xAA in my C3 next weekend. We also need to get an estimate for when GreyShark's M60LL was made, since his M60LL was very usable on 2xAA, unlike your M60LL.
Interesting circuit.
+1, that's for darn sure. :shrug: The standard M60 seems to behave rather predictably but this M60LL keeps throwing me for loops...

Bill, can you bump GreyShark's thread citing your M60LL behavior (obviously different than the behavior of his M60LL) and ask him when his M60LL is from?
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/231139

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
My Eneloops were at 1.3 volts when I did check. I will charge them up to full power before I post info in Grey Shark's thread.

Bill

Will, I forgot I had them on charger, so they are ready for me to test.

Bill

Eneloops 2X 1.48 volts. Hard to get mA reading, but about 70mA's. Bounce with light meter starting 2.65 lux, and down to 2.40 in four minutes, and still dropping. 2.26 in 6 minutes, etc. Approximate output at starting 25 lumens, or so. That is usuable light but will not last very long.

Bil

Ok, I did some reading in Grey Shark's thread and he was using Alkaline AA's, so I started using them. Costco AA's 1.60 volts X2. Draw 160mA's. Starting 5.43 lux, 4.5 in 5 minutes, and 3.40 in 22 minutes. 3.03 in 30 minutes. Drop off is slowing down.

Last edited:

Max_Power

Enlightened
I find that my main use of a compact light like the single RCR123 VME is to read something less than a meter away, find something on the floor after dropping it, or see where my feet are so I don't trip. A medium bright, floody beam is perfect for this. Neutral tint / good color rendition is also helpful. Low current draw would stretch runtime on the meager 750mAh power source, as well as reducing thermal management issues.

For all these reasons, a ~150-lumen, warm white, floody, XPG d26 drop-in would be a big win. I'd buy at least one. Maybe have a 2-mode high/low capability in the driver module so a standard twisty or clickie switch could be used for changing modes.

Max_Power