Book Light for eReader

mwaldron

Enlightened
Alas, PalmOS is dead. Long live WebOS..which is a poor substitute in so many ways, but I digress.

I've been reading eBooks for over a decade with PalmOS devices, the best being a HandEra 330 (jog-dial and A+ gray scale screen with real back light) and now it's time to move on.

After looking at everything that's out there, I've decided I really like the upcoming Barnes & Noble Nook, but I noticed a huge fatal flaw. It's page isn't backlit. I don't know about you, but I do most of my reading in the dark so being able to actually see the print is important.

Since only Sony has attempted to fix this issue (and they did a horrible job of it) it looks like I'm reduced to technology my grandmother used 60+ years ago. A light bulb hanging off of her books.

How have others tackled this problem with eReaders? I don't imagine much more than a white 5mm LED and a diffuser is necessary but I shudder to purchase a discount chip=clip LED from a bookstore.

Straight up a head-lamp is out, so with that in mind I ask the question of how others have solved this, what works well and what doesn't?

I by far prefer warm tints, but I'm willing to mod if possible if that's the only problem with a presented solution.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've used a variety of lights for reading books in bed. No experience with eReaders. I'm not sure of the effect of screen reflection. My favorite book lights are my Photon ReX and the LF2XT LiteFlux. Both can be dialed down in brightness for that perfect level.

Geoff

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight H501 tasklight/headlamp
IMG_3720.jpg

IMG_3963.jpg

clintb

Enlightened
After looking at everything that's out there, I've decided I really like the upcoming Barnes & Noble Nook, but I noticed a huge fatal flaw. It's page isn't backlit. I don't know about you, but I do most of my reading in the dark so being able to actually see the print is important.

Since only Sony has attempted to fix this issue (and they did a horrible job of it) it looks like I'm reduced to technology my grandmother used 60+ years ago. A light bulb hanging off of her books.
Now that the Sony PRS-700 is discontinued, I'm pretty sure there are no eReader devices with a backlight, at least ones that are eInk powered. That being said, a Zebralight would be your best friend since it has zero hotspot. Maybe make some kind of blinders for it to narrow the very wide flood beam so you don't disturb the person next to you, if you're married/engaged/etc...

eeagle7

Newly Enlightened
Many Kindle users find the Mighty Bright XtraFlex2 Clip-On Light useful. One of the reviewers even posted an informative video.

Link

juplin

Enlightened
My EBook Reader that utilizes same e-paper technology as B&N,Amazon and Sony
01-Ebook_Reader_S.jpg

My mobile reading light setup with LF2XT Titanium aspheric lens version and mini tripod
02-Reading_light_S.jpg

Illumination by LF2XTi lens version alone without other lighting source
03-Reading_S.jpg

As can be seen from the photo, aspheric lens outputs uniform full_moon_like beam pattern which is quite suitable for reading EBook or paper book.

Close-up of the EBook reader
04-Close_Up_S.jpg

Further zoom-in
05-Close_Up_More_S.jpg

LF2XT Titanium aspheric lens version
06-LF2XTi_Lens_S.jpg

Althought other aspheric lens flashlights are also applicable, AAA flashlights such as LF2XTi lens version are more convenient to carry in travelling ot to read on the bed.

mknewman

Newly Enlightened
I've also been a user of eReader and Palm Press for about 15 years (back to my Palm III), but went to Windows Mobile about 10 years ago. I've been very happy with it as a reader platform. Benefits are single handed operation, nicely backlit screen, color, and unlimited memory (currently a 32g CF card).

Might I suggest you look at a Netbook or Tablet PC as an alternative? Many come with LED backlit screens, even solid state disks, and for around the same money as your Nook would do a whole lot more. eReader runs on many platforms including PocketPC, Smartphone, PC, iPhone, etc, and the software is free.

Oh, one reason I don't plan to change any time soon is Barnes and Noble now OWNES eReader and I figure they will roll the two together eventually. I doubt they will abandon long time users.

Marc

juplin

Enlightened
Now that the Sony PRS-700 is discontinued, I'm pretty sure there are no eReader devices with a backlight, at least ones that are eInk powered.
I think the discontinuation of backlight model is reasonable, since e-paper technologies simulate traditional paper book that only reflects ambient light without emitting direct light to the eyes from the backlight.

mwaldron

Enlightened
Many Kindle users find the Mighty Bright XtraFlex2 Clip-On Light useful. One of the reviewers even posted an informative video.Link

This is along the lines of what I'm looking for, it looks like a nice diffuse beam. Thanks.

...My mobile reading light setup with LF2XT Titanium aspheric lens version and mini tripod...

I love overkill! Not quite portable enough for me though a nice idea.

I've also been a user of eReader and Palm Press for about 15 years (back to my Palm III), but went to Windows Mobile about 10 years ago. I've been very happy with it as a reader platform. Benefits are single handed operation, nicely backlit screen, color, and unlimited memory (currently a 32g CF card).

Many of the exact reasons I loved the HandEra 330 so much.

Might I suggest you look at a Netbook or Tablet PC as an alternative? Many come with LED backlit screens, even solid state disks, and for around the same money as your Nook would do a whole lot more. eReader runs on many platforms including PocketPC, Smartphone, PC, iPhone, etc, and the software is free.

Too large, too much extra, too bad battery life. I have a netbook, love it, it's about my most used machine but it would be an absolutely horrible eReader. It would be fine when sitting at a desk, but I spent my entire life sitting in front of a desk staring at a monitor, I want something to use while reclining in an ez-chair and (primarily) laying horizontally in bed.

Oh, one reason I don't plan to change any time soon is Barnes and Noble now OWNES eReader and I figure they will roll the two together eventually. I doubt they will abandon long time users.

Marc

Good to know, I had missed that. I have stuff in my account from back when it was Peanut Press although I haven't checked on it in ages.

Lots of great info, thanks Marc.

I think the discontinuation of backlight model is reasonable, since e-paper technologies simulate traditional paper book that only reflects ambient light without emitting direct light to the eyes from the backlight.

Amen it needed to go. eInk cannot be backlit, and the frontlit 700 was abysmal. I'm hoping that they find a technology to be able to eventually illuminate eInk, but we don't have it yet.

mknewman

Newly Enlightened
Not sure if these readers have a USB port but if so there are small LED lamps with flexable necks that plug in to the USB port.

Personally I think this lack of backlight is a huge drawback on this type reader, and the reason I'm planning to buy a new 4.3" screen phone once it comes out (HTC HD2, T-Mobile, supposed to be available early next year).

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't know attaching a light to a tripod in order to read is is more convenient than attaching it to your shirt. This is definitely a new one for me.

Last edited:

juplin

Enlightened
Not sure if these Personally I think this lack of backlight is a huge drawback on this type reader, and the reason I'm planning to buy a new 4.3" screen phone once it comes out (HTC HD2, T-Mobile, supposed to be available early next year).
By definition, e-paper technologies including e-Ink® will completely simulate the appearance, high definition and high contrast of traditional paper books, and thus will only reflect ambient light but will not emit direct light.

Direct light from backlight will make eyes uncomfortable if reading continues for hours. That's why e-paper based readers are so hot recently.

Last edited:

juplin

Enlightened
I didn't know attaching a light to a tripod in order to read is is more convenient than attaching it to your shirt. This is definitely a new one for me.
Mounting lens flashlight on tripod is only one of several alternatives, and most importantly, is easier to take pictures to show the effect of lens flashlight. :laughing:

I usually hold and operate the eReader with one hand and hold lens flashlight with another hand.
Mounting the flashlight on the head band is another alternative but not so comfortable.

Attaching flashlight to shirt can only be done by L-shaped lights such as Zebralight, but might interfere with the companions during travelling or while reading in bed.

Last edited:

dracodoc

Newly Enlightened
The Mighty Bright XtraFlex have lots of positive reviews, but I think you will need some place to clip it on your reader or its case, which is not always a good option.
Zebralight have good beam, even you don't want wear a headband, you can clip it to anywhere.
Or you can choose some angled light, or use a Quark Prism kit.
I used to use a costco water bottle cap on my D20 to read my Sony 505 in night. It works well, but lost so much light that I need to use a higher brightness. Now I bought a H501, so it will be much better.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mounting lens flashlight on tripod is only one of several alternatives, and most importantly, is easier to take pictures to show the effect of lens flashlight. :laughing:

I usually hold and operate the eReader with one hand and hold lens flashlight with another hand.
Mounting the flashlight on the head band is another alternative but not so comfortable.

Attaching flashlight to shirt can only be done by L-shaped lights such as Zebralight, but might interfere with the companions during travelling or while reading in bed.

Don't forget to pack your tripod all the times because what you would do you without it.

juplin

Enlightened
Don't forget to pack your tripod all the times because what you would do you without it.
Nope, tripod mounting will be strictly limited to indoor use.
During travelling, the flashlight will be held by hand, or will be carried by neck
Neck_Catrry_S.jpg

Or will be mounted to the clip with universal joint, with which the flashlight can be clipped to the shirt
Clip_S.jpg

Or will be mounted to the clip with magnet
Clip_with_Magnet_S.jpg