If you would be an Flashlight-God, how would your Dream Flashlight look like

McGandolf

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Everyone has a Flashlight who he likes most, but there are may be others which have some features you would like on your favorite one

If you had the ability to mix the Gene's of your favourites Flashlights to a Super-Flashlight ... how would it look like.

I would mix them from:
  • Nitecore D10
  • Novatac 120 E
  • RA Clicky Executive
  • Liteflux LF5 XT
  • Lummi Raw NS
  • Jetbeam I Pro Ver 2.0
  • und hmmpf…
    cwm52.gif
    Led Lenser P7

And my Gene-Mix-Dream-Flashlight-Monster would have the following:
  • Knurling: Novatac 120E : best grip of all, even better than the D10.
  • Form: D10 : plain noble. no need to squiggle a flashlight. due to the excellent grip no need for a recessed grip.
  • Button: D10 : sturdy Piston-Drive. Clickies tend to be the weakest part of a flashlight .
  • Screw Thread/Windng: Lummi Raw NS: excellent - non creaky. I suppose due to the material Nickel-Silver. Didnt manage to get the smooth way to twist it with alu.
  • Robustness: RA Clicky: I suppose even a tank would be able to roll over it.
  • Waterresistant: RA Clicky: 66 Feet. I would rather go for 100 feet to allow diving but 66 feet good enough for outdoor usage.
  • Customizing: Liteflux LF5 XT: Plenty of features: change number of modes, brightness for each mode, frequence for flashing, beacon .. and and and
  • Programming: Liteflux LF5 XT: After some initials probs i am now a master of the liteflux system.:duh2: Its incredible how many commands you can pass to the flashlight with just one single button.
  • Flexiblity: Obviously the Liteflux LF5 XT.
  • User-Interface: Again the Liteflux LF5 XT: Double-Click for next mode and Shortcuts: Click-Press=max, Double-Click-Press=Strobe. The only thing i miss is direct accessing a mode (eg 3-Clicks= Mode 3).
  • Click detection: RA Clicky: The click-detections on the liteflux is to long (0,4 sec). Its much better on the RA with (0,3 sec). Its just 0,1 sec difference but it feels much better.
  • Beam Tint: From all my flashlights the Lummi Raw NS Natural has the best tint. Natural white tending to yellow
  • Min Light: RA Clicky: 0,3 Lumen pre-set but you can goes down to 0,07 Lumen. Only switching off is darker :huh:
  • Max Light: Jetbeam I Pro. The brightest one i have on a single AA. As usual ... the brighter the better
    cwm41.gif
  • Auto-Off: Novatac 120E: Swiches off after a few minutes. Every flashlight should have this as an option.
  • Save-Batterie: Novatac 120E: Reduces output if runs out battery. This way you are not in the dark from one second to the next.
  • Beam The best Beam has my Olight T25.
  • Cell-Voltage Indicator: Liteflux LF5XT: Great Idea to flash the voltage of your cell.
  • Focus: Led Lenser P7: ok, not a great flashlight, but to be able to give it a bit more spot .. or spill would be great. Indoors for example i dont need spot at all.
  • crenelated bezel: Like on my Olight M30: on head and tail. But for casual wear it would be good to be able to remove them.
Common:
  • Cells: AA Batterien and ability to work with a wide voltage range, eg to use 14500er
  • Extension tube for extending run-time.
Things i miss on all my flashlights:
  • Direct access to certain mode from off: 3-clicks = Mode 3
  • Withstanding Sea Water. Rain is fine but salt water is much tougher in the long run.
  • Ability to set lower and upper output on a beacon flash. Great for biking if you want to use your flashlight as a rear light. I want to have the light pulsating instead of on/off/on ...
getting crazy :
cwm52.gif

• flashing the remaining runtime at the current brightness level (1 flash every 10 minutes, 4 flash= still have 40 minutes)
  • Teaser Mode. The flashlight has already a cell, elektronic and sturdy tube. Its not intended for going to war, but it would be fine to get rid of a aggresive dog.
ok. ok.
wink.gif
not realistic.

One cant optimize robustness an flexibility at the same time.

How would you mix your dream flashlight out of your favorite ones?

Regards

McGandolf

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
My dream flashlight is a Surefire E1B in natural HA (just like L1), with some divine LED inside that delivers 200 lumens in high mode for over 2 hours, with flat regulation!

:devil:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
pulling out his SF-M2...and thinking "Hmmm what would I change about this"

-Surefire L5 with thicker sidewalls and re-designed for 1x18650 (not merely a milled C2/M2 body)

-Three mode KL5 head with an MC-E in warm tint, designed to maximize thermal cooling.

-Half press mode selection with with the following current levels Hi=2.5A, Med=1.25A, Low=.2A. Strobe can be activated and deactivated via quickly tapping the switch while in the Hi mode only (kind of like the H501).

-No parasitic drain while off.

-Drop into low for 5-10 minutes when cell voltage reaches 3.3V, and then turns off to protect the cell.

-TIR optic for a beam pattern like the Malkoff M30

-GITD tailcap switch boot that actually glows (TONS of GITD powder mixed into the silicone)

-Tripple O-rings and dive rated for 10ATM.

-Flat, regulated output from 3-8.4V

Last edited:

Jason_Tx

Newly Enlightened
Re: If you would be an Flashlight-God, how would your Dream Flashlight look like

hmmm... how about this

100% CRI Anyone?

the-sun.jpg

Newly Enlightened
I would like A stock mag-85 with a smooth aluminum reflector yet beautiful beam pattern, UCL lens, soft-start, regulated output, running off of four D-Cell rechargeable lion batteries, and excellent bulb life.

I would also like a Surefire G2 Nitrolon with a stock beam profile, 200 lumen incan drop in with a run time of two hours at full output.

McGandolf

Newly Enlightened
:anyone:
-No parasitic drain while off.

You are right. This is an absolut must.

I forgot this - because .... it should be the standard. :scowl:

But unfortunately many flashlights drain silently their cell. Makes them impossible to store for backup eg. in your car. :(.

btw: A bit OT, but does anyone know if there is a list of flashlights with this bad behaviour and the amount of drain they consume ? :anyone:

McGandolf

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would make them BIG and BULKY so it would be easy to spot the non-believers!

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
A cross between a Mag 2C and a Surefire L6 Porcupine
without the Klingon bezel :D

Illum

Flashaholic
although the major weenie himself is a bit far from a god, his innovative designs have more than once came very close to creating "dream-lights":grin2:

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
although the major weenie himself is a bit far from a god, his innovative designs have more than once came very close to creating "dream-lights":grin2:

Agreed, although Gods have been known to sport speedos...?:laughing:

-Mayo

zven

Enlightened
I suppose my dream light would allow me to choose between superb throw and superb flood, would be about the size and UI of the SF L1, and would have a 15ish lumen low and 200-300 lumen high. Perhaps even some sort of bezel ring selector or something to allow for an additional moonlight mode.

And heck, if I'm a flashlight god in this, it might as well be fusion-powered, right? And have a deep-carry pocket clip?

carrot

Flashaholic
I actually own my dream flashlight. I feel sorry for all of you who haven't found yours yet. :) ask anyone who knows me, I have been carrying the same light for three years.

Last edited:

sunfire

Newly Enlightened
-Same SFG2 look and operation
-HA natural
-1AA battery
-50~100 lumens
-"Florida sunshine" tint :duh2: :huh: :) :thumbsup: :twothumbs

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would look like a McGizmo Ti PD-S... the best looking light that I have ever laid my eyes on.