Flickering Fenix

DuncanHynes

Newly Enlightened
I use a Fenix L2D Q5 EVERYDAY and it's been dropped a few times. In turbo mode has developed a nasty FiCkeR:mecry:. Ideas as to why? All contacts are clean, fresh 2700mAh cells, everything is tight...dropped too hard?

MikeV

Newly Enlightened
Mine has the same problem, if I tighten the head to just where it goes into tubro mode then it works fine but if the head is any tighter then that it will start flickering real bad and going into some sort of a "moonmode".

What I think happened is the "grounding ring" on the outside of the board was damaged during one of the many times I've droped it. I am betting that it is just a broken solder joint and that it would be a easy fix I took it apart but I'm still on the fence about sending it back 4Sevens since its a old Rebel series......

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it do the same thing with primary's regular AA battery's? I would also check the tailcap switch retaining ring, reach in the two holes in tailcap with some tweezers or needle nose pliers and see if its lose.

DuncanHynes

Newly Enlightened
I don't use regular AA's...what holes in the tailcap? The divets on each side of the spring? And strobe does work.

DuncanHynes

Newly Enlightened
Interesting, after just touching the tail cap spring the flicker has all but disapeared, but if I gave a good slap to the light's rear end it did flicker once. Still going to get an EagleTac P20A2 :D This L2D has been through hell with me though. Does anyone know where EagleTac is actually made? Is it Chinra like all the other lights I see on here? I know they claim to be based out of AZ. Thanks for the ideas on my Fenix

flasherByNight

Enlightened
if it's like the quarks you just need to tinker with the innards of the tailcap (ie tighten them down) *sister has my l2d, otherwise I'd check

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the other modes work ok?
Does strobe work?

See a problem with looking for flickering in strobe? :crackup: You gave me a giggle :)

if it's like the quarks you just need to tinker with the innards of the tailcap (ie tighten them down) *sister has my l2d, otherwise I'd check

I was going to suggest making sure everything was tight. My fiances PD30 tends to do this if the tailcap isn't really tight.

However when he said he's taken it apart I assumed he would have known if things were loose.

Just contact the dealer you bought it from. It seems to be defective.

Egsise

Banned
See a problem with looking for flickering in strobe? :crackup: You gave me a giggle :)
Strobe is constant flashes, flickering is random and you should be able to see the difference. :crackup:

Does the turbo mode flicker if you remove the tailcap and use a jumper wire?

jrg64

Newly Enlightened
I just received a new fenix pd30 and mine did the same thing in turbo mode. I made sure everything was snug and that did not help. What did work was cleaning the contacts on the headcap where the battery makes contact with the LED. Mine seemed to have some oil on it, i cleaned that off with a damp cloth and now it works like it should. Hope this works for you.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get some flickering hear and there with my L0D, mostly after a clean&lube, which is always solved by a clena&lube... So I figure the problem is just me get'n sloppy on the lube once in a while...