solarforce L2p ---I'm impressed!

chef4850

Enlightened
I recieved the solarforce l2p today. This is the first host that I have purchased. I have looked at the SF and the two are (or at least look identicle). Well I am pretty impressed with the finish of the light. Very well made and at a fraction of the price. Really like the matte finish over the gloss black. looks and feels like a light worth twice as much $. I also ordered with SS bezel and the fit is better than any light ----just perfect. I do not have beam shots or any way to do them. Just my 2 cents for what it is worth. just very happy with the purchase and I hope everyone else that gets this light is as impressed as I am.

Chef

hoffmand

Newly Enlightened
Received mine on Friday also. Got mine from Jake25 with a 3 mode drop-in. Machining on mine is great, head and switch have very smooth threads and came well lubed. I love the look of the HAIII anodizing, much better than the glossy anodizing of the regular L2.

The only thing that confuses me is that the switch is fully shrouded but still can't tailstand because the rubber boot sticks out by a hair. Don't know if this is just a fluke or if a different boot would fix it. Either way, it's a great light.

chas9rr

Newly Enlightened
I really like mine too. My only problem (the search for the "perfect" light continues) is the tail switch. Would you, jake25, see if Solarforce would hard anodise some of the protruding tail caps for thoes of us that prefer that. It would make a great choice for us. If i could get them that way, I guarantee I would be ordering at least 2 or 3 more!
Thanks
Charles

Cleric

Newly Enlightened
Is the tailcap similar to the SolarForce L2 or is it a little bit recessed? Also does it have momentary on and is it forward clicky?

hoffmand

Newly Enlightened
Is the tailcap similar to the SolarForce L2 or is it a little bit recessed? Also does it have momentary on and is it forward clicky?

It is not this exposed L2-S1 tailcap if that's what you mean. http://www.sbflashlights.com/Solarf...ories/Solarforce-L2-S1-Stock-Tailcap-p18.html

The L2P switch is recessed almost completely into the tailcap. In theory it should allow tailstanding, however it can't due to the issue mentioned above.

It's a reverse clicky so no momentary on. If you get a multi-mode drop-in a reverse clicky is the way to go though.

Great light and you can lego your way to whatever configuration you want.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if the L2P reverse clickie can can handle 2.0A+ of current without melting? I destroyed my L2 tailcap running an EO-9 lamp and IMR16340s in my L2.

joshconsulting

Enlightened
Does anyone know if the L2P reverse clickie can can handle 2.0A+ of current without melting? I destroyed my L2 tailcap running an EO-9 lamp and IMR16340s in my L2.

It had no problem with 2.5A from my SST-50, and handled 5.7A from an IMR on DD for 2 minutes until it melted, so it should probably be fine for 3-3.5A.

Also, for the record, mine had no problem tailstanding.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
5.7A!!!:devil:

I just hope the new L2P tailcaps have lower resistance than the L2's. The L2 tailcap has pretty high resistance compared to a surefire Z59/Z48. The EO-9 lamp appeared dimmer and the IMR16340s heated up more whenever I was using the L2 tailcap.

LV426

Enlightened
Is it possible to "dissect" the tailcap and (without soldering) replace the reverse switch to a forward?

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes (no soldering required), but why bother when S3, S4 and S5 are already in the Solarforce product line?:naughty:
The S3, S4 and S5's are not as visually pleasing as the tailcap on the L2P and their finish is also a bit different.

That would be reason enough for me to mod the L2P tailcap.

Last edited:

LV426

Enlightened
Well, I ordered some fwd switches after I posted here - hope they fit! :)

(Now I just have to wait for the light...)

bogeymachine

Newly Enlightened
The S3, S4 and S5's are not as visually pleasing as the tailcap on the L2P and their finish is also a bit different.

That would be reason enough for me to mod the L2P tailcap.

point taken on the esthetics of S3/4/5; to each his own

finish is matte black, not gloss - it color matches the HA finish on my L2P (S3-4-5 are not HA)

sidebar: When the subject of Solarforce comes up, Black Rose and OLD4570 know their stuff...pay attention!

bogey out

Last edited:

Markm87

Newly Enlightened
I recieved the solarforce l2p today. This is the first host that I have purchased.

Same here! I've had mine for a few days now. I added the L2-S4 tail cap to mine, and I'm glad I did... even though that part isnt type 3 anodized.

The tail cap on the L2p is ok, but I'm going to try this light on my AR-15 in a Vltor offset mount. And the L2-S4 is a PERFECT tail cap for this application.

The button is recessed, there's no twisting of the tail cap like the G2 it is replacing, and the momentary AND on/off clicky of the tail cap make it EXACTLY what I was looking for.

Last edited:

tuelleric

Enlightened
Well, I wonder why SF does not use a HA III finish for the switch, but a different than the shiny coating.

The L2P is also my first flashlight body and I think it is a good quality for the 30$ I paid. But what I just discovered shows that there is obviously still a difference to other manufacturers. I don't know, whether you can see it on my crappy pictures, there is a buckling in the bezel.

3717587.jpg

3717588.jpg

Anyone else noticed that, too?
Till