Trustfire 16340's.. Whats the diff between the 3 versions on DX?

bstrickler

Enlightened
I'm going to be getting some more 16340's soon (need to see if anyone will buy some unprotected 17670's and 18650's from me), and I was wondering what the difference is between these 3 versions of Trustfire batteries:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8683
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19627
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.24980

Yeah, yeah, I know, I should go with AW batteries, but it's kinda hard to on a very limited budget, when I can get 4 TR16340's for the price it'd cost me to get 1 AW 16340, and your light only runs for 1 hour on 1 pair of RCR123's.

I've heard of the rumor that the 18650 protected batteries with the same label/wrapper as SKU.24980 are closer to their rating, and are more consistent than the blue/grey 18650's (protected & unprotected). Is this the case with the 16340's, as well?

~Brian

jdb

Newly Enlightened
it's the same, imho... that's "DX touch"...:D

I try these Trustfire 15350 880mAh 3,6V gray, and AW RCR123 770mAh 3,7V (black)... there is no difference, I have the same runtime...

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
1st two are the same ...

3rd one can deliver more current , but then your not meant to push CR123A that hard ..

Id buy the RED/BLACK Trustfires .. In fact I have .

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
i haven't tried black Trustfire 16340 but i have black Trustfire 18650 they performs really good better than the older blue trustfire. I also have gray trustfires 16340, i am not sure about its quality but after 1 years it still working.

Tohuwabohu

Newly Enlightened
The protected red/black Trustfire 16340's are very long - too long for nearly all of my flashlights.
1634017670.jpg

1634017670.jpg

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a pair of sku 19627 that I use with a 7.4V incan drop-in, pushing them almost to their maximum capability.

It's hard on them, but they are still working OK.

bstrickler

Enlightened
The protected red/black Trustfire 16340's are very long - too long for nearly all of my flashlights.
1634017670.jpg

Do you have any comparison pics to SureFire 123 primaries, or grey Trustfires?

My grey trustfires are maybe 1-2mm longer than 2 SF 123's.

Forgot to add that the batteries end up having a current draw of 500-600 ma in the light they're in.

~Brian

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
P6130107C.jpg

DX fauxton, AW 17670, sku 19627, AW 16340, SF123A

EDIT: In Tohuwabohu's picture, the Pansonic primary cells would be the same size as the SF123A primary cells.

Last edited:

bstrickler

Enlightened
Thank you, Black Rose

Just by basic comparison, it looks like the red & black ones should work fine, as well. Just wanted to make sure they were pretty much equally the same. The fact the red & black can handle more current is better in my book, and is worth the extra $0.50/battery

Thank you, everyone, for your input.

Anyone know how consistent the batteries are? I don't want to have to order 10 batteries, just to have to mix & match them to combine them, according to estimated capacity. I have 4 grey ones, and 2 of them are equal in capacity (drain at same rate throughout discharging), and the other 2 aren't the same (after about 35-40 minutes, 1 is 3.3v, while the other is 3.2, and when the light is about to die, 1 is at 3.0 volts, and the other is at 2.76-2.8v). The nice thing about the last 2, though, is that they top off @ 4.12 volts, while the others top off at 4.19 volts, which is a bit odd, to me. I would expect the ones @ 4.12v to be more consistent with eachother, but then again, they may be from a different batch from the consistent ones.

~Brian

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, yeah, I know, I should go with AW batteries, but it's kinda hard to on a very limited budget, when I can get 4 TR16340's for the price it'd cost me to get 1 AW 16340, and your light only runs for 1 hour on 1 pair of RCR123's.

I don't want to have to order 10 batteries, just to have to mix & match them to combine them, according to estimated capacity. I have 4 grey ones, and 2 of them are equal in capacity (drain at same rate throughout discharging), and the other 2 aren't the same (after about 35-40 minutes, 1 is 3.3v, while the other is 3.2, and when the light is about to die, 1 is at 3.0 volts, and the other is at 2.76-2.8v). The nice thing about the last 2, though, is that they top off @ 4.12 volts, while the others top off at 4.19 volts, which is a bit odd, to me. I would expect the ones @ 4.12v to be more consistent with eachother, but then again, they may be from a different batch from the consistent ones.

This is an accurate description of the dilemma faced when debating whether to buy "good" cells, or the more seemingly economical cells, bstrickler. :) You have to weigh in all the factors and time spent figuring out the best way to make the economy cells work, as opposed to just buying higher quality cells and being done with it.

You seem to have figured it out, although maybe you don't realize it. I'll admit, I still buy both. It's pretty clear which ideally, is the best way to go, but under certain circumstances the "You work as much as they do" cells have their place, I guess. I will say one thing, when I travel, or am on a mission from God or something, I don't usually take the xFire (et al) cells. The better quality cells are more dependable, have better consistency from cell to cell, usually exhibit higher capacity/longer lifespan, fit in all my lights, and are just less of a hassle.

At any rate, I am sympathetic to your endeavor. :)

Dave

bstrickler

Enlightened
This is an accurate description of the dilemma faced when debating whether to buy "good" cells, or the more seemingly economical cells, bstrickler. :) You have to weigh in all the factors and time spent figuring out the best way to make the economy cells work, as opposed to just buying higher quality cells and being done with it.

You seem to have figured it out, although maybe you don't realize it. I'll admit, I still buy both. It's pretty clear which ideally, is the best way to go, but under certain circumstances the "You work as much as they do" cells have their place, I guess. I will say one thing, when I travel, or am on a mission from God or something, I don't usually take the xFire (et al) cells. The better quality cells are more dependable, have better consistency from cell to cell, usually exhibit higher capacity/longer lifespan, fit in all my lights, and are just less of a hassle.

At any rate, I am sympathetic to your endeavor. :)

Dave

I think I'm just going to buy the Trustfire ones for now, since I am on a limited budget, and they'll get me more runtime for my $ (at least short term, they will). I carry 2 pairs Surefire CR123's with me, as my backup batteries, should the RCR's crap out for no reason, or if I'm out in the dark (unplanned) for more than 2 hours (Should get up to 3 hours battery life from each pair, instead of 1-hour from the RCR's). Once I get the money, though, I'm definitely going with the AW cells (maybe ask for those as my b-day/xmas present, :laughing:), along with a 17670 drop-in to let me use my 50+ 17670's.

This is going to be my 3rd expensive addiction :ohgeez: (First is chainmaille jewelry, then film.). Hopefully I can find a job that'll pay for them soon (thank goodness for living rent-free with parents until I finish college, and have a stable job).

~Brian

Last edited:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make sure what ever battery you chose will fit the light you want . The sizes on the CR123A's do vary considerably .

And the red and black trustfires are one of the longest ones around .

amigafan2003

Enlightened
I hve six grey 16340 trustfires and they are too long to fit in my Fenix TA30 - can't even get the tailcap on :mecry:. Here's hoping they fit my Quark 1232 Turbo :thinking: