When will we see high quality XP-G based P60 drop-ins?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen a few of them but they all seem to be just the cheap chinese drop ins that have had the emitter swapped. I'm hoping to find some drop-ins with top notch drivers. I would love to find a multimode one that can put out about 300 lumens OTF. I would also love to find one with more throw than some of the ones I've seen. I wonder if Gene Malkoff is listening? LOL. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:

outersquare

Enlightened
Re: When we see high quality XP-G based P60 drop-ins?

there is a thrunite dropin in the marketplace, but it is expensive ($35) for just another chinese dropin..

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast

So far, it appears that whatever works well for the Seoul P4 also works well for the XP-G. So I would say that until some dedicated XP-G reflector shows up, use something that is known to work well for the Seoul P4. I might try an XP-G swap in my old Blackhawk Gladius if I can ever get it open.

The following aren't P60 drop-ins, but CPF reports suggest that they work well with the XP-G: stock smooth C/D Mag reflector, SureFire KT1, SureFire KT4, SureFire TRTH, and SureFire SRTH. They all definitely work well with the Seoul P4. DaFab reports the following reflectors work well: McR10, McR12, McR18S, McR20S, McR27S, McR27XR, & McR38.

If you can fit an optic in a P60 drop-in, an XP-E optic should work ok for an XP-G. I'm using a triple Carclo #10507 optic for a triple XP-G R5 in a Moddoo heat sink. His ready-built triples might be the highest output P60 drop-ins around. I'd estimate over 1000 emitter lumens. As the drop-in heats up, the output drops. If the junction temp is about 80C, we might reduce the output by about 15% to 850 lumens. The optic has about an 11% loss, so drop the output again to about 760 lumens.

There is also a thread in the LED forum on XP-G reflector experiences that might help.

Last edited:

KAP

Newly Enlightened

my XP-G R4 from Nailbender is pretty high quality - it required some spring modding to get it to fit right, but the emitter is centered perfect and it has ZERO rings. it was designed more for spill than throw, but i would say its putting out close to 300 lm. runs on 2x cr123, 3 mode (l,m,h) in my G2 and is perfect for hiking/camping.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm checking Lighthound every now and then to see if one pops up. I'm hoping that Solar Force will come out with one soon, as I've been very happy with their single-mode R2 drop in that I have in my G2

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

So far, it appears that whatever works well for the Seoul P4 also works well for the XP-G. So I would say that until some dedicated XP-G reflector shows up, use something that is known to work well for the Seoul P4. I might try an XP-G swap in my old Blackhawk Gladius if I can ever get it open.

The following aren't P60 drop-ins, but CPF reports suggest that they work well with the XP-G: stock smooth C/D Mag reflector, SureFire KT1, SureFire KT4, SureFire TRTH, and SureFire SRTH. They all definitely work well with the Seoul P4. DaFab reports the following reflectors work well: McR10, McR12, McR18S, McR20S, McR27S, McR27XR, & McR38.

If you can fit an optic in a P60 drop-in, an XP-E optic should work ok for an XP-G. I'm using a triple Carclo #10507 optic for a triple XP-G R5 in a Moddoo heat sink. His ready-built triples might be the highest output P60 drop-ins around. I'd estimate over 1000 emitter lumens. As the drop-in heats up, the output drops. If the junction temp is about 80C, we might reduce the output by about 15% to 850 lumens. The optic has about an 11% loss, so drop the output again to about 760 lumens.

There is also a thread in the LED forum on XP-G reflector experiences that might help.

+

Post of the day!!

great info.:thumbsup:

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast

Would the nailbender dropin not be considered high quality? I'm planning on putting one in a duty light in the coming weeks and was hoping to see his name mentioned quite a bit.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast

Would the nailbender dropin not be considered high quality? I'm planning on putting one in a duty light in the coming weeks and was hoping to see his name mentioned quite a bit.
I'm happy with mine - R4, 3.7-6V, Lo/Med/Hi. The quality is excellent.

KAP

Newly Enlightened

high quality: yes
would i trust it for day-to-day duty carry: probably not, it just 'feels' delicate

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast

there is a thrunite dropin in the marketplace, but it is expensive ($35) for just another chinese dropin..
So a chinese drop-in for $35 is expensive since its just another Chinese drop in?
Given you've only managed to mention the thrunite, how is it just another Chinese drop in?

Is common sense not supposed to prevail when it comes to racism?:whistle:

gallonoffuel

Enlightened

So a chinese drop-in for $35 is expensive since its just another Chinese drop in?
Given you've only managed to mention the thrunite, how is it just another Chinese drop in?

Don't get your panties in a bunch. It's not racism, it's reality. It really does look like 'just another' chinese dropin. The only chinese dropin I've ever had that appeared to be well made was a Wolf Eyes. Even the dereelights at $30 look and feel like crap, not any better than the $10 DX products. The reviews showing images of this one do not give me the confidence that this is anything special in terms of quality. In fact the machining of the pill looks terrible compared to a $10 DX dropin.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast

high quality: yes
would i trust it for day-to-day duty carry: probably not, it just 'feels' delicate

I'm a hard evidence kind of guy, not into feelings. Specifically what are the weaknesses that suggest delicate construction?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

I hope Malkoff comes out with a multimode version...that would ROCK.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, from the photos of the drop-in, it looks like a typical Chinese drop-in. Those sell for $10 or less at DX or KD. The major difference with the Thrunite product seems to be the XP-G vs the more usual XR-E. I doubt that the price differential for an XP-G R5 vs an XR-E Q5 or R2 is $25.

If I look at the various beam shots on CPF (e.g., here and here), as well as the Thrunite drop-in's construction in the second link, I don't see anything special. In fact, it looks to me as if the Lumens Factory D26 drop-in outperforms the Thrunite drop-in -- brighter hot spot and brighter spill.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes gallonoffuel, i can see racism is reality.
I don't know about others, but i can't see how anyone can determine from the photos whether a drop-in's machining/etc is good or not.

Nitethru (CHINA):
thrunite-p60.jpg

Nailbender (US of A):
XPEmodule-1.jpg

Nailbender (US of A):
XPGC1.jpg

Nitethru (CHINA):
IMG_0326_processed.JPG

I don't know about others, but if anyone can see just another Chinese drop-in, i can certain see just another US of A drop-in and i can also certainly see just another racist comment.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hows it racist? Its not like its a state secret that the Chinese made drop-ins are usually (but not always) of a cheapo quality. That said, not all US made stuff is top notch either. Its just a reality. I think you are going a little too far with the racism claim. We better stop with that argument and stick on topic before the thread gets locked....

Moonshadow

Enlightened

Wow - that would certainly breathe a new lease of life into the Gladius ! 295 lumens out the front would be something special, although I wonder if you'd be able to keep the beam as tight ?

There was a thread a while back about getting the Gladius head open - I think you have to boil it in a bag or something. Tekno_Cowboy I think does Gladius upgrades so might be able to advise you.

I really hope it's possible - please report back if you do manage to swap it successfully : I'd be interested to have a go myself. Woo-hoo!