Mag incan 2 mode questions

RaVeN38571

Newly Enlightened
I have a Mag 2D with the 5 cell Magnum-star and 6AA. I want to know if there is a way I could make it a two mode with a hi and low. I've seen the AW 3-mode switch, but its way out of my price range. Is there something cheaper I can buy or make. Thanks

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have the skills and tools to do a little work to the switch you could get a 2 stage clickie and add a resistor to one side. It looks like this it has one peg for current in and 2 pegs for current out. One would be wired with no resistor so the full current would pass through, and the other you would add the resistor and when you click the switch again current passes through the other peg and your resistor lowering the current giving you your low mode. I have not used one of these in a maglite before but since you are only using the 6 cell mag bulb it should work. Saberwolf is the one who turned me on to this idea, and I think he was using it in a P7 mod passing around 3 amp current on the high side.

RaVeN38571

Newly Enlightened
How do I figure out what resistor I would need?

Last edited:

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I would do is this. Since your bulb is made to run on 5 cells, I would remove 2 of your 6 cells and replace them with dummies or a jumper wire, and see if the light produced is close to what you want for low. If not remove another, but this would probly be a very low low. In either case decide approximately what voltage you need to be at for your low setting. If you have a digital multi meter I would also take an amp reading at the desired voltage. Then input your specs into a calculator like this Pack voltage 7.2 then desired voltage 5.8-4.4 ish maybe? Then what the amp reading was at or near desired voltage. This should give a rough idea of what you need.

RaVeN38571

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the ideas and links. I should have all the information I need to put this together.:thumbsup: