maglight led's on sale rebel 2d or 3d? or mini?

chasing_the_night_away

Newly Enlightened
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=203300

this thread about the mag led's being on sale at Lowe's during Black Friday makes me wonder if I should get one (or a few) for a utility flashlight. I searched and I can't really figure out much about the 2D vs. 3D with the rebel emitters used in the new models, and how they compare to the mini led's.

I don't know if the sale lights will be rebels (you have to know how to tell the difference), but I can hope that they will be.

ab1ht

Newly Enlightened
Are all the parts swapable with the incan 2D, 4D, etc.?

I was thinking of getting a drop in LED, but may just get the whole light.

Thanks for the heads-up! :)

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the old Luxeon MagLED versions, the 3D model was noticeably brighter than the 2D. Upchuck's link suggests that this difference is smaller with the new Rebel versions.

Regardless, I have the Rebel MagLED 2D and its output stomps either of the Luxeon versions. And I like having to use only two cells rather than three.

tnforever

Newly Enlightened
OK, silly question then: Why is there a spare incan bulb in the tailcap of the LED lights?

The Luxeon ones were a simple swap out module, and had a spare bulb in the tail cap, the LED itself is contained in a "can" that looks just like a normal bulb, and the light itself is identical to normal incan Maglites, so you can swap between incan and LED.

The newer, Rebel ones are redesigned, not simply a module with an LED on it, and thus don't have the holder base, or a spare bulb anymore.

kwalker

Newly Enlightened
According to a shopping forum, the LED 2AA will be $10.97 and the 2 or 3D will be $14.97 on black Friday at Lowes. I hope the 2AA is the updated led version.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=203300

this thread about the mag led's being on sale at Lowe's during Black Friday makes me wonder if I should get one (or a few) for a utility flashlight. I searched and I can't really figure out much about the 2D vs. 3D with the rebel emitters used in the new models, and how they compare to the mini led's.

I don't know if the sale lights will be rebels (you have to know how to tell the difference), but I can hope that they will be.

My brother has a 3D rebel. I honestly don't see what all the hype is about these. They have a very pronounced dark doughnut hole in the center when the bezel is rotated to anything other than a tight spot.

Just a little heads up:p

pipspeak

Enlightened
My brother has a 3D rebel. I honestly don't see what all the hype is about these. They have a very pronounced dark doughnut hole in the center when the bezel is rotated to anything other than a tight spot.

They ain't perfect, but for $15 try finding another light that's built like a tank, throws that well, runs on "consumer" batteries, and can be used to hammer in nails. That's the appeal of Mags.

JamisonM

Enlightened

Besides what pipspeak said, yeah, maglites have two modes IMHO, focused and useless.

tnforever

Newly Enlightened
To be fair, you can also use it as a floodlight and a candle. I find it pretty useful as an indoor floodlight... though mine's a Lux3

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened

stipple the beam even slightly and they become very useful focusers. a little clear spray paint on the reflector should do it.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
They ain't perfect, but for $15 try finding another light that's built like a tank, throws that well, runs on "consumer" batteries, and can be used to hammer in nails. That's the appeal of Mags.

Provided whether they have or have not yet addressed the switch/contact issue in the newer Rebel versions. If not, there's really no deal to speak of at any price point.

pipspeak

Enlightened
Provided whether they have or have not yet addressed the switch/contact issue in the newer Rebel versions. If not, there's really no deal to speak of at any price point.

Gah... I've not heard about that. Dodgy switch would make them kinda useless.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
The rebal mags use different internals then the Maglite incans, so you won't be able to swap them

But they are the same internals as the 4-mode minimag, so you can swap them.

Dropping the 3D's module in a 4-mode makes for the start of a very sweet 14670 EDC light, and dropping the 4-mode's guts into the 3D's switch assembly and putting the whole thing in a 2D makes for a good "hurricane light". (Reassembling the leftover bits leaves you with a 3D incan, ready for e.g. a 3x26700 Mag85 build.)

If 14670s aren't to your liking, you could do a direct swap between the 4-mode mini and a 2D, but the 2-cell modules are less efficient and lower output. I think you can adapt the 3D module to work in a 3xAA mini wzith one piece out of a 2xAA 4-mode, but I'm not 100% certain -- it's been a while since I figured this stuff out.

Last edited: