fenix ld01 with xp-e r2

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
cool. Seems like the R2's are getting to be pretty common place.

I'd trade my MINT SS LD01 for an alum version of this one.

Dan

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quote: the Fenix Light website

35hjjt2.jpg

:)

Moonshadow

Enlightened
OK, well spotted - so it's there in the Fenix image, but not yet updated in the text on the linked 4Sevens page.

Still a step behind the Preon I guess - be interesting to compare the beams though.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, 9 hours on the low setting? I wouldn't be so sure.

Is that a new clip? I never used the one on my SS but from memory it seemed different to this one.

tnforever

Newly Enlightened
OK, well spotted - so it's there in the Fenix image, but not yet updated in the text on the linked 4Sevens page.

Still a step behind the Preon I guess - be interesting to compare the beams though.

It's also changed in the serial number (whatever it's called) in the 4sevens page.

Personally, I like the iTP A3's level spacing a lot better, and it's smaller, not to mention 90%+ Fenix's build quality for half price

A step up to an R2 from a Q5 is a marginal improvement at best. Personally, unless you really needed the extra 5 minutes of runtime (the brightness difference is really unintelligible), there's no point stepping up anything less than a whole letter grade (P4>Q5>R5 etc)

Moonshadow

Enlightened
A step up to an R2 from a Q5 is a marginal improvement at best.
Agree - that by itself would be barely noticeable.

More interesting is that it's been changed to an XP-E, which should improve the beam a bit - no more Cree rings.

dandism

Enlightened
Are these easy to open up? I've been wanting to put an XP-G in my ITP but I can can't get the sucker to open up safely.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
this brings back memories of the L0D Q4, and much debate as to why they didnt put a Q5 in there... :grin2:

Crenshaw

mightysparrow

Enlightened

-------------------------------

One could quibble with the observation (above) that the LDO1 with the R2 is a step behind the Preon I, because the middle output level of the LD01 with R2 is much higher than the middle output level of the Preon I. That makes a significant difference in their usefulness to me. That's also why I plan to get a Preon kit, so I can get the higher mid-level of the Preon II, as well as the small size of the Preon I.

TheInvader

Newly Enlightened
I'm staying with my LD01 Q5. 5 more lumens to me isn't worth another flashlight.
I'll have to say that the runtime on my Q5 on high is only about 15 minutes to 50% on a Energizer NIMH AAA 850mAh. And it gets damn hot for a flashlight that size. Hot, like think dropping it because it's hot.

Tranx

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I was just about to buy the LD01 Q5, when I saw there is a new R2.

What should I buy (not both!:D)?

Are there beamshots of both?
Someone said the R2 will have a better beam?

Greetings,
Tranx

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
It's also changed in the serial number (whatever it's called) in the 4sevens page.

Personally, I like the iTP A3's level spacing a lot better, and it's smaller, not to mention 90%+ Fenix's build quality for half price

A step up to an R2 from a Q5 is a marginal improvement at best. Personally, unless you really needed the extra 5 minutes of runtime (the brightness difference is really unintelligible), there's no point stepping up anything less than a whole letter grade (P4>Q5>R5 etc)

HKJ did a comparison of lights including the iTP A3, the LD01 XR-E and the new LD01 XP-E.

"Beamshots newer AAA lights including penlights"
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/255710

I don't think the results support your prediction. It seems like the difference between the high of the LD01 XP-E and the high of the other two lights could be called significant

iTP A3 (link) ,

LD01 XR-E (link) ,

LD01 XP-E (link)

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Thanks for the comparison. Although I've seen these photos before, they make a good point here.

FWIW I'm not enamored of the beam from my LD01 XR-E.