Unfortunate news re: My Jet IIIM

Windex

Newly Enlightened
Well, I'm of the school of thought, while on duty that two is one and that one is none.

That saved my butt tonight when I got into a foot chase when a guy ran from a traffic stop after providing us some false info and some other "issues" that I can't get into on a public forum.

Foot chase lasted about 1/4 mile... that sucker was quick. In the end, we got him ... however there was a casualty. I have no clue where my IIIM went. It probably fell out when I fell down a hill.... but dammit I kept chasing him even after I fell..... :cool:

I probably use the Jet IIIM 70-75% of the time and my Streamlight LEDC4 the rest of the time.... mainly due to the longer battery life and the larger size of the light (easier to arm-pit hold)

I'll have to resort to my spare 6p for a while and save up fundage for another IIIM.... great light, works great for duty.... just pissed that I lost it.

On the bright side :)green:) at least someone is going to get a good free light when they find it :mecry: :oops::crackup:

msloshooter

Newly Enlightened
Good job on catching that idiot... sorry to hear about your light. Jetbeam seems like a good duty light, I use Fenix (TK11 on belt, TK30 primary) and they work very good also. Glad to know I am not the only cop who knows more than Streamlight and Surefire.

Stay safe brother, we have lost too many this year. Times seem to be changing for the worst. It looks like all of the years of underfunding Law Enforcement are starting to catch up.

Windex

Newly Enlightened
Good job on catching that idiot... sorry to hear about your light. Jetbeam seems like a good duty light, I use Fenix (TK11 on belt, TK30 primary) and they work very good also. Glad to know I am not the only cop who knows more than Streamlight and Surefire.

Stay safe brother, we have lost too many this year. Times seem to be changing for the worst. It looks like all of the years of underfunding Law Enforcement are starting to catch up.

I agree... we had a few officers shot at recently,.... and the suspects were NOT using pistols.... use your imagination.

The Jeatbeam does have its weaknesses in the field... but there is no perfect product. I am really happy with the jet flashlight..... will be a no brainer to get another when the holidays are over.

Windex

Newly Enlightened
should get a more secure holster so it won't happen again.:oops:

Take a good 20 foot tumble down a hill while at a full sprint and see what doesn't fall off of your person with a duty belt.

The flashlight wasn't the only thing missing :sick2:

Unfortunately, its not just about the holster. In foot pursuits, anything that can happen will. I have seen guys lose their radios, Asp, and even a backup gun (ankle holster) during foot pursuits. If you have a holster that is very secure, you will have a hard time getting the light out when you need it.

Perk to an open bottom baton holder.... you can holster your baton when it's expanded.
Drawback.... damn thing expanded and was hitting me in the butt when I ran :)

Last edited:

msloshooter

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunately, its not just about the holster. In foot pursuits, anything that can happen will. I have seen guys lose their radios, Asp, and even a backup gun (ankle holster) during foot pursuits. If you have a holster that is very secure, you will have a hard time getting the light out when you need it.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunate loss of a great light!

Atleast you caught the suspect! If you had of missed him and lost your light, I'm sure you would feel even worse.

Stay safe out there!

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
tazer :poke:

from the videos ive watched on youtube, no one is going to run very far with 20,000 volts passing thru them :whistle:

tnforever

Newly Enlightened
Just a thought, can't you go back and look for it in your off time? Could save you a fair amount of money if you manage to retrieve it...

Viper715

Enlightened
Where did you say that foot chase was! I'll help you find it! hehehe! Just kidding. I am a LEO and have also fallen down a steep hill one time during a foot chase. I actually fractured my knee in the fall. I lost almost everything out of my belt. My Berretta in a triple retention holster even popped out and my radio and lights. The only thing I lost in that chase was a pair of glasses. I picked myself up grabbed my gun and caught up to the tired SOB. I was so up on adreniline I didn't even feel the pain from my knee until I had it in the middle of his back.

Another chase story never trust wrist lanyards. I had a Olight M20 on a lanyard and it broke and fell of in a chase. Luckily I always have extra lights on me and I went back and found it.

Good luck trying to find your light or finding a new one to buy.

sed6

Enlightened
I'm not that skooled in cop shop protocol, but can't you submit to your dept for reimbursement? I know budgets are tight but what if your $300 glasses or $600 gun or $30k cop car were lost or destroyed? At some point the dept is going to have to pay to replaced damaged gear. Sell the idea to your LT and let him pitch it to the chief for ya!

Vesper

Enlightened
Hey! I just found one of those! It was down at the bottom of a hill and it smelled like an arm-pit. :D

Keep it up though. We all appreciate what you guys do.

Windex

Newly Enlightened
I'm not that skooled in cop shop protocol, but can't you submit to your dept for reimbursement? I know budgets are tight but what if your $300 glasses or $600 gun or $30k cop car were lost or destroyed? At some point the dept is going to have to pay to replaced damaged gear. Sell the idea to your LT and let him pitch it to the chief for ya!

Car = Department Property
Gun = Department Property (Well, one of the ones I take to work is)
The uniform that got torn = department property

All other equipment is personally owned, well.. for my dept.... A lot of the issued gear is crap honestly, but it'll get the typical user by. I've paid to upgrade the light on my duty gun, i've bought additional handcuffs (issued one).... most officers out here get along with a "bulk order" $400-500 Kevlar vest.... I have over $2,000 in mine. In 5 years, I'll spend that much again.... along with other things.

We normally would get $400 a year (before taxes) to buy equipment/replace worn items, however due to the current budget shortcomings.... we do not get those.... as a matter of fact, all pay increases are frozen and overtime is tightly watched. I have no chance of getting a raise for at least 5 years.

Doesn't change the fact that I love this career.... I wouldn't trade it for anything. I have fun with things and don't take myself too seriously....

The only thing I care about is that I go home to my family at the end of the night.... that's all that matters.