Can NiteCore EZ CR2 use 3.7v rechargable batteries?

exe166

Newly Enlightened
Hello!

I just got my new NiteCore EZ CR2 flashlight!
Its awesome, small flashlight!
But locally batteries are very expensive. (10$ Each lol)
I want get rechargeable batteries.
But Is it safe to use them?

I wrote to 4seven (I bought there this flashlight) and they said:
Unfortunately, you cannot use
the rechargeable lithium ion cells in this light.

I wrote to <[email protected]>
and they said:
YES, EZ CR2 can go with 3V or 3.7V rechargeable, no problem. :)

Umm... I`m little bit confused...
Have anyone already tried 3.7 Rechargeable batteries?

BTW I know here are few similar threads but still no answer....
I`m thinking to get Ultrafire Rechargeable CR2 15266 3.6v Li-ion Battery x2
from ebay.

Thanks !

Last edited:

exe166

Newly Enlightened
Oh okay, thanks!

You are using 3.7 ( Not 3v) Volt batteries in NiteCore EZ CR2, right?

Then i`ll take 3.7 volt cr2 from ebay, because larger capacity!
Thanks!

bstrickler

Enlightened
I would say save that e-mail in case the light craps out due to you using a rechargeable battery, so if they decide to not cover it because you used one, you have an argument.

~Brian

hoongern

Enlightened
Oh okay, thanks!

You are using 3.7 ( Not 3v) Volt batteries in NiteCore EZ CR2, right?

Then i`ll take 3.7 volt cr2 from ebay, because larger capacity!
Thanks!

Just something which crossed my mind, you'll probably want to be careful ordering batteries from ebay. Others can probably chime in, because I can't remember the details, nor have I ever bought from ebay, but a lot of ebay batteries may have misleading specs or may not be new, etc.

Again, I don't have any experience in this area, so I'll let others speak =)

Also, afaik there aren't many RCR2 protected batteries (are there any?) - I've only seen unprotected ones (i.e. the ones on AW's liIon thread). So, if you haven't already read up on it (if you have, then never mind, but always a good reminder!), be careful about charging and overdischarging, etc, the general safety stuff.

exe166

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for advice! I`ll save that email.

I already ordered unprotected Ultrafire Rechargeable CR2 15266 3.6v Li-ion Battery x2 from ebay. There was a lot of good feedback about that seller, I think everything shold be fine.

Yeah, that sucks there are not any protected RCR2 cell. (Because they are too small i think...)
Okay thanks, I`ll read about unprotected cell charging.
I know my charger auto cut-off @ 4.2v I`m just worried about - how to know when i should stop using flashlight (battierie) when voltage is 2.75V. I`ll need time to time check them with multimeter. Cuz I don`t want kill them.

bstrickler

Enlightened
Just play around and do some runtime tests. On low, check every hour or so, until it reaches 2.8-2.9v, but memorize the 3.0v time, so you know you have a little extra time for if/when you need more time before you can change batteries for some reason.

~Brian

Xak

Enlightened
Where can I get 3.7V RCR2 bateries? I have a small tactical light (Streamlight TLR-3) for my compact semi-auto that uses CR2 batteries. I would love to have rechargeables for it.

exe166

Newly Enlightened
Thank bstrickler, I`ll try that.

Xak, On ebay ( I hope it`s allowed to post ebay links in this forum)

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where can I get 3.7V RCR2 bateries? I have a small tactical light (Streamlight TLR-3) for my compact semi-auto that uses CR2 batteries. I would love to have rechargeables for it.

Get them from AW in the dealers forum or lighthound.com, he sells AW's batteries.

fa__

Newly Enlightened
DX has some 3V rechargeable CR2, I'm waiting for a pair
sku.932

hoongern

Enlightened
I can't even imagine where on earth they got a 800mAh rating for those things... and 3.0V as well.. probably more like 250mAh... or I'll give them the benefit of the doubt - 350mAh.

As always, I will also recommend AW's batteries, although I'm not sure if his unprotected batteries are also made by himself. (At least, his 10440s are Soshines)

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
DX has some 3V rechargeable CR2, I'm waiting for a pair
sku.932

I have a number of these cells and have been using them for some time with very good results in my CR2 lights: Surefire Titan, LiteFlux LF4 and now Nitecore EZ CR2. :grin2:

Surely their capacity is nowhere near the stated one, but this is probably valid for most Li-ion's :(

fa__

Newly Enlightened
I never said anything about their quality because I don't own any yet, I just mentionned they do exist ;)
I'm waiting for one pair of those to use in my ezCR2
And be sure to use a 3V charger !
(and I have the same doubt about the capacity :) )

hoongern

Enlightened
I never said anything about their quality because I don't own any yet, I just mentionned they do exist ;)
I'm waiting for one pair of those to use in my ezCR2
And be sure to use a 3V charger !
(and I have the same doubt about the capacity :) )

Haha, I think that I was just so taken aback when I saw what was labeled on them. But anyway - hope they work well :)

fa__

Newly Enlightened
Got mine
Concerning capacity, at 0.8A discharge rate, it's around 180mAh
(the EZCR2 draws 0.8A in high)

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've done some testing with these dx LifePo4 cells and AW's Li-ion cells. The light draws 0.61A on high with the 3v dx cells and runs for between 15 and 18 minutes before flickering starts, I've done this test with about 8 cells.

With the AW Li-ion cells the light draws 0.66A on high and is actually notciably brighter due to the higher voltage, I would guess from comparisons with dx cells it is c. 120lumens and with AW it is c. 150lumens. It ran from 4.15v to 3.6v in 25minutes exactly, which is a noticable improvement in runtime as well.

On the whole the AW's have more capacity and give the light a greater punch, but they are unprotected and so need to be used with more care and caution that the LifePO4 cells on dx.

Also my AW rcr2 and 10440 cels refuse to charge to more than 4.15v on my chargers before they measure as full, all of my other cells go to 4.2-4.24v before this happens, does anyone know if this is normal behaviour?