New Polystinger Switch Failure

Rocketman

Enlightened
Hi there. Over a year ago I made a thread here about my (then) new Stinger LED flashlight. I liked it a lot. After awhile the switch failed. I am quite disappointed to say that today my new Polystinger LED is exhibiting the first symptom of what happened a year ago: The switch won't keep the light on, it is functioning as a momentary switch.

I removed the battery for 5 minutes, hung my laundry, inserted the battery and it is now working. Well, this worked a year ago on my first Stinger LED also but then the switch failed completely.

I just want folks to know that the switch problem that I had a year ago is apparently still there in the new Polystinger.

You know, these Stinger LED's are the perfect light IMO if only, IF ONLY STREAMLIGHT WOULD GO FIND A GOOD SWITCH OMG I AM SO DISAPPOINTED.

Edit: If you have any suggestions or if you have had similar problems please reply if for no other reason that to help Streamlight focus on the problem.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Find your closest Streamlight warranty shop/store and have them replace the switch. There will be no charge.

Bill

bkumanski

Enlightened
+1
One of the advantages of Streamlight products is the great warranty (lifetime) and the huge amount of dealers and repair facilities available. BTW, the new Streamlight LEDs don't have a traditional switch, it is a digital one, so there is not really an "ON' and "OFF" per-se. With these new switches, there could be a problem with the board too (why when you pulled the battery it reset the problem). At an rate, Streamlight will take care of it for free.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does one problem on your light equate to a widespread problem?

I have two poly's, and neither has any problems. I have multiple coworkers using them, without problems. I doubt it's systemic with the model.

Rocketman

Enlightened
Find your closest Streamlight warranty shop/store and have them replace the switch. There will be no charge.

Bill

I will have to mail it in to the factory. However, producing a light, selling it to a dealer who then sells it to me and a few months later I mail it to a factory for repair whereupon it is returned to me is not the solution. The solution is to produce a Stinger LED with a switch that does not break.

Rocketman

Enlightened
Does one problem on your light equate to a widespread problem?

I have two poly's, and neither has any problems. I have multiple coworkers using them, without problems. I doubt it's systemic with the model.

Well I don't know if the problem is widespread, it might be considering that perhaps my two Stingers were random samples and both of them have apparently a faulty switch.

Now, if Brightguy has singled me out and is sending me faulty Stingers, then of course, my two faulty Stingers are not representative.

However, it is encouraging that you know of several that are working. I have been using mine on low output for taking count, perhaps this has stressed the circuitry in ways that many users do not.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Go ahead and have Streamlight fix yours. There are several million Stingers out there, used by LEO's all over the country, and other agencies, also many auto repair shops, and private parties.

Bill

Rocketman

Enlightened
I got to thinking that the problem with my switch was that it's circuit was confused as to what state it was in because again I took it off the charger and it would not stay on. I removed the battery for a minute but when I put the battery back in the switch continued to function as a momentary on switch. However, I put it back in the charger momentarily and the switch corrected itself. So it seem that, right now, the switch circuit is in an improper state when taken off the charger. I hope that is all it is, I can work with that.
I'll keep you posted as to whether this continues to work. lovecpf

Rocketman

Enlightened
To give an update on my situation, my new polystinger led is now completely broken in the same way that my last stinger led was broken, the switch will not keep the light on.

The light has never been dropped or hit on anything, the failure must be a fault in the switch circuit.

I realize there is a warranty on this light however I believe the switch circuit is faulty and therefore I can't trust the light, this is my second stinger led which has failed in the same way, be warned.