Got my Quark Preon and Mini 123 today! Initial reviews on both with lots of pics!

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
I got my Quark Mini 123 and Preon today after a long time of waiting out the preorders. They were both well worth the wait! 4Sevens is putting out some serious flashlights with the newest tech at unbelievable prices. I got the Quark AAx2 when it first came out (Cree XP-E emitter, but I don't really care it's plenty bright enough for me) and the Quark Mini and Preon just add to the quality and ingenuity that I noticed in the original Quark. I have carried my Quark AAx2 since I got it and really like the quality that this light was made with. It is obviously very similar to the Fenix line of AAx2 lights, but many improvements have been made to the Quark that I've always felt lacking in the Fenix line.

All 4Sevens lights now come with Cree's newest XP-G emitter. This is there most efficient LED, which allows the maximum brightness for the power used. All 4Sevens flashlights have square cut threads, glass lenses, and Type III Anodizing to name a few perks. The two lights I'm reviewing today both work on a 3 brightness UI. On the Preon you click to cycle through the leves, on the Mini you twist and untwist to cycle. A big selling point of the 4Sevens line for me is the simplicity of all of the UI menus. It's clicks and twists and that's it. The useless modes like SOS and Beacon are very buried on all 4Sevens lights, so if you don't want to use them, you will never see them. If you do want to use them, there's a little more clicking than usual, but they're all there.

Quark Mini 123:
The Quark Mini 123 in unbelievably small! I knew it was going to be small, but it is ridiculous how tiny this thing is. The modes are perfectly spaced and I thought I wouldn't like the UI (3 preset modes without memory), but I guess it just takes the right brightness levels to appreciate a simple UI. I am still up in the air as to weather the high is too high . This thing is extremely bright on high and would be perfect in a defensive situation, but the three twists kind of eliminates that option for many situations. The high level may have been better suited a little lower (for a longer runtime), but I'd most likely be complaining about not having a brighter high if that were the case. I think I will grow to like how bright the high it is only because the medium level is perfectly adjusted for working at night at close range. There are definitely times when I can use a light that is so bright it requires a warning.

Preon
The Preon is very nice to hold and fits well in the front left pocket (knife is in the front right and bigger light in the back right next to the wallet). I have never owned a 2xaaa light before because I always thought it was stupid to have a light that was only a little smaller than a 2xAA. The Preon gives up very little in brightness and runtime for the real life benefit of a much smaller full size light. This thing hides in the pocket, yet it is easy to hold and shines much brighter than any 2xAA I had last year. The brightness levels are also great on this guy and the high is incredibly bright for a 2xAAA light. The button is fantastic (aluminum model) and it is very easy to get to high right away (click press, soft press, soft press). I am very glad that 4Sevens went with an all metal button instead of a rubber boot, it gives this light a very unique character. The anodizing on this light is very well done and exudes quality. It has a texture you can't exactly feel but you can sense, almost like it's rubber coated. I do not think I have ever seen a piece of aluminum with better anodizing than my Preon. The price is amazingly low for 2 bodies, 2 clips, and the option of clicky or twisty.

If you are in the market for a new light with a cutting edge emitter, Quark has it in any battery type now. I have an Ra Twisty in the mail and these two lights have taken away a lot of the anticipation that the Ra Twisty had created.

DSC02935.jpg

DSC02939.jpg

DSC02941.jpg

DSC02944.jpg

DSC02946.jpg

DSC02949.jpg

DSC02950.jpg

DSC02951.jpg

DSC02953.jpg

DSC02957.jpg

DSC02959.jpg

DSC02960.jpg

A few simple beam shots. These were taken on the same settings on my camera, but it still adjust to the light and they all look the same brightness. This mostly shows that the two lights are somewhat similar in brightness and beam pattern. The Quark Mini123 is on the left and the Preon is on the right.

Both lights on High:
High.jpg

Both lights on Medium:
Medium.jpg

Both lights on Low:
Low.jpg

Last edited:

JohnF

Enlightened
Re: Got my Quark Preon and Mini 123 today!

Preon 2xAAA: I think this has as good of a beam shape for my tastes as any light I've owned. The really broad hotspot melts smoothly into spill (I'm more of a flood guy.) I measured current draw to see how this little thing could spit out so much light on high - 1000 ma.!!! Obviously runtime is very short on max, but there are times when you just need 15 seconds of extra light, and for this it is fantastic and won't kill runtime. Medium (170 ma.) is perfect for walking at night, and low (40 ma.) makes it a great reading light. I wouldn't change the settings one bit, and in this case I'm glad I can't.

Thanks for your comments on the mini123, I'd give it more thought if I didn't have so many 123 lights as is. Another Preon might be in my future, though. (Mine is the Ti 2xAAA, thinking of the 'kit' aluminum).

John F

Xak

Enlightened

How about a CR2 Quark? That would be cool.

michaelmcgo

Enlightened

How about a CR2 Quark? That would be cool.

I don't think you'd gain much by going to a CR2. The Quark Mini 123 is so incredibly small, it's even shorter than Nitecore's EZ CR2. I think that shrinking the 123 to it's absolute minimum is a great balance between size and runtime. I turned the Mini 123 on high for 18 minutes yesterday and it never got warm enough to worry me in the slightest. The whole flashlight warmed up evenly and dissipated the heat very well. I was holding and using the light, but it's size means that you are heat sinking a lot more of the surface area than a something like a 6P where you only hold the battery tube.

Quark Mini 123: 2.3" x 0.8" (Max: 189 OTF lumens, 1.2 hours)
NiteCore EZ CR2: 2.5" x 0.7" (Max: 130 lumens for up to 50 minutes)
And the Nitecore's lumens are always overrated...

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
I added some pics and enlarged the reviews after a day of use. I think I will post this all in the User thread as well.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why did 4Sevens choose to go with a PWM driver, and not constant current? It seems like runtimes are shorter than they should be, so efficiency must not be as good.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thankyou for your pictures and input I can't decide to buy a mini123 or not. If it started in medium and not low I would be all over it, I'm sure I will be anyway.

da.gee

Enlightened
And then someone would say if it started on low and not medium... Obviously it is a personal preference.

gbelleh

Newly Enlightened
Why can't someone make a small, simple, twisty, 3-mode light that just allows the user to program the order the modes activate? It seems this would be the hit of the century here at CPF, and would finally end the L-M-H vs. M-L-H debate.

brianch

Enlightened
I have to wait till around Christmas for my quark to arrive :(:sigh: Congrats on the lights though, always great to receive new gadgets

Viper715

Enlightened
Why can't someone make a small, simple, twisty, 3-mode light that just allows the user to program the order the modes activate? It seems this would be the hit of the century here at CPF, and would finally end the L-M-H vs. M-L-H debate.

I think they have and it's called the Liteflux LF2 and LF2X and it hasn't ended the debate.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both lights on High:
High.jpg

Both lights on Medium:
Medium.jpg

Both lights on Low:
Low.jpg

Weird thing is it looks like the Preon is brighter than the Mini123... the only thing is that the Mini123 seems like it has a brighter low than the Preon... does anyone else notice this?

OpticalSerenity

Newly Enlightened
I can attest to how unique the texture on the Preon is. It definitely feels grippy and super soft like rubber, but it isn't rubber, it's a very strong anodized surface that I think will last a very long time.

It's hard to explain how wonderful the Preon is until you hold on. They are amazingly bright, and ridiculously low priced.

Se7en

Newly Enlightened
I hope this isn't considered hijacking....
Now that you have received your Quark Mini, did you get a holster with it? I know it's available as an accessory but I don't know if it comes along in the flashlight package. And do the Quark Mini holsters have a belt loop or just a D-ring?

Thanks, Se7eN