Head-to-head comparisions of all lights.

CoyoteRed

Newly Enlightened
As a rank newbie here, I've looked around and I can't seem to find any kind of ranking, in terms of brightness, of the flashlights talked about here. I could have overlooked it, though, I know.

Here's my problem, being new to the light game I'm somewhat confused by some of the terms and it seems as though most have inside knowledge of what is what in terms of what's brighter than the rest.

For instance, the EverLED SE has been mentioned by one as slightly brighter than a stock 4D Mag, yet someone else says it's not because it heats up and self regulates. ???

Another issue (beside my proofreading skills) is the 2AA MiniMag conversions. How do these compare to a 4D Mag? See what I mean? I need real world comparisions to stock lights so I know what I can expect.

I've read this and that, but with some lights being messured in Lux, some in Lumens and yet others in Candle Power, add to that literature saying that you can't really convert between or the other... arrgg!

Personally, I'm not looking for night peircing brightness. My 4D Mag is fine, maybe a little brighter, but that's it. What I use it for, it's off and on. I don't need something that's going to ruin my night vision. I DO need to light up dark shadows inside stumps and other hard to light areas bright enough to overcome the difference of the outside on a bright day. (Did that make sense?) The 4D Mag does this for me.

The reason I'm here is I recently handled a SF C3. I never knew these types of lights even existed. I sure loved the power of a 4D Mag in the package not much better than my 2AA MiniMag. The price tag was a little put-off, though.

If could have a relatively inexpensive package in the formfactor of a MiniMag that cast a smooth even 2'-3' spot at my feet that is as bright as a 4D mag and used NiMH (Alks if I had to), I'd be happy with that. Would the MadMax work for this?

Also, is mention of INOVA X5's taboo here? I haven't seen much mention of this light that I've read elsewhere people love.

Thanks is advance for helping a newbie.

CR

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Careful...

After reading through Craig's site, you might find your wallet quite a bit lighter...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
CoyoteRed said: ...
Also, is mention of INOVA X5's taboo here? I haven't seen much mention of this light that I've read elsewhere people love.

Thanks is advance for helping a newbie.

CR

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all ... the Inova X5T is a fine light. It is just that the recent release of the Surefire L4 is getting a lot of attention right now. I own both White and Blue Inova X5T's.

The X5T is not very good for throw, but a very nice short to medium distance flood light. The blue is slightly brighter, but the white gives better color identification.

The next forum down from here deals with LED lights, that is where you might be able to find more, just do a search.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I came here a few months ago, I was hoping there would be an easy answer like you seek. It would be a neatly packaged list in descending order of all the lights, their relative brightness and how they compare to each other. Deep down inside you realize this list doesn't exist and the only thing left to do is to start reading posts in all the sections. At least that is what I've done, and slowly but surely you start building your own knowledge base. I have purchased a lot of lights just so I could see for myself how I think they compare to each other. I found out for example that the Pelican M6 (6 volt light) would out throw much more expensive lights simply because it could be focused to a tighter beam and be more efficient. Just like my Blaster II by Elektrolumens will throw farther than any other 1 watt light that (I) have seen because of it's ability to focus tightly. I could go on but you get my point. Some of the lights I have purchased (if selected wisely) I have sold to other flashaholics for very little loss and have thus been able to turnover lights just to see what they would do, sort of experimenting if you will. As you read posts you will draw conclusions in other ways as well. Welcome to the forums and good luck as you will find out that the only thing most people here use mag lights for is so that they can use them as hosts for mods like Mr Bulk and his Spaceneedle II.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<font color="red">"Also, is mention of INOVA X5's taboo here? </font>
Taboo, no. Passe', yes. There are certainly others that seem to have supplanted the X5 (original model) in the "...ohh, ahh" category. Most here are constantly looking for a better, brighter, and smaller flashlight.

I have carried the X5 daily since I acquired it in the Fall of 2001. I have purchased 1 other light (I eventually gave it to someone who needed it more than I) in this category but have remained carrying the X5 because I find it very useful and convenient.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Above they have some excellent sites for light comparison.

It seems a 2 - 123 cell light might be what you are looking for.

Surefire G2
Streamlight Scorpion
Brinkmann Legend LX
Dorcy Spyder

All of these should be brighter than your 4D mag and can be had for less than $30US.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
You might want to check out the Pelican M6 also.
Good luck with your search. You can learn a lot here
on CPF & have fun at the same time.