Do SSC emitters project an emitter pattern?

Mike_TX

Enlightened
I see the SSC has a 4-segment emitter, somewhat like the P4 I have in one of my DX zooming lights. That P4 throws a squarish image of the emitter at anything resembling close range, and I don't like that.

So, does the square SSC produce a squarish beam shape like the P4? Or does it produce a nice round beamshot?

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see the SSC has a 4-segment emitter, somewhat like the P4 I have in one of my DX zooming lights. That P4 throws a squarish image of the emitter at anything resembling close range, and I don't like that.

So, does the square SSC produce a squarish beam shape like the P4? Or does it produce a nice round beamshot?

Yes it will, at certain focal distances when used with an aspherical style or optic style lens as used in the DX zooming lights. It won't in a reflector based light.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
SSC is Seoul Semiconductor, one of the main power LED manufacturers. It is not a specific type of LED. Since you say it's 4-segment, I think you may be discussing the P7?

P4, in the context you're using it, is also not a specific type of LED; it's a luminous flux (total brightness) bin for Cree (another one of the big manufacturers) LEDs. TheR-E; P4 is also the name of an SSC LED type, so you can see where confusion could arise...

Anyway, the square beam is a result of a square die and focused optics. Any emitter with a visible die will have the same effect, and a quad-die like the P7 will be worse. If you must eliminate it, at significant cost to throw, frosting the dome somehow would be an option, I guess.

Mike_TX

Enlightened
SSC is Seoul Semiconductor, one of the main power LED manufacturers. It is not a specific type of LED. Since you say it's 4-segment, I think you may be discussing the P7?

P4, in the context you're using it, is also not a specific type of LED; it's a luminous flux (total brightness) bin for Cree (another one of the big manufacturers) LEDs. TheR-E; P4 is also the name of an SSC LED type, so you can see where confusion could arise...

Anyway, the square beam is a result of a square die and focused optics. Any emitter with a visible die will have the same effect, and a quad-die like the P7 will be worse. If you must eliminate it, at significant cost to throw, frosting the dome somehow would be an option, I guess.

Sorry - I'm fairly new to this game and admittedly don't understand all the designations. The P4 I was referring to is an MC-E P4-WC, DX sku 26798. It throws this pattern:

MCEP4.jpg

The SSC I'm referring to is a Trustfire P7 F16 SSC P7-WC, bestofferbuy sku 442/503. The emitter shows to be a 4-segment square (and I was under the misconception the SSC emitters were all made this way - my bad).

The beamshots shown on the bestofferbuy website show a round hotspot beam pattern, and I assumed the reflector shaped it. But I wanted to be sure it wasn't just a "burned-out" image cloaking the actual shape.

I have a couple of XRE R2-WC lights and a Romisen RC-K4, all of which throw a nice round hotspot with no weird shapes, and I wanted that kind of performance.

The 4-segmented emitter just made me wonder.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
the "MC-E" is Cree's quad-die led, like the "P7" from Seoul, both showing those 4 "squares"
(4 emitter plates inside one led housing)

that beamshot posted above, that clearly is no MC-E or P7, that is a single emitter - behind an aspherical lense and in full focus.
One guess: its this light, or one of its other battery brothers?
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14450
that is a Cree "XR-E" single emitter (possibly in output class "P4")

... if You push the front part back, there will be a round beam
(remember: "focusing" light) ;)

Mike_TX

Enlightened
the "MC-E" is Cree's quad-die led, like the "P7" from Seoul, both showing those 4 "squares"
(4 emitter plates inside one led housing)

that beamshot posted above, that clearly is no MC-E or P7, that is a single emitter - behind an aspherical lense and in full focus.
One guess: its this light, or one of its other battery brothers?
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14450
that is a Cree "XR-E" single emitter (possibly in output class "P4")

... if You push the front part back, there will be a round beam
(remember: "focusing" light) ;)

Well, it's actually http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26798, which is a cousin of the one you cited.

DX describes it as "Flood-to-Throw Zooming Cree P4-WC", under the MC-E section of their LED flashlights.

But you made me curious, so I broke out the macro lens and shot pix of the emitters on both the zooming flashlight described as MC-E P4 and the fixed-focus light described as XR-E R2:

MCEP4_2.jpg

XRER2.jpg

They bear a surprising resemblance, physically.

Yes, I know if I zoom out (which is by twisting the head on this particular light), the pattern goes away. But at about 6 feet from my wall, I have to zoom out to an 18-24" beamspot to get away from the square pattern. My fixed-focus XR-E makes a lot tighter beamspot at that distance.

Bottom line is that I like throwers and tight beamspots, and I've been blaming the emitter. Maybe the blame lies more with the lack of a reflector and the use of an aspherical focusing lens. :shrug:

litemax

Newly Enlightened
Well, it's actually http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26798, which is a cousin of the one you cited.

DX describes it as "Flood-to-Throw Zooming Cree P4-WC", under the MC-E section of their LED flashlights.

But you made me curious, so I broke out the macro lens and shot pix of the emitters on both the zooming flashlight described as MC-E P4 and the fixed-focus light described as XR-E R2:

Both are XR-E. Dealextreme just mislabeled them.

Mike_TX

Enlightened
Both are XR-E. Dealextreme just mislabeled them.

Interesting. I'm going to see about getting another head and converting this to a fixed-focus. This setup doesn't wring the most out of this emitter.

Thanks.