Looking for something I can plug a 5mm LED into.

fyrstormer

Banned
Hours of searching without having the slightest clue what they were called eventually revealed something called "flea clips", but I want the smallest ones I can possibly find -- I want ones that have a square profile and are just barely big enough for the leads on a 5mm LED to fit into. I'm thinking like the size of the electrical contacts inside a CPU socket. Anyone know where I can find loose flea clips that small?

Illum

Flashaholic
If you do find them I'd imagine the minimum order might be on the grounds of 1000:candle:

I have no idea what your referring to...well, I do...but not that CPU pin small

fyrstormer

Banned
I guess 5mm LED leads are somewhat bigger than CPU pins, but I know they're the same size as the pins used in motherboard headers. There has to be something out there that has a solderable brass pin on one end and a socket small enough to hold a 5mm LED lead tightly on the other end.

I really don't care if I have to buy a bag of 1000 of them. It would still only take up as much space as a wad of dollar bills.

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dunno if these are the size you want, but in our lab we buy a strip of these then cut them to the required size.

You probably don't want to buy it from Australia, so when you're searching, keywords are "socket" "SIP" and "PC board".

Last edited:

balou

Enlightened
You could also buy DIP sockets and cut them apart. Advantage over SIP sockets is that they're easier to find.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
IDE hard drive connectors, dremel a pair off of it and sand it down.

*the connectors on the big ribbon cables, if you have one sitting around

fyrstormer

Banned
The reason I need bare ones is because I can't spare the room for the plastic shrouding. Those SIP connectors might just be the ticket though, if I can pull the pins out of the plastic.