Help me pick a $40 Amazon light

javajoe

Newly Enlightened
Hey Guys.

I currently have a few LED flashlights with my best being a Romisen RC-A4 II Cree Q5 from ShiningBeam. As many of you have probally experienced my Wife has been giving me a hard time about my flashlight collection/hobby/interest. However, shockingly, I recently got a $40 gift card to Amazon for my birthday and she suggeted that I use it for a new light! So, anyone have any suggestions for something that will be brighter/better than my Romisen?

My only requirement it that it takes 1-2 rcr123a's or 1-2 AA's as that is what I currently already own in rechargeables.

thanks in advance.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazon honestly isn't the best place to buy flashlights, but if you must, here are a few recommendations:

Do a search for led flashlights and then narrow it down to the 25-50 dollar range. There are a number of fenixes in the 40-50 dollar range that aren't bad and only a little over your price range.

Also check out the duracell daylite 2xcr123, supposed to be a pretty decent light.

There is also the rayovac sportsman xtreme line and they have a pretty good 2xAA light, a 3xC light and lantern.

javajoe

Newly Enlightened
Amazon honestly isn't the best place to buy flashlights, but if you must, here are a few recommendations:

Do a search for led flashlights and then narrow it down to the 25-50 dollar range. There are a number of fenixes in the 40-50 dollar range that aren't bad and only a little over your price range.

Also check out the duracell daylite 2xcr123, supposed to be a pretty decent light.

There is also the rayovac sportsman xtreme line and they have a pretty good 2xAA light, a 3xC light and lantern.

You make a good point, I wish I had a giftcard to Shiningbeam...

If That duracell actually can output 160 lumens than it is a contender, although I'm not crazy about it's styling with the copper top and all. Anyone know if it can handle rcr123a's or just 3.0 volt primaries?

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
If size is not a factor, the Dorcy 220 lumen rechargeable is one light I highly recommend. It comes with its own battery that charges within the light using either of its two chargers (standard AC and car chargers).

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
sell the amazon card to someone and then spend the cash where you want.:twothumbs

Muddquez

Newly Enlightened
a little over budget but check out the
T100 Tenergy Premium LED 230 Lumens
R90 Tenergy Premium LED Flashlight with Cree 7090 XR-E 190 Lumens
they look like rebranded ITP lights

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

photon fiddler

Newly Enlightened
The Amazon selection might be better than you think.

In recent searches, I have found (at least some) models of the following brands: NiteCore, Olight, 4Sevens, JETBeam, Fenix, SureFire, Streamlight, Tenergy(iTP C Series I believe), Tiablo, UltraFire and NovaTac.

If you're willing to chip in some extra, a great choice might be a Quark Q123 from Kandlepower. :D

javajoe

Newly Enlightened
I was gonna offer buying it off of you for 35 bucks so you could buy a fenix E20, but:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GAOO8M/?tag=cpf0b6-20

35 bucks + free shipping.

I highly recommend it if you don't want to go over budget. I own one and it is a great light.

You could also get the fenix ld01, great keychain flashlight, 35.99 with free shipping:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001K3HJXM/?tag=cpf0b6-20

I wonder how either of these fenixes would compare in brightness to my Romisen RC-A4 II Q5. Whatever light I chose will need to be cooler looking or brighter than the romisen (hopefully both), which I'm starting to think is impossible for $40 at Amazon.

Maybe I'll get an iTP A3 EOS to upgrade my current keychain 1 AAA dorcy and spend the rest on a Blu-Ray

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002XYB8PW/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Either that or wait it out and hope I get another $40 for christmas and get the Fenix TK10 and a blu-ray.
I really like the way the TK10 looks in Olive.

Last edited:

javajoe

Newly Enlightened
just saw the bezel adjusts the mode for the TK10---VERY cool much better than a clicky that i have to flash all the time to ensure im in the right mode

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
By all means get the tk10 if you are willing to go over your budget. However, for 70 bucks you can get a higher performance light that isn't on amazon, although it won't have the mode ring.

The ITP is a great light from what I hear so if that is what you want, def get it. Get one for your wife too and skip the blu ray and earn some brownie points. However, I'd be careful getting it off amazon, the one seller I see there is unverified and has no rating. You could get it for the same price from an actually trustworthy seller somewhere else.

Don't write off the E20 though. You will appreciate the build quality and the maglite adjustable head on the e20 is very handy.

photon fiddler

Newly Enlightened
Just thought I should add...

Should anyone see my earlier mention of 4Sevens and by some 'unexplained compulsion' :D find their way to the Amazon (Kandlepower) listing for the QAA^2 described as "neutral white limited-run"... well, the description IS INCORRECT.

Don't ask me how I know this. :sigh:

javajoe

Newly Enlightened
Just thought I should add...

Should anyone see my earlier mention of 4Sevens and by some 'unexplained compulsion' :D find their way to the Amazon (Kandlepower) listing for the QAA^2 described as "neutral white limited-run"... well, the description IS INCORRECT.

Don't ask me how I know this. :sigh:
thanks for the suggestion. I know the quark lights are very popular here, but the styling is a little too plain for my taste

Fenris

Enlightened
For $6.98 more you could get a Proton Pro w/ free shipping.
It's not the brightest light, but it's relatively unique and useful.
Made in the USA if that means anything to you.