C3 comparison pics request and questions

Drjones

Enlightened
Hi all.

So I just heard the neighbor's dog making a serious ruckus (probably a darn cat/raccoon/whatever) and went to investigate with the shottie and G30. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Mom had the light.

Don't laugh; a 2C (yes, C) cell maglight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Though everything checked out OK, this incident very strongly and suddenly rekindled my desire to buy a Surefire, something which I have been putting off for a while. I do not think it wise for me to do so for much longer.

I thought I had settled on a C2 as the perfect compromise between carryability and brightness, but I'm thinking the C3 would be better because it is still carryable yet could also be a "nightstand" light.

1) Could someone please post pics of a C2 and C3 next to some common objects? I find it very helpful if you could post pics of the lights in your hand, as it gives a better point of reference for me, but also include some everyday objects that would help as a size reference. Thank you in advance.

2) Would the C3 be a good nightstand light? Obviously the M4 or M6 would be ideal, but those are waaaay more than I want to spend, and I like the fact that the C3 is still a "reasonable" size, IMO. (With the HOLA in the C3, that is)

3) I've asked before, but I'll ask again: Is it possible to carry the C3 on body relatively comfortably? I'm used to a firearm and huge folding knife IWB (Strider Tac GB) so I don't think a light would be that bad. Yes, I'd plan on simply clipping it IWB or perhaps a sheath.

Do many people here carry a C3 on a regular basis?

4) It has already been covered and most say that the 3-cell SF's are worth the price and size increase for the added light. I just want to reiterate; is that true? Is there a substantial enough increase in light to justify the extra size of the C3 over the C2? (I'm more concerned about the size than the $20 or so.)

Thank you all so very much!
Drjones

T

TACTICAL WAREHOUSE

You need a custom SureFire C3 with a SureFire M2 bezel, Z48 clickie tailswitch and P91 lamp assembly! BTW, I know where you can get one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dan.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought my dad a C3 for his birthday on Sunday. He really likes it, so i'll try and pry it away from him so that i can take some beamshots compared to my Tigerlight and L4.

I'm not promising anything though, i'm kind of busy at the moment with summer school.

I can tell you however, that the C3's hotspot is not as focused as my old E2. I THINK it has the same diameter hotspot as my L4 at 25+ feet, but with almost twice the lumen output. Shining the light in my backyard has convinced me that the 9V series of Surefire's are serious duty tools (but so are all their lights). The "wall of light" that came out of that C3 was more usufull than my Tigerlight's.

Is the light comfortable to carry? NO. I feel that the E series lights are the largest you can carry comfortably. The C3 is considerably beefier and longer than the E2 and L4. It does have a pocket clip, but if you insist on carrying it on your person, then this light belongs in your back pocket, or in a gear bag at most.

Is the extra light output worth it's price? Well... i haven't really had eneogh time with the light to determine that, but from the few seconds i did have with it, i would have to say, for a one hundred dollar light, YES. It is almost as bright as my Tigerlight and the C3 is bit more portable than the Tigerlight. Personally, i would prefer something brighter, but like your reasoning, the brighter Surefire lights (after the C3) aren't really made for everyday carry.

But...enoegh words, i'll try and get those pictures for you before Wednesday.

Catman10

Enlightened
I have a C3 and it is my favorite light. I would definately say it's worth the money. The C2 would definately be better for carrying, though. Other than that, I keep my C3 around the house and it feels very comfortable in my hand. Unless you have to carry it everywhere, I would definately go for it.

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
Drjones, what Dan said....it is the rig I use for just those unexpected nocturnal occasions.

too big for MY edc purposes.

It is a helluva strong light.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
C2 is carryable (i used to do so before i got my arc LS), but i think the C3 would be too long. a C3 with an M2 bezel would make a good nightstand light for you to use with your handgun though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Deanster

Enlightened
Z3 is my nightstand light for $88 until my M6 $300+ arrives. I'm really sensitive about what I carry on my person, so I may be a bad judge, but I wouldn't carry it. That said, I won't carry an E2 either. My G2 goes in my little tote bag, and the Z3 on the nightstand.

The Z3 isn't huge, and I believe it to be the smallest and lightest of the 3-cell series, as well as the cheapest. Price/performance can't be beat, esp. with the P91 HOLA. Perfect for 'bump-in-the-night', I think not great for EDC unless on a duty belt.

kb0rrg

Enlightened
I always keep the P91 in my C3. It P90 beam shape is very oval. I rarely carry it since my E2e is very easy to EDC as is bright enough 99% of the time, a lot easier on the batteries too.

When I carry the C3 it is in a holster. Be warned that the rubber ring prevents it from being used in most holsters unless it is removed (ugly) or is trimmed flush with the body of the light (this is what I did).

I find that anything over 60 lumens to be too much for a "night stand" light. It beam is just too debilitating to my night vision.

I would not advise anyone to own any SF unless they already have an E2e first.

emann

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
kb0rrg said:I would not advise anyone to own any SF unless they already have an E2e first.

[/ QUOTE ]Wise advise! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif