OLight K90 pics leaked (SST-90 light)

zemmo

Newly Enlightened
As many others have noted, what a great time to be a flashaholic!

I am in the market for a super led light, probably based on an SST-50 or 90. It seems the manufacturers are taking very different approaches to the battery required to power the SST-90 emitter. The upcoming Peak light is going to use one 38120P battery; the new Olight SST-90, is using 6X18650's. According to the tentative specs, the Peak is 2000 lumens, the Olight 2200.

Bring on the lights and the reviews:wow::eeksign::drunk::poof:

Last edited:

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesnt look like this one

Olight-Intimidator-K90-x800.jpg

ptolemy

Enlightened
I hope 2 things:

1. it will be a nice throwser with good hotspot (sst-90's are known to be floody).

2. custom battery packs can be made. they are using 2200mah sells, but we can use higher quality/density sells :)

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
A low mode of 700 lumens.....nice.:D

I love the heat sinking fins......

Obviously, there's no word on pricing? My guess is $300+

wesinator

Newly Enlightened
this isn't that impressive to me, it is just getting closer to to HIDs. This HID is basically the same thing and has been out for a while. http://tacticalhid.info/tactical-26w
SST-90s aren't that great efficiency wise. the HID gets 100 minutes with a 6x18650 battery pack while the SST-90 light only gets 70 minutes. so why not get the HID?

zemmo

Newly Enlightened
this isn't that impressive to me, it is just getting closer to to HIDs. This HID is basically the same thing and has been out for a while. http://tacticalhid.info/tactical-26w
SST-90s aren't that great efficiency wise. the HID gets 100 minutes with a 6x18650 battery pack while the SST-90 light only gets 70 minutes. so why not get the HID?

Why indeed? I'd say this calls for a comparo. LEDs are definitely climbing up the lumens ladder, I'm not sure that HIDs are still climbing down? I read somewhere that HID efficiency increased considerably up around 35 watts, do you think that's still true?

Last edited:

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
i prefer the compact size of that k50.

much more likely to have it with me if its a sensible size.

easilyled

Flashaholic

I think its much nicer that leds come on instantly rather than take quite a while to warm up before reaching the peak brightness like HIDs do.

Also the led should last a lifetime and never need to be replaced.

Harry999

Enlightened

I agree that I will probably carry the K50 in a belt holster so it will always be with me. The K90 would fit very well the rear compartment of my shoulder bag bezel up for easy accessibility. I like the idea of having a 2200 lumen led torch in reach - it would really "brighten" my day... :twothumbs

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
so why not get the HID?

Because it's still a bulb and can break AND takes time to warm up which is time/battery power lost...?

Also, let me put it this way, which light would you rather use to beat someone over the head with or use for some kind of emergency whacking? One with a bulb or led? Me, I LOVE the hell out of the idea of LED's vs bulbs.

Last edited:

ZRXBILL

Enlightened

I also agree that the K50 is a more appealing size and I'm sure it will also be muuuuuuuch cheaper.

I wonder what the battery arrangement will be on it???

Last edited:

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also agree that the K50 is a more appealing size and I'm sure it will aslo be muuuuuuuch cheaper.

I wonder what the battery arrangement will be on it???

4 x 18650? :thumbsup: